How are the BRM Gurus here? -- Loud Engine

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
Hello All,

I am curious if all BRMs sound similar, or if my car is having a weird issue.

I had just done the huge Franko6 stage 2 cam with timing belt kit, and its all good, broken in with the procedure and fluids provided. But the engine just seems to be so loud. It is audiable from inside the cockpit, like loud.

I thought straight piping my exhaust would be a big deal, but its not. The engine has a deep sound to it. My TV is dead on at 0.0 and everything was installed correctly and running smooth.

I am just curious to know or think, is this normal/common, or is there some other issue that I may be experiencing. I'm not yet tuned, and the car is annoyingly slow. I'm just posting to get a discussion going, and hear some thoughts.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Just to be clear starting out, are you saying that the engine seems louder since the work was done than it did before the work? Is it slower now than before the work? I know that if an intercooler hose pops off it will sound terribly loud and there will be power loss.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually that is a good point gmonkey. Yes it does seem kind of slower. I'll have to check all of the IC joints.

The engine seems to sound similar. It was loud before and after, like intake lugging resemblance of a VR6. It just doesn't seem like 1.9 I've always been accustomed to.

To be fair, we did a lot of work all at once. This is what was done in a single full day:

-Buzzken 2.5" DP
-Straight Pipe Exhaust
-Full EGR/ASV Delete
-EGR Cooler Delete
-Timing Belt Kit
-Franko6 Stage 2 Cam Kit

That would be the full list. I figured a bad cam or some other issue is why the engine was somewhat on the loud side. After the install of all this, it was mostly the same, no difference with the sound of the exhaust from the inside... I wonder if my turbo is marginal, it does do some weird boost things.... like it has no boost for a bit, then snaps in to where it should be... it gets better as the car warms up or gets hot.

After all of the work, the car does seem slow, but remember, I have yet to tune it. So I do have a MIL and the "Emissions Workshop" message upon start up. So I'm sure there are issues there when using a race pipe and no tuning yet.

A good question that I'd like to know would be, if I have deleted the EGR and ASV without a tune, and am getting the "Emissions Workshop" message, does this put the car into limp mode? That would likely explain a whole lot. I'm hoping so, but it doesn't seem likely.

R

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, I just realized my thread title was supposed to read Who* Not How...

I'm a moron.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Everything you did to that engine aside from the cam and timing belt would make the engine louder, and if not tuned properly, slower.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks OilHammer. Completely thankful for your reassurance. I will be installing my tuned ECU tomorrow afternoon.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I don't see any conversation since you have already made the changes.

I do have a question. If you mechanically deleted the AVS then how do you shut it off if you have a run away?

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't see any conversation since you have already made the changes.

I do have a question. If you mechanically deleted the AVS then how do you shut it off if you have a run away?

First, hope for the best and hope to get lucky that it does not happen. If your car and turbo is in good shape, then there isn't much of a worry.

Second, load stall. Foot on the brake in a safe lane or pull off place. 5th gear, foot on the break until the engine cuts out from load.

Snuffing out the air from the intake takes too long, by the time you get to it, the damage will be done. This is from my opinions and experiences anyhow.

R

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The only safe way for me to shut down with a run away is to shove in the clutch and turn off the key at the same time and then move into a safe lane. That would provide a seamless safe shut down. If this happens in winter, it is the only way.

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
Either way, that is all off topic of the thread.

Maybe that PD's just sound different and deeper during acceleration than a VE-TDI.

I'm just hoping I don't have any valve, turbo, or injector related issues.

R