Horn blows on left turn

tbonedr

TDI
altrkr7980
When i take a hard left in my 98 jetta TDI the horn Blows for a second and a half. I called the dealer and they said it would cost 200 dollars to fix, any ideas as to what it could be they said something about a spring,

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
There is this coil spring thing that sits behind the airbag that has the wiring in it for both the airbag and the horn. It spins as the wheel spins, both left and right. They are suggesting that this device has a short in it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Pull the steering wheel off and tighten the screws that are holding the hazard flasher housing in place. I betcha they have backed out a bit and are grounding against the back face of the steering wheel. If you look really carefully before removing the steering wheel, you can probably see the backed-out screw in question.

Been there, done that.

The only scary part about this procedure is unplugging the airbag connector. Ground yourself against something metal before you touch that thing. I've had mine off a couple of times, and haven't blown myself to bits yet, but your mileage may vary
Everything else is easy. Make sure you mark where the steering wheel is positioned so that you don't put it back off-center.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
ummm, dont make sharp left turns

you shoudl probably remove the battery cable before disconnecting the air bag
2 things can happen if you don't; 1, air bag could go off (very very slim chance, but hey take any precaution
) 2, CEL that you cannot clear.

tbonedr

TDI
altrkr7980
well I took the air bag out and I looked and I think I can do it NOW I have the airbag light that won't go off as if my day could get any worse, I already tryed resetting the ECU that didn't do it, but on the I think I saw the screws that were backed out I just thought maybe they weresuposed to be.so I didn't f with it

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Disconnect the battery.
Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position.
Reconnect the battery.

I think that this will clear the fault code from the airbag ECU.