Hot Rod Drag Week with a 2000 TDI Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
TDIJetta99 said:
That's WAY too much work to go to the track, but I see what you're saying if it's a dedicated track car. I can knock 800lbs out of the car if I REALLY have to. That will make more of a difference than anything... .

I have a 99.. I can't just "slap in" a different tune... it doesn't work like that.. I would like to go the nitrous route, but the way my car is set up right now, if I go even with a 50 shot of nitrous I'll have bent rods as soon as it kicks on.. I'm right at the bleeding edge of breaking internals, I've been for about 10,000 miles now (it's been tuned+injectors for 90k) and by some miracle it's still holding itself together with 231k on the lower end.. My FMIC fit very nicely, and it was a cheap universal kit of ebay, I really don't understand why so many here have issues going that route with theirs... I can only speak for myself with the intercooler and say it was a relatively easy job making it work..
I ran a 50 shot with RC initially....not a huge kick in the pants and I doubt it would bend rods if used occasionally. A 50 shot is like training wheels. You could put a 50 shot on a rental and generally be safe if it's engaged at WOT...:)

COMP461

Veteran Member
update
Charlie just sent me a new tune , it solving a few of the problems we experienced at Drag Week , the little bug pulls like mad to 5800 RPMs with ease, and the street tires will blow off at ease in 2nd and third gear .

what most are not getting about the ET's at Drag Week , is the mid 14 second passes were plagued with too numerous to count problems , on many places on the track, and still pulled off a 14 . I usually abort any pass that is less then perfict , but in the case of drag week, we had to move on to the next track and next day. Mat was given his orders at the beginning of each run , to get to the finish line , and get as much data as possible , and a precious time slip .

Remember we had to finish the drive and turn in a number at each of the 5 tracks.
So for those that claim that their daily driver is capable of making the rigors of Drag Week, and turning in a better time , think again, and be there at Drag Week 2010 next year to prove us wrong .

SO

Until then we get the title , its part of the fact that Hot Rod ’s Drag Week is Main stream, and for some the only legitimate way to prove you a street machine. John Force can claim he has the fastest Street legal Fuel Coupe on the planet , but if it can make the 1100 + mile drive , its just a also ran, and did not finish .

For thouse that don’t understand me , I am a pro at this , I total understand how the forums work, and know it was only a mater of time before brand politics rear its ugly head , so I beat them all to the punch. I will garentee you that in the coming weeks we will sort out the little car , and no one will be faster , and I repeat

“ NO ONE WILL BE FASTER “

if you don't like it get off the keyboad and show up

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
shadowmaker said:
Actually I think you can. At least in my -96 van I had two different programs. It had an additional chip on top of the original one inside the ECU and by turning a switch I could choose which chip I wanted to use.
The north american 80 pin ALH ECU (98-99) is a non-flashable unit.. The european cars from what I understand are different.. we ain't got that stuff around here haha

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
TDIJetta99 said:
The north american 80 pin ALH ECU (98-99) is a non-flashable unit.. The european cars from what I understand are different.. we ain't got that stuff around here haha
You can have up to 4 or something similar tunes on the 99.5 ECU's... They can be switchable via vagcom or even switch on the fly according to Jeff @ RC....

Only crap thing about the 99.5 ECU is that you can't flash it over OBD... Gotta get it socketed and burn the eproms then install.

adman4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta GLS TDI, Totalled 1998 Jetta GLS TDI
Comp that is quite an impressive bug you've produced. But you're whole attitude toward letting us know about it seems pretty arrogant, and I think you asked for the "politics rear its ugly head ." You came here asking for pointers:
COMP461 said:
I would like a little of everyone’s input
So give me a few pointers
But you're an "expert"
COMP461 said:
For thouse that don’t understand me , I am a pro at this
So what was your purpose in coming here? Was it to get advice from from tdiclub members who are responsible for alot of the tdi marvels we have? Or was it to shove it in our faces that your tdi is better than everyone else's?

