Hopefully the last upgrade: ESP in my 2000 Jetta

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
Re: Hopefully the last upgrade: ESP in my 2000 Jet

vwtdi04,
Yes, if you want to upgrade Mk20 you should do it with Mk20 ESP and same for Mk60 (It may be possible to switch them but that would involve extra work probably).

You can identify it by the way it's mounted, and the way lines go out of it. In Mk20, ALL lines are going from a side, while on Mk60 some lines go from the top.
Michael Moore's picture of Mk60 with ESP:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

Well... it looks like I'm finished. Coding and calibration of all sensors were done after dinner. Now I just need to test the darn thing.

Many thanks to PTC, MOGOLF, and SVTWEB for the moral/overall support. Especially PTC without whom I couldn't have coded and calibrated anything.

As to pictures, well I've got some but probably not as much as I should have.

Kennedy plans on doing this modification as well on his 2002 Bora which would probably be more intersting to more of you out there.

If there is someone interested in doing this in a Model Year 1999-early 2001, I can try to provide some technical information.

Lito

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta

Lito,

Please make a PDF for this mod. Since my 2000 is a Mk 20 it would seem there is yet one more project I could do that requires major work and effort.

Where did you find a Mk 20 ESP? I didn't know any cars in the NA market had it.

Thanks in advance for all of the research. My Jetta is low enough in total miles that it makes more sense to upgrade than to get a newer car at this point. I had a Mercedes C240 with all the bells and whistles for a week as a loaner and I can clearly say that I would rather have a Mexican built Jetta any day over a Brazilian built Benz. Its no wonder the dealer lots are full of C class baby Benz's now that I have had a chance to live with one for a week. The only feature it had that my Jetta was lacking was the ESP and I plan on addressing that soon.

Tyler

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Tyler,

You're gonna have to get it from German Ebay. Search on..
ESP Steuergarät Part number needs to be 1C0 907 379

L

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

Now the real question.. Does this really make your driving experience better? Awh, who cares. ITs super cool.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Justin,

I have no idea, yet. SVTWEB has offered to show me how to get the ESP to engage

I guess if I can trust anyone, it's Eric. I'll let you know this winter.

Lito

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Justin,

Lito
Lito,

Autocross your car and you'll know if the ESP is working right away (it'll kill your time).

I auto-xed a friend's R32 and we both made the mistake (once each) of leaving the ESP on at the start of the run and the first corner you try to really power out of, that dash light will start flashing and the car will bog! Then you struggle to reach the switch with your right hand while working the wheel with the left and keeping your eyes on course and try not to miss a beat! Certainly not ideal...

Al

Kennedy

Veteran Member

Justin,

Lito
Lito,

Autocross your car and you'll know if the ESP is working right away (it'll kill your time).

I auto-xed a friend's R32 and we both made the mistake (once each) of leaving the ESP on at the start of the run and the first corner you try to really power out of, that dash light will start flashing and the car will bog! Then you struggle to reach the switch with your right hand while working the wheel with the left and keeping your eyes on course and try not to miss a beat! Certainly not ideal...

Al
Actually, as described in previous threads, that the ASR function that looks for wheel spin... If wheel spin is sensed, it will cut power to the engine. The button disables ASR even though it says ESP on it. ESP is never disabled.

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Chris,

It's probably true that ESP is never completely shut off, but perhaps the threshold is raised when ASR is shut off (or higher in an R32)? I could rotate the R with the ASR/ESP off and hung the tail out a time or two on course, just for grins (raining). Unfortunately, I don't have access to another ESP equipped A4 to test it against.

Al

Kennedy

Veteran Member

Chris,

It's probably true that ESP is never completely shut off, but perhaps the threshold is raised when ASR is shut off (or higher in an R32)? I could rotate the R with the ASR/ESP off and hung the tail out a time or two on course, just for grins (raining). Unfortunately, I don't have access to another ESP equipped A4 to test it against.

Al
Yeah...
Dunno the ESP specs either... ESP is looking for individual wheels turning faster that the average, and thus applies brakes to thos based on steering angle and yaw...

Pretty sure track style driving id no match for it though.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion

ESP Uses Lateral acceleration delta vs. steering angle input vs. wheel speed delta.

Simple Example with arbitrary figures.

IF the "G" sensor is reading .6G left with the steering turned 20' right and the wheel speeds are in spec it will do nothing. BUT if one of the variables changes quickly; I.E.- "G" Sensor slips to .1G Left (a slide) then is will counter with applying the inside rear brake, thus causing the dynamics of the car to change to bring all the variable back within the specified parameters.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

For Hrvoje,

I found T5i in the wiring harness. It is connected to the wiper stalk via green with white tracer.

It is 4-5 feet from the wiper stalk connector. It looks like this:

and is covered with black tape like this:

I think it is still inside the car...I would think the 5 wires wouldn't be buried inside the main harness.

The Ro/Br wire splices close by T5i. We know that the T10 connector and brake light switch are all connected to the Ro/Br wires.

Let me know if you can find it. I will be spending some time underneath a dash again soon and will look for it.

Lito

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

I think you might be looking for this connector, or one near it. It's behind the side trim in the footwell area. As you can see the location is where the wiring harness runs along the the area where the firewall, floor and side panels all meet.

I think this one is the T5h connector. According to the Bentley wiring diagram they are both 'near left A-pillar, lower part, in harness'.

This image is from the time when I installed the autodimming rearview mirror. Mine was not covered with tape.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

That's it Glen! It's right behind the hole that goes out to the door.

Hrvoje, that's it!

L

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD

Hello all

I’m planning to fit ESP in a 2000 Golf Tdi.

I currently have ASR fitted:
Control Module Part Number: 1J0 907 379 AF
Component and/or Version: ASR 20 IE CAN 0001
Software Coding: 13404

Pump : 1J0 614 417A

I assume I have a MK20 system –due to it having 25 pin connector on the pump and looking at the controller.

I need to know the parts required to fit ESP along with part no.

All the help would be appreciated

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD

Hi Lito

I’ve read the thread, a few questions to confirm my understanding

MK20 ESP retrofit

ESP ABS pump MK20 with 47-pin controller
ESP brake booster/master cylinder ESP
yaw/steering angle sensor – I assume I need the one that is not combined.

Please could someone give me the part no for the above parts

Thank you
Ray

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Steering Angle Sensor: 1J0 959 654AP
Brake Booster: In my post Wed, Nov 10, 2004 11:51pm
Yaw Rate Sensor: In my post Tues, Nov 9, 2004 10:56pm
Esp Pump: In my post Sun, Nov 28, 2004 10:56pm

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD

Lito I’m sorry if I offended you I couldn’t see the part numbers in the thread. That’s why I asked

Lito you spend your time identifying the post where you posted the part numbers. I’m a little puzzled why you did that, it would have benefited me and others if you just summarized the part no. That would have been beneficial

I do admire you for carrying out these modifications.

aRd

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I am in no way offended. I'll help you but I'm not gonna spoon feed you. If you're not willing to do some of the work, I'm not going to do it for you. So far, you haven't asked anything that hasn't already been posted.

You said you read the post, I've posted some of the numbers you're looking for, how did you miss them?

I've already invested much of my time taking pictures, posting part numbers, providing wiring diagrams and even coding procedures. I've invested much of my spare time to this forum and to the members here.

You're the one who needs to put in some of your time researching, reading and understanding. If you don't, you'll never complete this modification.

It is NOT an easy mod.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

ESP in a 1999-2001 Jetta/Golf requires REPLACING the following parts:

Brake Booster
Master Cylinder
ABS pump and Controller

Why?

The Brake booster has sensor on it that the non-esp booster doesn't have.

The Master Cylinder has Two sensors on it that the non-esp Master Cylinder doesn't have.

The ABS pump and Controller is an MK20 with 47 pins, not 25.

It also requires INSTALLING new parts such as:

Yaw Rate Sensors
Steering Angle Sensor

There is a new 14-pin connector that needs to be added so that the Yaw Rate Sensors, Steering Angle Sensor, Brake Booster Sensor, and Master Cylinder Sensor can communicate to the ABS Control Module.

The existing wires from the 25-pin connector all need to be transplanted or transferred over to a new 47-pin connector one by one to the correct pin assignment. Then, the additional wires need to be added to complete the wiring.

Sensor configuration and a road test need to be performed so that all the sensors are calibrated.

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD

Thank you Lito, you’re right I need to put a bit more home work in

I'm going to print off the whole of this post and go through it.

Does anyone know of anyone converting an MK20 system to MK60? MK60 parts are readily available in the UK.

Thankyou guys.

aRd

ravipedrosa

TDI
MK4 Jetta VR6
MK20 abs pump w/o ASR to mk20 pump with ASR

i have a 2001 golf the came with mk20 ABS pump with no ASR. I got a new pump with ASR and was planing on replacing it. I am thiking that the only thing needed for me would be upgrading the pump, runing the wires from the pump switch to the dash buttom so i can turn it on. i am totally wrong? what else is needed? i am sure i have read something of this nature here awhile ago.