Hot new GM diesel for European Cadillac CTS

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Cadillac to Debut GM's Powerful New V-6 Clean Diesel

• GM’s first production application of innovative, closed-loop combustion technology
  • Cadillac CTS adds engine to its portfolio in 2009. Low emissions, high performance and excellent fuel economy. 184 kW/250 hp, 550 Nm (406 lb.-ft.) torque, 2.9-liter displacement
  • Compact design enables transverse and longitudinal installation
GENEVA – General Motors Corp. unveiled a new 2.9-liter V-6 turbo-diesel engine that features state-of-the-art injection and combustion technology for low emissions and high performance.
The new engine (184 kW/250 hp) will be sold mainly in Europe and makes its debut at the Geneva Motor Show (March 8-18). Its first production application is scheduled for 2009 in the new Cadillac CTS.
“We expect the V-6 diesel to be highly competitive in the European luxury segment,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “With its excellent low-end torque and its high power output, it is a great fit with Cadillac’s performance-oriented brand character.”
The compact dual overhead cam, four-valve V-6 engine belongs to a new GM family of diesel engines, featuring an innovative closed-loop combustion control system designed to meet future emissions standards. The engine can be installed in a longitudinal or transverse layout and can be adapted to a wide range of two- or four-wheel-drive vehicles.
GM’s development of the new engine is being coordinated under the leadership of GM Powertrain’s European operations in Turin, Italy, in cooperation with VM Motori based in Cento, Italy . GM Powertrain will focus on the development of the clean combustion process, electronic engine control and exhaust-gas aftertreatment, as well as calibration and integration into GM vehicles. VM Motori will build the new unit at its plant in Cento, Italy, and is responsible for the mechanical aspects of the engine’s design, development and bench testing.
“The V-6 diesel integrates leading technologies and will deliver outstanding performance, fuel economy and low emissions,” said Roger Johansson, GM Powertrain Europe vice president.
The V-6 engine management system enables optimal fuel economy as well as reduced emissions and noise by using a recently developed combustion control technology. Key enablers of the system are high-speed, piezo-resistive cylinder pressure sensors that are integrated within the engine glow plugs. These specialized sensors acquire real-time data from the combustion process, enabling instantaneous fine-tuning of the fuel injection process. In the future, this clean combustion control technology will be introduced in other GM Powertrain diesel engines.
The high-pressure, common-rail system provides up to 2000 bar (29,000 psi) injection pressure. The injectors are quick-firing, piezo-electrically actuated, allowing up to eight injections per engine cycle. The aftertreatment system includes an oxidation catalyst and a particulate filter that are close-coupled to the engine to achieve future emissions standards.
An electronically controlled variable geometry turbocharger generates boost pressure. The engine has a torque of 550 Nm (406 lb.-ft.) beginning at 2000 rpm, while providing effective fuel economy and reduced emissions.
The new, compact V-6 powerhouse features aluminum cylinder heads and a 60-degree bank angle, 83.0 mm bore and 90.4 mm stroke, which results in displacement of 2935 cubic centimeters. The engine block is made of stronger and lighter Compacted Graphite Iron (compared to lower-strength aluminum or heavier grey cast iron) to optimize engine packaging, weight, refinement and performance.
Text and photos can be downloaded from the Internet at http://media.gmeurope.com.

Sounds like a leap in technology with its new carbon engine block and high output, especially compared to current Mercedes common rail designs. If it works, may really boost Cadillac's image in Europe.

TM

dclark

Veteran Member
On a similar note, Holden, makers of the GTO and the new Pontiac G8, is currently testing a diesel version of the G8. The G8 is an awesome looking car, plus it will be available as a wagon. I have '06 GTO and I gotta tell you, the quality and the interior is top notch. If they were to bring in this car in 2009, I'd buy it instead of the VW sportwagon that I promised my wife.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10then34 said:
Sounds like a nice engine for a 1500 series pickup or panel van.....
GM is preparing a 4.5 liter V8 diesel for just that very purpose as we speak. It should be ready by 2010 for the half ton pickups and the Hummer H2.