It seems to me that you came here, got advice from tdiclub members, then called it all your own doing. You must acknowledge the fact that although this is quite an awesome bug, and I commend you for it, without alot of the research and risks taken by fellow members on this forum, we would not have alot of the tdi abilities that are available.

So in my humble opinion, your presentation of this whole thing could have been soooo much better and you asked for the flaming on here. And since you are an "expert" who "understands how the forums work" I would expect you to have been much more genuine in your approach to presenting this project by showing it as an awesome contribution and breakthrough in the tdi world, rather than making it something in which you just revel in your own personal glory.

But thats just my opinion. Sorry for the lecture:)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
COMP461 said:
.................... For thouse that don’t understand me , I am a pro at this ....................
I know I shouldnt say it, but I must. Dude, the only thing you are a pro at is being a douche. You've done an excellent job painting yourself as a villain.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
if someone takes an old bug, use some kind of long ratio porsche transmission and bolt on a decent tdi.. I'm sure O'doyle shall need to eat some dust ;)

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
COMP461 said:
update
Charlie just sent me a new tune , it solving a few of the problems we experienced at Drag Week , the little bug pulls like mad to 5800 RPMs with ease, and the street tires will blow off at ease in 2nd and third gear .

what most are not getting about the ET's at Drag Week , is the mid 14 second passes were plagued with too numerous to count problems , on many places on the track, and still pulled off a 14 . I usually abort any pass that is less then perfict , but in the case of drag week, we had to move on to the next track and next day. Mat was given his orders at the beginning of each run , to get to the finish line , and get as much data as possible , and a precious time slip .

Remember we had to finish the drive and turn in a number at each of the 5 tracks.
So for those that claim that their daily driver is capable of making the rigors of Drag Week, and turning in a better time , think again, and be there at Drag Week 2010 next year to prove us wrong .

SO

Until then we get the title , its part of the fact that Hot Rod ’s Drag Week is Main stream, and for some the only legitimate way to prove you a street machine. John Force can claim he has the fastest Street legal Fuel Coupe on the planet , but if it can make the 1100 + mile drive , its just a also ran, and did not finish .

For thouse that don’t understand me , I am a pro at this , I total understand how the forums work, and know it was only a mater of time before brand politics rear its ugly head , so I beat them all to the punch. I will garentee you that in the coming weeks we will sort out the little car , and no one will be faster , and I repeat

“ NO ONE WILL BE FASTER “

if you don't like it get off the keyboad and show up
I can appreciate WHAT you are trying to do, but the WAY you are trying to do it is really immature.

Needeling and "poking the bear" by peer pressure is just not the way to break in thie folks on this board. There are alot of intelligent, knowlageable members on this forum with alot of trail and error, plus professional expirience who would be happy to share it, as well as learn from yours. Acting like a frickin di*k on the playground in 4th grade will not fly well here.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
LiLredTDI said:
There are alot of intelligent, knowlageable members on this forum with alot of trail and error, plus professional expirience who would be happy to share it, as well as learn from yours.
Judging by oldpoopie's response (among others), I think that ship has sailed.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
ah, bench racing on the forums. Serious stuff. :rolleyes:

Who has that picture of the "special ed" kid running with some quote about arguing on the internets? :p

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I just read this thread from start to finish and I must say I started out thinking this fellow has my support and best wishes.....

Well, that went the way of the DODO bird pretty quick.

Dude, You have my congratulations on what you managed to do with this car and the Hot Rod street car thing, but surely you are sane enough to realize what a hollow victory you won. You won by showing up. That is all, just showing up and finishing a two fuel tank drive. What ever ET you turned in was the QUICKEST because there were NO OTHER ENTRIES.

You could not have done it at all without the help of members from this forum, specifically the folks in TX and KErma whom you cannot be bothered to spell his company name right...

Apparently what you a 'PRO' at is getting into magazine articles and blowing your own horn and then forgetting to acknowledge the people that already are in on the 'joke'.

The good folks here at TDIclub are fully aware of what the actual worth of your magazine title is. Pretending it is something it is not really chaps our butts.

