Hood Latch Replacement

Trail Mutant

TDI
2004 Jetta / 280,000
Changed my radiator, but I guess I should have aligned my hood latch as it's toast. Three bolts hold it in, disconnected the cable, but there is a smaller rubber cable that is still attached to the left of the main release cable. No information on this? In any event not much on replacing the entire latch assembly either or making sure it is lined up with the hood. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 04 Jetta TDI with 277,000 +. Well maintained. Only thing left to go is my transmission.
I can't wait :)

okanuck

TDI
2011 Jetta wagon TDI
My hatch door on my Jetta Wagon started to unlatch constantly while driving. Thought I was going to replace latch (3 bolts) but 1st I tried a good dose of silicon spray. Haven't had a problem since, over 3 months. Also not slamming door helped too, use just enough force to close. No more problem.

Trail Mutant

TDI
2004 Jetta / 280,000
My hatch door on my Jetta Wagon started to unlatch constantly while driving. Thought I was going to replace latch (3 bolts) but 1st I tried a good dose of silicon spray. Haven't had a problem since, over 3 months. Also not slamming door helped too, use just enough force to close. No more problem.
Is there a way to test the new latch without closing the hood?

okanuck

TDI
2011 Jetta wagon TDI
Not that I know of. I put the old latch on after silicon spraying but left door panel off for a few weeks to make sure latch was working.