horrified by the mechanic now need help undo everything he did

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
Hi,
I know I am stupid for bring my car to him but now I am in need of someone to help me undo what he did. :(

TB needs to be make sure that it's on right and needs to be scaned by a VAG-COM for the timing.

Oil needs to be replaced along with the fuel filter.

Air filter needs to be checked and maybe needs replacement.

I can buy all the parts if you point me to the right direction and will drive the car to NJ, CT, PA. I can't believe I had to pay him $500 for the work and everythings needs to be redone. :mad: PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Jess

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Nice user name...:) Why are you sure that he 'botched' the work? Wrong oil used? Car not running right after TB change? Please elaborate...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
MetalMan is in Sunbruy Pa, BrianCT is in Rowayton. There are others closer, I'm sure. Check the regionals section for more help.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
First of all....that IS a cool name! I gree with Flytdiguy. WHat is wrong with the car? Or is everything wrong? HOw was it before in comparison?

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for liking my name :D

Well, the story starts like this:
He is a family (husband's side) friend and a professional machanic. We've always brought our cars to him. He owns a Benz Diesel. He even helped us checking out the car before we bought it. So we thought, he would be able to handle a TDI. Well, NO!!! I was there in the shop so I saw what was going on but not really able to say anything. We need the timing checked because we were only getting 25mpg and Promethius (thanks again) kindly scanned the car with a VAG-COM and the result came with "timing too advanced to plot" (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=143111&page=3) so, we needed someone to retard it. The machanic was trying to find the specs for the timing belt and after he finally found it, he said the timinig was retarded 3 degrees so he had to advance it 4 degrees. and according to him, he already had to disamble the whole compartment so he changed the belt along with tensioners "Just to be safe" he said. Then I asked him what kind of oil he used, he said 15W-40 Syntec Blend becasue that's what every diesel uses. I asked him about 5W-40 pure synthetic and he said such thing doesn't exit! Then another horrifying thing, he used non-VW oil filter so it didn't fit exactly right and he had to "silicone" the thing for a proper seal! So, I am pretty sure all the work he done needs to be redone while we are broke at the moment. The good part of all this is that I've OBTAINED (hubby's) consent never to bring my TDI there ever again!

by the way, the car seems to drive fine. I drove it home yesterday without problems. But pretty sure something needs to be done prompto.

I couldn't sleep yesterday thinking about my poor car....

Jess

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Ah yes... You're story has been told before. Most definitely go to the 'Trusted Mechanics' thread at the top of the 101 section and see if you can find someone close to check it out. From what you describe, you definitely need a second opinion. The sad part is, for those properly familiar w/TDI's they are not really that hard to work on. The problem is, folks used to other diesels have notions that don't apply and need to go away when dealing with TDI's. They are unique in the diesel world. Take Whitedog's advice and contact someone ASAP. Timing belt problems can be catastrophic so be qwik about it...

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Actually, that is only partially true. All diesels are similar, however, some very bad habits have been adopted by people and mechanics over the years, culminating in what you see now. Tdi's are about the same as a lot of diesels, but we tend to expect so much more from them, that we feel they are different. Put the correct maintenance into a Benz diesel or an IDI VW, and they will also amaze you with power smoothness and economy. The TDI is just the natural progression of the old style diesel. The same in most ways, better in some.

Definately bring it to someone who cares enough to do it right. Even if it is inconvenient. SOmetimes the temporary inconvenience is worth it. Once done, your next major mantenance or repair will be very far off. THAT is convenience!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Direct injected diesels w/the amount of electronic controls to implement the closed loop systems on the TDI are pretty unique. Most the 'diesel' mechanics are totally baffled by this level of sophistication. Their experience is based on trucks and older MB's. Do they both ignite fuel the same way, yes. That's about where the similiarities diverge. Not to mention that VW is so totally, well, VW in how they go about things... ;) JMHO...

Edited by spelling ****

Last edited:

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
If you pick up the filter pack from TDIparts.com, you can do all the filters yourself. Really. It is NOT hard. You will need a pair of pliers, a phillips-head screwdriver, a 10mm(?) socket wrench, and about 1 pint of diesel (to refill the fuel filter). If you are even remotely handy, this is a totally do-able project.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Can buy some fuel additive to prefill the filter and it will save you from having to try and get 16 onces of diesel, then threw the extra in the tank(such as powerservice in the silver bottle). Also, the right oil is pretty easy to find too. Delvac 1 is good but kind hard to find, Rotella T synthetic is easy and available at most wally worlds(both of which are good for your TDI).

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Bookworm said:
Was this a dealership?
No. It's a private owned shop.