Bill

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
I am staying out of this thread . I know where the Wife's car stands . More silent mods to come. Hey Chris sorry about those Red Sox's over the Week-end . Damn Yankee's . Went to the Game in Seattle a few week's back and all I told my son. Look at that line-up . Not one hole . Money can sure buy a great team . R

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
KERMA said:
If I recall correctly, we dynoed Rich's car at 280 whp then couldn't break into the 14's that night... It took huge nitrous, slicks, peloquin, and breaking the car twice to run below 15.00
I raced against Rich's Bug (with Marcel driving) the day after that dyno and he was running low 15's and finally broke into the 14's with that setup. I was having traction issues (couldn't get any in 1st or 2nd) and the weight difference between the 2 vehicles and the drivers was somewhere around 6-700 lbs so Marcel was beating my heavy a$$ down the line on each run we lined up against each other that night.
I was also at the track this year when Rich's Bug (driven by Matt) broke into the 13's with spray, slicks and an LSD. Still a great effort for a daily-driver with full interior that Rich's wife drives to/from work everyday!!
And on the main topic of this thread, kudos for the accomplishment achieved in building and racing the TDI and getting the publicity. But seriously, get a grip on reality. Can you seriously think that coming on here and trashing everyone and their cars is a smart thing, especially when your car didn't really accomplish anything spectacular? The analogy of "poking the bears" is very apt because there are lots of TDI owners around your parts that might come and lay some smack down just to watch you eat your words.

Maybe instead of coming across like some kind of I'm-the-king-of-the-world jacka$$, you could show some appreciation towards all those that did the trial-and-error and R&D for the parts you used that made your accomplishment possible. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into the development of those parts and people broke a lot of $hit trying to break into uncharted territory years ago, and you take it all for granted instead of acknowledging their efforts. :rolleyes:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
If he is claming he's got the fastest TDI, he needs to come out and play at the West Fest, there would some fast TDI in 2010 at the drag.

I laughed at all the BS going on here, this looks the same like when Kerma brought his evil NB (he claimed) and he advertised how bad it was for months and months then to find out that my Golf with RC6 even with a boost leak beat him up at the Dublin dyno in Calif.

This last West Fest at PIR, my 1st trap speed was 96mph, my 2nd was at 98mpg even after missing 2nd gear, (no NOS) I did really bad on the times 'cause of lack of experience drag racing,,, in the other hand I can gurantee you that there would be faster cars in 2010, just show up there and prove to all of us that you got the fastest TDI.

Last edited:

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
So when's the next LCDDD? (not like I need another trophy, but whatever...)
if I recall correctly it was my 233 whp that took the day, not maxrpm...

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Come on Charlie, I'm sure you saw the point, why even come back with that? Meth is good for what... 5, 8, 12hp MAYBE? Obviously nothing like injecting NOS... 65hp.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
yea it does more for cooling EGT's than it does for more power on these, lol.. I'm adding it for the sole purpose of lowering EGT's.. direct port setup with really small nozzles

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Farfromovin said:
Come on Charlie, I'm sure you saw the point, why even come back with that? Meth is good for what... 5, 8, 12hp MAYBE? Obviously nothing like injecting NOS... 65hp.
Exactly. W/M doesn't and never will hold a candle to nitrous. But it IS a drug...but so what guys?? Power is power....no matter if it's on the bottle or not. We have an OEM "power adder"....so why not another to help too?

I switched from a 50 shot initially to a 75 shot and obliterated an IPT 01M....then had it rebuilt.....more than once! Never did I bend rods...and I ran a strong RC tune.

It's really all in how you use nitrous...how much, when engaged, & for how long.

And MAXRPM, where are those cars with RC6 + spray? Just curious...:rolleyes:

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
loudspl said:
Power is power....no matter if it's on the bottle or not.
I think many would disagree with your assertion. Myself, I think there is a lot more to be said for a big power number that is extracted using knowledge, engineering, and technology. Nitrous is crude, brute force. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make big power that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.