HOPA tuning pbox

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I am interested in a HOPA tuning box. The box that I have found is for a Mk4 10 pin set up. I am new to TDI and am not sure what I have. My car is a 2001 Jetta TDI with a five speed. CAn Anyone tell me where to look for the info that I need? Thanks, Dave

holsteinNB

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, 2003 Jetta wagon 305K and going strong.
Hi and welcome,

I am a realitive newbie myself but I do have some experience with the Hopa power box for the TDI. I like the tuning boxes because the average person can install/remove it as they want. They can be had used for reasonable $$$ and the performance increase for the money spent isn't bad. Hard to do with a ECU and keep the car running unless you have a spare, of course this costs $$$$$$.

I got a Hopa TB used, it had three potentiometers or "pots" on it to adjust the performance level increase and a lead that needed to be spliced into the MAF harness. The directions were not the best for adjusting it and in the directions it was recommended that the adjusting be done on a dyno. Something I couldn't afford. So I started playing with it and doing searches here to find out what I could. There are a few threads and I will see if I can find them for you.

What I found out by playing was, once the unit was installed, the left most pot (closest to the injection pump) was the high speed trim pot (2000-3000 rpm) turn CW to increase the power, turn CCW to decrease. The center pot is idle adjust. While at idle turn CW until the motor stumbles and the idle gets rough then turn CCW until the motor doesn't stumble and the idle is smooth. And the last pot, the far right pot, is for power across the entire power band. Turn CW to increase power, turn CCW to decrease power. All of these adjustments have to be done while the car is warmed up.

As a note I only turned one pot (CW/CCW) at a time and drove the car to see if it improved/decreased the performance. Then I would stop and do the adjusting again. A big thing to remember and helped me alot was recording how much I turned them on a piece of paper. (example: far right pot, 1/4 CW, 1/4 CW, 1/8 CCW and so on. That way I knew how far from the starting point I was) Also, that far right pot was very sensitive. At one point I was only moving it a 1/16 of a turn to find the sweet spot. One other thing, don't do this at night, one of the signs that you will notice is a increase in smoke out the exhaust. I was out, at night, thought I had it just right, only to find in the morning that the car could be used for fogging mosquitoes

holsteinNB

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, 2003 Jetta wagon 305K and going strong.
And by the way I believe the unit will work with your car. The ten pin connector is in reference to the connector used at the injection pump to connect to the ECU. To install the tuning box is pretty easy. Takes a little longer the first time because of the splice you need to make into the MAF harness. Otherwise it is a 10 minute job to install/remove it.

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
Thanks for the info. I will look into the one tha tI found a little more closely to see if it will fit. Thanks, Dave

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
There are two different Hopa tuning boxes: 8 pin and 10 pin. The 8 pin tuning boxes are for the earlier (B4 Passat and A3 Jetta) cars. The 10 pin tuning boxes fit the newer A4 Jetta, Golf, NB TDIs up to the PD cars. It will fit your car.

BTW, I had an 8 pin Hopa tuning box on my car some years ago. I sold it a long time ago. It was a nice mod when it was tuned right but the chip I replaced it with gave better performance and a smoother idle. The current chip I am running beats that one.

On my early TDI I was able to bleed the boost to increase the amount of air being pushed into the engine to alleviate some of the increased smoke from the Hopa box. It's difficult to do on the newer cars but not impossible.