horrified by the mechanic now need help undo everything he did

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
You need between 4-5 quarts.. 2 gal will be plenty.. just make sure you got the synthetic Rotella for diesels. Wal-Mart also carries a Rotella that is for gassers.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
IXLR8 said:
You need between 4-5 quarts.. 2 gal will be plenty.. just make sure you got the synthetic Rotella for diesels. Wal-Mart also carries a Rotella that is for gassers.
I know I got the synthetic, not sure if say diesel. :confused: Will check once I go down to the car.
Jess

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The only Rotella synthetic that I can think of that Wal-Mart sells is the diesel-rated. It's the oil I use. :)

BTW, as for xsamx's recommendation of ECS Tuning, I've heard many reports on VWvortex that credit cards used at ECS are having their numbers stolen. Even when the cards are used at their retail location. :(

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
mrchill said:
Tdiparts will send you bolts only if you like. He is very accomodating. I will call him today and let him know you are interested (we live only 10 miles apart).
I called him just now and still no answer. Let a message and sent a email. hopefully I will hear back soon.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIparts.com is not answering their phone! Left a voice mail and no body calls back and emailed and got a reply saying will get back to me and never did. :confused:

Last edited:

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
He has a day job. Mostly sends out emails in the evening. He is very accomidating and helpful, well worth the wait. Although, I know you must be really sick of waiting by now with all the troubles....

Hang in there! We'll get your car running right! (or at least I'll keep posting encouraging notes until you get it running right.... :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
tdiparts.com is one of the finest vendors here...not to worry. He may be on the road this week.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
MOGolf said:
I approve of the blue gloves! :D

(see timing belt CD pics above if you don't quite understand)
Harbor freight baby!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I am envisioning a pit crew scene on this car whenever it arrives wherever it is that they are meeting. 5-6 TDI geeks attacking the oil, filters, timing, snowscreen, coolant sensor, etc...

rofl.

J-R, if you have an offer from Chill to "stop by", figure out how to take him up on this.

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
MikeS_18 said:
I am envisioning a pit crew scene on this car whenever it arrives wherever it is that they are meeting. 5-6 TDI geeks attacking the oil, filters, timing, snowscreen, coolant sensor, etc...

rofl.

J-R, if you have an offer from Chill to "stop by", figure out how to take him up on this.
I've been trying... :D

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone nearby have parts?

Hi all,
We hit another "hump" in fixing the car. I ordered the filters and bolts from TDIParts but the order hasn't arrived yet... I called VW and they don't have the Fuel filter or the bolts... I am going nuts. :(

PObox just called... they got a package!!! YAY!!!

Last edited:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
lol. the thing is, I called the box and they told me that the mail has already been delivered and there are no packages for me so I started to panic. Then, 12 minutes later, they called and said they found a package for me... so, it's not my fault! :D I am actually a pretty patient person, maybe I am just not when it comes to fixing my baby. :)

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
What do you mean likely story. It is the story! :D
Went and picked up the box. Contained exactly what I ordered! YAY!!! Car's going to be fixed! No more "driving in fear" as "someone" said. ;)

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
THANK YOU TooRoundTDI

Many THANKS to TooRoundTDI who tirelessly worked on the car for 5 hours. The car drives better than ever and I am sure the mpg is going to be better than expected! The car is not shaking/vibrating any more and is much much smoother. I can't thank him enough for all he's done. :) I also want to thank you for all of your encouragements and help. I don't think I can ever live without the club any more... a TDI Club addict for life. :D

Jess

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
jessica_rabbit said:
Many THANKS to TooRoundTDI who tirelessly worked on the car for 5 hours. The car drives better than ever and I am sure the mpg is going to be better than expected! The car is not shaking/vibrating any more and is much much smoother. I can't thank him enough for all he's done. :) I also want to thank you for all of your encouragements and help. I don't think I can ever live without the club any more... a TDI Club addict for life. :D

Jess
Can you give us a summary of the problems found?

