How Are The DSG Trannies Working Out?

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Just FYI the first U.S. VWs to get the DSG were the '05 New Beetle TDIs. Then the Jetta followed when the MkV cars were introduced as '05.5 cars. If you're looking at a 2004, it's got the older torque converter auto.
Not true. Beetle DSG's first available in 2004 model year. 03 and earlier beetles had problematic 01M's.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Since the DSG is essentially a manual transmission, which is mechanically shifted, what's the deal with it needing such expensive oil, and frequent changes?

The manuals can go for 200,000+ miles, with no change in oil.....if one is a notch anal, like me, they change the oil - at a cost of about $18.

I mean - I do get that the DSG, due to mechanical shifitng, is much more complex - but still, the gears themselves should be relatively similar.
This self study program for VW technicians will explain everything very clearly (complete with color-coded pictures!).

www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_308.pdf

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Unlike a typical manual transmission, the clutches in the DSG are wet clutches. Meaning, they are bathed in oil and the oil is designed to wear rather than the clutches. Also, the same fluid lubricates and cools the entire transmission.
The New Beetle TDI was available just about since the beginning in the late-90s with the ALH engine and either a 5-speed manual or the old 4-speed slushbox. 2004 introduced the BEW engine (Pumpe-Duse [PD]). And I think you're right, when the PD100 came onboard, so did the DSG, which means the 2004 did have the DSG. The New Beetle moved to its second generation in 2006 with carryover PD100 and DSG through the end of that model year when the TDI was discontinued (for emissions reasons) until it was reintroduced with the third (and current) generation car.
Just to have a quick moment of pedantry, we are currently on the 2nd generation Beetle, not the 3rd generation New Beetle. ;)

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Just FYI the first U.S. VWs to get the DSG were the '05 New Beetle TDIs. Then the Jetta followed when the MkV cars were introduced as '05.5 cars. If you're looking at a 2004, it's got the older torque converter auto.
No, 2004 was the first year. My daughter is driving it now....

As far as reliability, we've had it serviced properly and its a bit loose IMO at 95,000 miles.

I'll never forget how the first time we had the VW service people argue with me that its not a DSG - eventually they came around - it was the first one they had seen.

TM

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Just to have a quick moment of pedantry, we are currently on the 2nd generation Beetle, not the 3rd generation New Beetle. ;)
Well, technically speaking it is on its third generation, if only the second chassis iteration :p

No, 2004 was the first year. My daughter is driving it now....
As far as reliability, we've had it serviced properly and its a bit loose IMO at 95,000 miles.
I'll never forget how the first time we had the VW service people argue with me that its not a DSG - eventually they came around - it was the first one they had seen.
TM
Yes, we established a few posts up that the BEW and DSG were introduced at the same time, in 2004.

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Love mine, no issues. Maybe 6200 on her now.
Over 100k miles now. I have gotten the flashing PRNDS fault twice. Pulled/cleared the codes @ 96k around June of '13 then it occurred again early this year around January. Cleared the codes, this time recallibrated the DSG and no other problems so far with better shifting. Codes point towards a future mechatronic replacement. The issue is infrequent and has never left me on the side of the road- so I am in no hurry.

The DMF does rattle at idle, but not all the time. Anything above idle and no noise. Unless things deteriorate faster I will wait until 200k or so for it's replacement.

Overall still very pleased with the DSG.