Hopefully the last upgrade: ESP in my 2000 Jetta

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
So, I'm slowly gathering all the parts for an upgrade to ESP. I'll have most of the parts this week and am now debating whether I want to install it before this winter or wait for the spring.

There is just no time with the days so short and I'm getting tired of changing out my brake fluid every six months

If there is interest, I can post pictures of the parts and the installation. If not, no biggie.

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
Lito,

Are you thinking about trying to tackle this on Thursday? I don't know how much more time will be required for the cluster install, but your welcome to use the garage as late as you like.

Jeff

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeff,

Thanks but no. The last thing I want to do is change my ABS pump at a GTG away from home
Although I do have the power bleeder and tool to remove the brake booster.

I may run some wires, install a relay, and some sensors if there is time
This will take care of most of the wiring needed for this modification. Then the next step will be to replace the Booster, Master Cylinder, and ABS pump.

Ok Karl, looks like another PDF is going to be needed here

Lito

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Last upgrade! You sound like me, unfortunately it never is the last one.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I'm interested in this mod and would appreciate any details you can provide.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Lee,

I'll start taking and posting pictures of parts that I've got tonight.

For Model Year 1999-2001 the ABS pump is an 47-pin MK20 unit with ESP
For Model Year 2002-2004 the ABS pump is a 47-pin MK60 unit with ESP.

In either case, ASR is built into the ESP controller. If you've got ASR, the ASR button gets replaced with an ESP button. In both cases it's just a kill switch.

It is much EASIER to find parts and install(IMO) ESP in a 2002 or newer vehicle. All of the parts should be available in the J-yards. www.car-part.com Also, a few of the sensors were combined into one part.

L

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
2003 or newer

Staring at the EKTA...
1J0 698 517E => MK60 with ESP

still trying to find steering wheel angle sensors and yaw sensors...or something to that regard

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I never did the ASR upgrade to my car. In my looking at ETKA and I am just beginning to use that program, ESP requires a different master cylinder than ASR in addition to other things.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

OEM 14-pin harness which connects to the Brake Booster, Master Cylinder and ABS pump

Yaw Rate Sensors - under the steering column

Steering angle sensor-canceling ring

ESP ABS pump - MK20 with 47-pin controller

47-pin ABS harness

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You're scaring me !! How did my simple, little VW Diesel cars become as complicated as a jet fighter?

Great pictures!! I hope you put together a PDF sometime.. this is fascinating, but... all those sensors... more to go wrong... ($$$$$$$)

All the best,

Yuri.
2003 TDI Wagon

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
wow, lots of harnesses and sensors to go it there. Crazy that this was a $400 option when I bought the car.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 or newer

Staring at the EKTA...
1J0 698 517E => MK60 with ESP

still trying to find steering wheel angle sensors and yaw sensors...or something to that regard
Make sure you get the correct Yaw Rate Sensor. I belive the sensor was combined into one. You don't use the one I have shown in the pictures.

Clearly, buying the car WITH ESP is the best way to go. I don't see why you wouldn't have gotten it from the factory.

The sensors aren't really all that complex to install. You'll see. I'll post pictures.

The biggest unknowns for me are the ABS pump and controller, the brake booster and master cylinder. They are all used parts and I have no idea if they are all fine. Won't know till I get it done.

L

schultzy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI PD, 2004, Reflex Silver/Grey Velour
I wanted ESP in my 04 Golf when I bought it, but there wasn't one available. I'm interested in this upgrade, but I'm worried about the cost and difficulty of install.

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
The following is related to a Mk20 upgrade, but a Mk60 should probably be very similar in terms of parts. Cost can range from really not too much (couple hundred euros~dollars), to A LOT (couple THOUSANDS $) depending on where you get the parts, eBay or the dealer. If you try german eBay, you have to have someone who'll pay for it by bank transfer and probably forward the package from Germany (most sellers only ship to Germany).
I paid about $180 only for the small parts for the installation (wires, connectors, etc...) at the dealer.
Difficulty of install?
You have to run 20 or so new wires, change your brake servo with master brake cylinder, brake controller with hydraulic pump, remove your steering wheel to install the steering angle sensor, add a couple of other sensors, add a relay, make some adapter wire harnesses and tap some wires.
Of course bigger part of the whole deal is the research.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>this was a $400 option when I bought the car. <<

They'll make up the money when you need repairs... When my car came out of the dealer's body shop after a recent collision, it threw a code, and the service department wanted to charge me to replace the steering angle sensor... When I protested that this was also an aftershock of the accident, they looked further... turned out the body shop screwed up the clock-spring installation...

Dealers...

Yuri.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
For Model Year 2002-2004 the ABS pump is a 47-pin MK60 unit with ESP.
MK60 was a mid-year 2001 change. During Dec 2000 production they switched.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Glen. If you've got a 2001 with an MK60 we don't know if the ASR or ESP will work with your ECU. Someone was gonna be the guinea pig

Kennedy

Veteran Member
If I'n not mistaken,
2002 cars only require the "clock-spring" sensor, as the yaw sensor is combined.

I too have been planning this mod for a while, perhaps Lito and I will accomplish this togther.
For ESP in a 2020, I believe you require:
ESP pump and controller ($300 used)
ESP brake booster/master cylinder ($150 used)
ESP yaw/steering angle sensor (free if you ask nice when you buy the leather steering wheel $100 then resell the wheel).

I can only identify 8 wires that have to be ran, 2 to the master cylinder connector and 6 to the steering angle sensor.

The research continues...

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
wow, lots of harnesses and sensors to go it there. Crazy that this was a $400 option when I bought the car.
I wanted to get this when I bought my car, but there weren't any wagons around with the option. If I remember correctly the option was closer to $280. It annoyed me that they throw in a ton of safety features like side and curtain airbags that cost a lot, but they make this cheap and useful safety feature an option. Then they also don't order many cars with the option. That's VW brilliance for you.

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic sedan galactic blue
If I'n not mistaken,
2002 cars only require the "clock-spring" sensor, as the yaw sensor is combined.

I too have been planning this mod for a while, perhaps Lito and I will accomplish this togther.
For ESP in a 2020, I believe you require:
ESP pump and controller ($300 used)
ESP brake booster/master cylinder ($150 used)
ESP yaw/steering angle sensor (free if you ask nice when you buy the leather steering wheel $100 then resell the wheel).

I can only identify 8 wires that have to be ran, 2 to the master cylinder connector and 6 to the steering angle sensor.

The research continues...
I am going to get R32 DSG returning ring w/angle sensor for my Tiptronic steering wheel, then I will only need ESP pump and controller and ESP brake booster/master cylinder.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Thanks Glen. If you've got a 2001 with an MK60 we don't know if the ASR or ESP will work with your ECU. Someone was gonna be the guinea pig
Remember Lito, I've got a 2001 with MK60 and I'm successfully running an ASR unit.

By the way, what will you do with all your time once your done modding the Jetta???

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Justin, I forgot! You're running the RC2? or 3? Did your OEM ALH ECU activate the ASR? Do you know?

Lito

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Re: Hopefully the last upgrade: ESP in my 2000 Jet

What about fitting a Eurovan master cylinder with ESP???

My guess is that the Eurovan has a bigger master cylinder and that means more braking power.

Just an idea like that...

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Re: Hopefully the last upgrade: ESP in my 2000 Jet

I have 00 TDI golf, how can identify if have Mk20 unit or Mk60 unit, in etka shows some change was done 00/01 models
Basically if I have Mk20 unit, then if I would upgrade to ESP system I would need to find Mk20 parts.. the Mk60 wouldn't work ?