Honda Accord diesel

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I was on the way home today and I caught up with a Honda Accord diesel. On the side of the car it said "Bosch Clean Diesel Power". I know that they are not in production here in the states yet. Anybody know when Honda will be selling them? I did manage to take 2 pics of the car with my cell phones camera while I was driving. I'll try to post it later today or tomorrow if anybody is interested.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Not for a couple more years. Get those pictures posted.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
jasonh said:
I was home today and caught up with a Honda Accord diesel. On the side of the car it said "Bosch Clean Diesel Power". I know that they are not in production here in the states yet. Anybody know when Honda will be selling them? I did manage to take 2 pics of the car with my cell phones camera while I was driving. I'll try to post it later today or tomorrow if anybody is interested.
How the heck do you get to be the guy driving one of those vehicles anyhow?

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
fase2000TDI said:
How the heck do you get to be the guy driving one of those vehicles anyhow?
My mom's boyfriend gets to drive those, VP Bosch automotive aftermarket parts engineering. He specialized in diesels. Gets to drive many of the new diesels. He got the new toureg, jeep liberty, and a few others. Does this since the fuel systems are designed by bosch. Pretty smart guy.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Bosch US is in Farmington Hills, MI. I wasn't aware that they were working with Honda on the diesel thing. I had assumed that a Japanese manufacturer would be their partner.

Gotta like this global economy thing....

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
I think Bosch had a strangle hold on common rail injection for a while now. Although there are some new common rail patents these last couple of years.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10then34 said:
If Bosch had the patents, why are we stuck with 505.01 oil ?
I think I'm picking up on a bit of sarcasm here :).

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
From what "mr. bosch" told me was that they design the fuel injection systems. he also explained the "new" PD engines when they came out and exactly how they worked. WAY over my head. Anyway, he told me that bosch does alot of the fuel injection systems on diesels. Im not surprised that they're doing the hondas. I'll give him a call and post any details soon.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
10then34 said:
If Bosch had the patents, why are we stuck with 505.01 oil ?
Because VW tried to work around some of those patents with the PD motor. The PD motor requires this special spec for oil.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
leicaman said:
Because VW tried to work around some of those patents with the PD motor. The PD motor requires this special spec for oil.
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but isn't the PD a Bosch system ? (the PD system on Lombardini stationary engines is a Bosch system).

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I read somewhere here on the news group. I believe that VW didn't want to go common rail last time around due to a patent and that is why the PD was born.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
The PD eliminates a complex distributor fuel pump. Perhaps it was an attempt at an elegant solution at a time when common rail was in its infancy.

TM

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tin Man said:
The PD eliminates a complex distributor fuel pump. Perhaps it was an attempt at an elegant solution at a time when common rail was in its infancy.

TM
x2
I believe that PD allowed performance that was not acheivable with CR when VW developed it (with Bosch) in the late '90's.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Ford (or Navistar) had a similar design (and may still have as far as I know) where the fuel was pumped via hydraulic injectors or some such mechanism. This also was very oil-specific/sensitive.

TM

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Tin Man said:
I believe that the main reason was to increase injection pressures beyond what the distributor pump could achieve.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None the less it is terrific to see Honda bring that Accord diesel in. I wonder what their maintenance schedules are and what type of oil their diesels require?

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I propose using a FASS system!!!!

Got Fuel?

I do... God I love my Cummins!!!

WHOOSH!!!!

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
leicaman said:
None the less it is terrific to see Honda bring that Accord diesel in. I wonder what their maintenance schedules are and what type of oil their diesels require?
I'm getting details soon

one.nine

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
ok, that's most likely the europe version on page 1 of the thread. the common rail vw's and merc's (blue tec type) coming out in 2008 will have the urea systems that are needed to be filled at dealers to keep emissions clean for the epa. Honda is going to try to get some thing different, a 3 catalyst system. A system that produces its own urea so that it does not need to be filled. The downfall.... vw's and mercedes will have larger tanks for urea for the denoxtronic system. So far it is unclear if bosch or denso will be working with honda to bring the diesel to the US. more details as they become available.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
From Automotive Engineer...
Honda plans four "next generation" power plants
October 2006

Honda has announced four “next-generation” power plant technologies, aimed at reducing CO2 emissions.
Honda’s next generation clean diesel engine is claimed to be able to reduce exhaust gas emissions to a level equal to that of a gasoline engine using a “revolutionary” NOx catalytic converter that is entirely self contained, generating its own urea as opposed to requiring an outside source to be added.
The system works via a two-layer structure, with the first layer absorbing NOx from the exhaust gas during lean-burn operation and converting a portion of this into ammonia. This is done by first having the engine management system adjust the engine air-fuel ratio to rich-burn, at which point the NOx in the adsorption layer reacts with hydrogen taken from the exhaust gas, producing ammonia.
The second layer then absorbs this ammonia, and switching back to lean-burn mode, reintroduces it in a reaction that converts the remaining NOx into harmless nitrogen (N2).
By generating and storing its own ammonia, removing the need for additional storage and measuring systems, Honda’s catalytic converter is made compact and light. The system also has enhanced NOx reduction performance at 200-300°C, the main temperature range for diesel engines.
Honda’s catalytic converter has been designed for use with its 2.2 i-CTDi diesel engine, first introduced in 2003 in the European Accord model. Honda has announced that it is hoping to introduce its next generation diesel engines in the US within three years, that they will meet US Tier II Bin 5 emissions requirements and that there are plans to include it on V6 and inline 4 engines. A spokesperson from Honda has also said that it is “likely” that the clean diesel technology will come to Europe and that if the European Commission’s NOx emission standard of 0.2 g/km is adopted, it should meet any proposed Euro 5 regulations.
Elsewhere...
Honda is trialling its new advanced V-Tec engine on an Accord in Japan, where the engine is to be evaluated before a decision is made on whether to bring the technology to Europe. At present, there are no plans to introduce the variable valve timing and lift electronic control system to Europe.
The new engine allows “optimum” control over intake valve lift and phase depending on engine speed and load, resulting in improved charging efficiency – how well the engine “breathes” – for an increase in torque at all engine speeds. Under low to medium load levels, the valves are set for low lift and early closure, which results in the reduction of pumping losses and improved fuel economy.
Intake components in the engine have also been improved, and in conjunction with the valve timing, Honda calculates that fuel economy can be improved by around 13 per cent compared to the current production 2.4-litre i-VTec engine.
Honda plans to release a production vehicle equipped with the new engine within three years, with spokesmen stating that although the engine was tested on an Accord, the technology is potentially applicable to “various” platforms.

DB

Last edited: