Hotel Reservations -- Dulles Hyatt

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sweet! :cool: I hope you didn't have any problems making your reservations. See you on Thursday night!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That puts us up to about 35% of our minimum quota. We're getting there... slowly but surely.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
VeeDubTDI said:
If the Hyatt is offering promotions on their website, then that promotion can still be applied to our room block without any penalty to us.
Not so.
I called to make a reservation. No one in the Dulles property was available so I was shunted to the Hyatt corporate reservations number. Nope, I couldn't take advantage of a HIGHER priced package (Spend Less - Get More package, $104/night, free wi/fi and with 1/2 price meals and beverages at the hotel) AND have it apply to the 'fest room count. So I booked at the TDI'fest rate.
That was Friday night.

I called the hotel this morning and talked to the agent there in the hotel. Again, same as the corporate agent had said: No. I could NOT book at any rate other than the TDI'fest rate and have the room count towards the guaranteed block.

VeeDub, you might want to call the hotel and confirm this. It'd be a shame to have plenty of attendees, but not enough rooms.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's interesting. I will add that to my list of things to discuss with them and let you know what I find out.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Just called, and they cannot find anything under TDIclub...

girls was not very helpful - kept wondering what T D I stood for... Turbo Direct Injection - Turbo Dingection?

will call again in a few hours - hopefully get someone else on the phone...

EDIT:
RESERVED!!! Friday through Sunday

GO FEST!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Glad you got someone more helpful. Sometimes the front desk people are idiots... it all depends on what time of day you call. The best bet is to ask for the reservations department during normal business hours.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just updated the room list. We're up to 103 room-nights, which is 37% of our quota. :cool: We're making progress.

There are still some people on the red list who have hotel rooms who have not yet registered for Fest.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
VeeDubTDI said:
I just updated the room list. We're up to 103 room-nights, which is 37% of our quota. :cool: We're making progress.
You seem to have us down for 3 nights, we're actually staying 4 nights, Thursday - Monday. So put us down for one extra day. Probably doesn't help the numbers that much, but every little bit counts....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right you are! Your name is in two places on the arrivals list. :confused: But yes... 4 nights. :)

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
reserved friday through sunday because of threats i received in IRC *sobs*

xoxo,

- j

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
my reservation has been changed from the AAA discount to TDIFest. So Sootman and i will be staying fri night through sun night.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As of today (pending confirmation from the hotel), we have 40.5% of our room block met.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I got an update from the hotel today. We're at 45%! :cool:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Just registered and made reservations for 4 nights (Thurs-Mon). Excited to go again!

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Room reserved for Fri and Saturday, as of today!

KirbDog

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
Just Registered and Reserved a room for Friday night!

Sorry, I violated the "rules" and used a AAA discount instead of the TDI Club discount.

Looking forward to the 'Fest!!!

;)

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
KirbDog said:

Sorry, I violated the "rules" and used a AAA discount instead of the TDI Club discount.

;)
How much did the AAA save you over our rate?

Does your AAA rate include use of wireless internet?

Also, please remember that included in our rate are other items as well. We have exclusive use of some of the banquet rooms, they are reserving spots in the parking lot for us, we get to use hotel water for show-n-shine, etc. etc.

Also, we are currently at about 50% of what we promised the hotel we would get. TDIClub has to pay out of pocket, for any rooms that do not meet our goal. Also, remember that the club is funded completely off of donations. So if we do not meet our hotel goal, and have to pay a 'penalty' then that will come out of the donations that would have normally been used to fund the club.

For the rest of you that have not reserved a hotel room, please use our TDIClub name, and register soon so we can have accurate numbers!

TDIFest is about raising funds to keep the club going another year!!!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm looking forward to making up the multi-thousand dollar difference for not meeting our room quota because you saved $20. Thanks for defeating the purpose of TDIFest. Enjoy the complimentary banquet facilities. :rolleyes:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If you did this to save a few bucks tell me how much it was! and change your reservation to the TDI Club I will make up the difference..........:rolleyes:

KirbDog said:

;)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
KirbDog said:

;)
People, it's very important to stay at the venue's hotel and make your hotel reservations through the fest organizers.

BKmetz said:
I'll try to explain how the fest is organized and why its important for as many people as possible to stay at the venue's hotel.

Every TDIFest I have been to (7 out of 9) have had room rates around that $100/night price point. With the usual hotel taxes it's between $115 and $125 per night.

We are too specialized and large of a venue to use a cheaper source; office for fest organizers, greeting room, vendor storage, ball room/banquet hall, dedicated parking lot, and a location that has plenty of attractions for the better halves and kids.

A big part of negotiating the room price and all the services the fest uses is guaranteeing a minimum number of room bookings. The fest committee has reserved a block of rooms at a fixed rate. The goal is to get enough members to fill the room quota. If the hotel attendance falls short of the number of reserved rooms, the fest committee pays the hotel the difference out of the fest revenues. This means Fred takes home less money to run the web site that you are enjoying right now. Remember, the whole purpose of TDIFest is to raise money for Fred so he can maintain the website.

Either we step up to the plate and donate, or Fred has to take ad money. We out grew the level of a enthusiast running a website out of his house 10 years ago. I love the fact that TDIClub's forums has no commercial sponsors and we are beholden to no one but ourselves.