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
It looked like whoever did the timing belt used the "mark and pray" method. The cam timing was a little off. The valve cover gasket had RTV on it and Jess peeled it all off. We changed the oil to the correct 5-40 diesel synthetic. Changed the oil and air filter but found out we had the wrong fuel filter. The injection timing was waaay off, it showed 0 when I first hooked up vag com. Fixed all that stuff and it ran great after. Had to prime the fuel pump with my mouth after I ran out of fuel since I had to put the old filter back in. Tasty diesel fumes! Also some of the valve cover bolts were torqued to about 300 ft/lbs, I was sweating stripping them. I think I lost 10 lbs in liquids today, it was HOT! I had fun though, Jess and Robert are cool people! Also Jess you left your oil at my house:eek:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
TooRoundTDI said:
It looked like whoever did the timing belt used the "mark and pray" method. The cam timing was a little off. The valve cover gasket had RTV on it and Jess peeled it all off. We changed the oil to the correct 5-40 diesel synthetic. Changed the oil and air filter but found out we had the wrong fuel filter. The injection timing was waaay off, it showed 0 when I first hooked up vag com. Fixed all that stuff and it ran great after. Had to prime the fuel pump with my mouth after I ran out of fuel since I had to put the old filter back in. Tasty diesel fumes! Also some of the valve cover bolts were torqued to about 300 ft/lbs, I was sweating stripping them. I think I lost 10 lbs in liquids today, it was HOT! I had fun though, Jess and Robert are cool people! Also Jess you left your oil at my house:eek:
So what you are saying is that you had to suck start the car?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
TooRoundTDI said:
Had to prime the fuel pump with my mouth after I ran out of fuel since I had to put the old filter back in. Tasty diesel fumes!
It would have been a lot healthier for you if she was using B100 :rolleyes:;)

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Nice to see it went well. I left Waterfest around 230 or so and thought I'd drive up, but my PDA didnt allow it. The directions were in my email from you and I couldnt access them! Oy! To make it worse, by the time I got to Conn. it was 6 or 7 due to traffic and a Motorcyclist who managed to separate his bike into 12 discernable pieces all over the road and the staties had blankets all over the road and gaurdrail to cover........something. The news was there too. That was HOURS in traffic.

Took me 3.5 hours on the dot to get to Englishtown from Mass. Took cumulitavely 7 hours to return. OUCH! Again glad to see it worked out and please report back mileage.

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
whitedog said:
So what you are saying is that you had to suck start the car?
owr084 said:
It would have been a lot healthier for you if she was using B100 :rolleyes:;)
Suck starting is way more fun than it sounds. I was about 10 seconds away from getting a mouthful of diesel and I would have been a LOT better off if it was B100. Even if it was just for the better (relatively) taste. Too bad you didnt make it Chill, you missed all the sucking:eek:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
TooRoundTDI said:
Tim,
Use the oil that I left. Thanks again for everything. Too bad I am not driving far today but tomorrow I am going to long island!! :D I think you convinced hubby to go to TDI Fest... he wants to meet "super nice" TDI people. ;)

I was really worried when Tim was sucking... does anyone know where I can get B100 in/near NY? :p

Sorry Mr.Chill about the traffic. It is definately no fun sitting in it. Luckily we didn't hit traffic there or coming home. We're zooming on 91 coming home and saw a Golf TDI pull infront of me to show me his butt TDI badge and bailed after I flash my lights at him. Wonder if that's a member of the club.

BTW, thanks FlyTDI for the avatar...

Jess

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
BTW, timing plays a major part in fuel economy. Keep an eye on it now that your set proper and hopefully you can change your mileage from :( to :)

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I forget exactly where the bio supplier is, but it's on Long Island. Search on biodieselnow.com, or another bio website any you should be able to find it easily.

The supplier in Queens was only willing to sell to commercial accounts last time I talked to them. (That was two or three years ago.) They were Schildwachter Fuel, IIRC.