TM

VFchicago88

Banned
sure but they need a big 4 cyl or medium 6 cyl for a 1500 truck, too! I dont think a 1500 always needs a 300hp 500+ tq engine!

GM needs to make a 1500 truck with a 150-200hp engine and 300-400 torque! Plenty of power and probably better efficiency than the V8 version!

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Tin Man said:
GM is preparing a 4.5 liter V8 diesel for just that very purpose as we speak. It should be ready by 2010 for the half ton pickups and the Hummer H2.
Right, why take a suitable engine off the shelf if you can spend lots of stockholder cash on developing another one (mh, sounds like the VR-6, V6 V6 saga within the vw/audi conglomerate).

I guess there are too many guys whose thingding would shrink if they only had a V6 and not a manly V8.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
3L would be plenty. I haven't heard any whining about the Sprinters being too whimpy? Put a 3L in the 4x2 and the 4.5 in the 4x4. Manufacturing wise, it should be easy enough to lop 2cyl off the 4.5= 3.375L- close enough.
4x2, crew cab, short bed, with a limited slip differential would be nice. I would also like to see someone come out with a tailgate design that does not function as an airbrake when it is not needed 99% of the time- I think it can be done.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Memory of past V8's outlasting most 6's and 4's with some notable exceptions gives the V8's marketing advantages. Perhaps using the 4.5 V8 in motorhomes and such would also be possible.

The DOHC VVT of the 3.6 liter gasoline direct injection engine may be more complex than many mechanics are willing to tackle, I don't know. Imagine, say, a big three dealer servicing engines like our TDI's if VW can't even do it to our satisfaction!

TM

VFchicago88

Banned
I suppose you can say older V8's were lower revving and less stressed, but lets not forget certain 4cyl and 6cyl designs that can easily last 500,00o miles in common vehicles in the US (gassers)

I would LOVE a 1500, ext cab, regular bed Z71 type chevy 4x4 with like a 6cyl, inline TD motor. Perhaps a real high tech V6 common rail also!

A 6cylinder diesel is much more manlier than a V8 gasser!

It reminds me of a girl who was raving about her non descript 82 GM mobile, it was an olds, buick, who knows and how the car has so much power just cuz it was a v8... im postitive it was like a 305 125hp motor... but by her knowing it was a V8, it was automatically a fast 4500 pound sled with 125hp!

I love the chevy duramax trucks. I wish I could have one, but even though its impressive they can achieve around 20mpg, while the much lighter 1500 does the same, its not good enough mileage!

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah I completely agree. But the American public still thinks SUV's are cool and that 20 mpg is good. GM needs to survive, not just be noble and righteous like we are.

TM

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
VFchicago88 said:
It reminds me of a girl who was raving about her non descript 82 GM mobile, it was an olds, buick, who knows and how the car has so much power just cuz it was a v8... im postitive it was like a 305 125hp motor... but by her knowing it was a V8, it was automatically a fast 4500 pound sled with 125hp!
Got a ride with an acquaintance recently, he is driving 3-4 year old Yukon. After he had passed into oncoming traffic, he proceeded to explain to me that that is something you can only do with a V8 ;) I didn't have the heart to tell him that I can accelerate in circles around his 6500lb Yukon with my 3400lb Honda which has only a measly V6.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
GM needs to drop that engine in the smaller pick ups.

And put one in a Cadillac SRX and there'll be one in my driveway.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
truman said:
3L would be plenty. I haven't heard any whining about the Sprinters being too whimpy?
The Sprinter does quite well with the 5 cylinder engine in it. Mine weighs in at 6500 LBS and has no problems running with traffic. I even raced a mid 90's Sentra SE-R on a long steep grade and he only pulled out a bumper over 3/4 of a mile.

truman said:
I would also like to see someone come out with a tailgate design that does not function as an airbrake when it is not needed 99% of the time- I think it can be done.
If you watch Mythbusters you would know that the tailgate actually helps get better mileage when it is up compared to having it down while driving.

I think the CTS is a great car and if the diesel made it over to here I would give it a serious look.