Gothmolly said:
If you pick up the filter pack from TDIparts.com, you can do all the filters yourself. Really. It is NOT hard. You will need a pair of pliers, a phillips-head screwdriver, a 10mm(?) socket wrench, and about 1 pint of diesel (to refill the fuel filter). If you are even remotely handy, this is a totally do-able project.
I've changed oil before and have all the tools but I have no garage and no driveway/space to work on it.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
:eek: :eek: Even if you have to have the vehicle Flatbed towed to a well known TDI technician-mechanic, you will save yourself an absolute TON of $$. A properly pieced together TDI is wonderful and long lasting. When I was at TDI fest last fall, I saw a VW Golf with over 325000 miles on the clock and it was a piece of perfection due to the due care that owner took with the car. I really am concerned about the silicone the filter in detail you gave. I'd worry about proper oil pressure and all that. Get it taken care of before ASAP! Remember if its its a 2004 and later it is a Pump Duse motor and requires VW spec 505.01 motor oil. If its a 2003 or earlier non-PD motor it requires VW spec 505.00 motor oil. In both cases its is 5w40. When you have things sorted out you can go as far as 10000 miles between oil changes. One thing is absolutely certain, you do not want that timing belt to be improperly setup. A botched engine you do not need!:eek: :eek:

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The "Timing too advanced" error isn't always that big a deal, once the timing is off the graph you get that error. It's just a matter of moving the pump until you are on the graph.
Of course, if you are down to 25 mpg it may be further off than my current experiences.
Either way, with the proper tools it should be an easy fix.

My brother has the tools for the 1Z engines, but there are some small differences with the AHU engines. I don't know if the tools he's got are right for correcting your problem. BTW, can anyone tell me if the motor mount has to be removed to just adjust the timing?

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
I am trying to scrap money together to get all the parts and have someone check the car ASAP.
THANKS for all the help/info.

On a side note:

Do you guys think this is an impossible name (Jessica_rabbit)/image to live up to?

Last edited:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, if you agree to do my car, I will show up in person! :D But then, you are kinda far for me to drive.

(do you need a server to post pics?)

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey don't get me wrong, I am not saying I look like that but I don't think I am bad looking either. Back on topic now....
Will someone PLEASE check my car!!
Jessica

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
jessica_rabbit said:
I am trying to scrap money together to get all the parts and have someone check the car ASAP.
THANKS for all the help/info.

On a side note:

Do you guys think this is an impossible name (Jessica_rabbit)/image to live up to?
I suppose the blue gloves are a bit much.......:D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jess, you've been around long enough to realize there are only a chosen few that can handle these specialized machines. Did the heat get to you?

The boys have made a few valid recommendations for assistance-- good luck getting it resolved.

Take care.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
nicklockard said:
lildevildee's avatar is more of a tease;)
I've always wanted to enlarge that pic!

Mr. DD,
I've just sent out some PM awaiting hearing back. i suppose I just want ppl to stop staring at the j-r pic. After, it wouldn't be nice to disapoint everyone. :D

lildevildee,
How's the pregnancy coming? How many do you have? I have one and she's going to be 4 in Aug. You know you've done something right when s/he asks, "Ma, is that a diesel?" whenever s/he see a VW symbol. :D

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I approve of the blue gloves! :D

(see timing belt CD pics above if you don't quite understand)

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
jessica_rabbit said:
lildevildee,
How's the pregnancy coming? How many do you have? I have one and she's going to be 4 in Aug. You know you've done something right when s/he asks, "Ma, is that a diesel?" whenever s/he see a VW symbol. :D
2.5 kiddos. Third will be here around TDIFest :) I'll have to run the name "Fred" by the hubby if it is a TDIFest baby!

LJ (will be 3 in Aug) usually grabs a screwdriver or some tool whenever he sees one of the VW's in the driveway :eek: :D I haven't figured out if that's a good thing.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Can you make it to the GTG in RI tomorrow? It will be about a 4 hour drive [worst scenario] 3 hours best scenario. There are some very qualified people that will be there.

Are there any leaks from the bad oil filtre placement? If someone had some parts sitting around it could be a good moment to have it all changed ....meaning:
  • Check timing
  • Change oil filtre and change oil
  • Check/change air filtre
  • examine pulleys and roller pathways

Hey New Englanders!: A last minute GTG this Sunday 7/9 in RI

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the offer but I don't feel comfortable crashing someone's birthday party with my car problems. :eek: I am pretty sure there's no oil leak but will double check to be sure. It would be great to have it all done but I also don't have any parts that I would need now. BUT, really, THANK YOU!

Jess

BrianCT said:
Can you make it to the GTG in RI tomorrow? It will be about a 4 hour drive [worst scenario] 3 hours best scenario. There are some very qualified people that will be there.

Are there any leaks from the bad oil filtre placement? If someone had some parts sitting around it could be a good moment to have it all changed ....meaning:
  • Check timing
  • Change oil filtre and change oil
  • Check/change air filtre
  • examine pulleys and roller pathways

Hey New Englanders!: A last minute GTG this Sunday 7/9 in RI