Honeymoon Road Trip!

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Taking a road trip with my new wife starting today after gettin married on Saturday. We left Northern Virginia this morning headed to Washington state for a second reception and then off to see lots of sights as we drive back to Virginia! Check back for updates as we make our way across this great country and back! If I can figure out how to post pics ill throw some of those up as well!

Stay tuned!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Congrats!!! That's one heck of a road trip. You, the car, and the wife will be very familiar with each other by the time you get back!!

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
Congratulations

First off, congratulations on getting married.
Sounds like an excellent road trip.
My recent road trip was a second honey moon for my wife and I. We just celebrated our 25th anniversary this year.
If you have the time Glacier Park is spectacular if you are taking the northern route, mount rushmoore and crazy horse monument are also pretty neat to see. yellowstone is pretty neat as well. My favorite was glacier park.

Have a great time!

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Have to say I'm a bit jealous, I've got the wife I need but not the cash and time for an epic road trip! :(

I hope you track your fuel expense and post that for us, and pics would be good too! Maybe you can find some interesting TDIs somewhere between the oceans. ;)

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Going a bit north through Montana to Glacier NP is worthwhile, since NW Montana is pretty and scenic, as well as Flathead Lake. Some good driving roads too if you like winding two lane roads. Dropping south of I-90 to visit Yellowstone is worthwhile too with interesting sites and scenery. Since the wolves were introduced about the only large animals around are bison, which are foul tempered and a lot faster than they appear (unless you can run 35 mph for a few miles don't mess with them).

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Day one is in the books! Just more than 1000 miles in 15 hours. Holed up tonight in Cedar Rapids, IA. Heading to I-90 tomorrow with a planned stop in Wall, SD. We are skipping most of the sights on the way west but will hit most of those things mentioned on the way back.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Avg 66mph. You are not wasting much time!!!
Tried to get a big chunk done the first day so we can see Wall Drug, possibly te Corn Palace and see someone in Bozeman, MT without needing to worry too much about not making the drive in 4 days. This week is also bike week in Sturgis so trying to allot time for bike traffic on that stretch of 90. Average about 43ish MPG on day one doing 70-74 whenever possible.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
The Corn Palace was worth seeing. The inside was ok, but wouldn't really stick around if it isn't open.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Sounds like my kind of honeymoon roundtrip. ...hmm, maybe i will do something similar with her and ofc the TDi!

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Day two in the books! Real bad headwind going through South Dakota plus the higher speed limit so my MPG dropped to about 35. Stopped by the Corn Palace and got fuel in Mitchell, SD. That place was pretty neat to see and took some decent pics there and along the way to my destination this evening of Wall, SD. Ill figure out how to upload them when I get to Washington. I'm heading to a little town south of Olympia, 79TA.

Lets see if I get any sleep tonight with all these motorcycles driving around. It's like there's a motorcycle rally around here or something ;) Next stop Bozeman, MT!

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
Donuts! Stop at Voodoo donuts in Portland (open 24 hours 7 days a week) or Top Pot in Seattle.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Donuts! Stop at Voodoo donuts in Portland (open 24 hours 7 days a week) or Top Pot in Seattle.
When I was out to Vancouver, WA in May we decided to try and get donuts there. We left the line after waiting 45 minutes and hadn't even got in the door yet. Maybe we will hit it right this time when we go to Multnohma Falls.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Ah, headwinds, just love headwinds. It seems that no matter which way I'm going the wind is blowing in my face. Good luck through Eastern MT where the wind hardly ever blows, below say 30 mph anyway.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
So I've been in Lewis County Washington for the last few days for our second reception. It has been a good time here hanging out with family and going to the Lewis County Fair which opened today. If you have not had them, go find Elephant Ears...they are delicious! Tomorrow we depart for more of the "honeymoon" portion of our trip. We'll be heading down south through California and then back north and east and see as much as we can see before vacation is up at Labor Day. I'll be more diligent about posting pics along the way though.

Here's a few from our drive west though!

The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD

Wall Drug Store, Wall, SD

All the bikes in Wall for Sturgis' Bike Week

My TDI in the "mini" badlands when scouting out a trail to run in Wall, SD.

Last Stand Hill, Battle of Little Bighorn

A great friend and true Hero in Bozeman, MT

Columbia Gorge in Washington

Last edited:

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Been pretty busy with driving and sight seeing. Below is the only photo I have on my phone. Maltnomah Falls Oregon. Didn't have time to swing off the highway to see Crater Lake because we had to get down to the Sacramento area to see family. Drove down to the Winchester House in San Jose and Sequoia National Monument and Kings Canyon. The drive up the mountain was beautiful and the views in certain spots were stunning.
Next, we headed down to Cabazon, CA (anyone seen the movie "Wizard" with Fred Savage?) and stayed in Palm Springs. Today/night, Vegas! Tomorrow the Grand Canyon followed by Four Corners and the arches in Utah then up to Yellowstone!
Someone asked earlier about mileage and whatnot. I'm more than 5,000 into the trip and have averaged probably about 42 mpg with 75mph highway speeds and lots of elevation changes recently. That's just a rough guesstimate. I've been posting in the August mileage thread which is more up to date than my fuelly. I'll post more definitive numbers when the wife has some more seat time and I have phone service at the same time.

Maltnomah Falls

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
Latest update from the road. Spent some time in Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, four corners and Arches National Park. Below is a pic of the iconic Delicate Arch which was kind unimpressive in a way. It is amazing how it formed and just sits there but it was smaller than I expected. Especially with everything else in the park being much bigger. The park as a whole was very impressive and is one of those places I think everyone should go see. My wife and I have concluded Utah is the most beautiful state in the country so far because of the contrast of colors in the landscape. US 191 is probably the best road to see the land off of. Below is a pic i took wih my phone so it isnt the greatest. Headed to Yellowstone next from Salt Lake City, Utah.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Next, we headed down to Cabazon, CA (anyone seen the movie "Wizard" with Fred Savage?)
So, according to this, we're in Goblin Valley. Great. I mean, I mean, I mean... it couldn't be Happy Valley or Wonderful Valley. Goblin Valley. Why not, Axe Murderer's Valley?