Ho5G Food thread 6.25.2011

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Ok, I will start this list up and keep the first post updated.:)

#2 – Food: It's not fair to expect the same people to provide the bulk of the food! Check the food list and plan to bring something to share. It's standard 'pot luck' format so if you don't see something on the list - it's not coming! In other words, you might go hungry or thirsty...

JKHTDI - grillable meats - sausages & chicken.
MikeS 18 - pulled pork sliders, soda
Mech644 - bottle of propane (yeah now we need fry-ables!)
BeetleGo - Roasted Veggies (would we expect anything less/else?) hehe
Rocketeer928 - Ted's Surprise (chocolate, buttery, salty cracker goodness)
Greaseburger - Hot dog's, rolls and sodas
NHgranite - Chips, Snacks, bottles of H2O
MayorDJQ - some beer, and either dogs or sausage of some sort along with the proper bread accessories
Campbellonh - shrimp and beer
Lug_Nut - chocolate covered peanut butter bars (thanks to the wonderful Bonjonbart!!)
K harley - chicken salad
GTiTDi - fresh/local seafood
Phoenix =42 - possible fresh bread
BlueCTTDi - Buffalo chicken dip (celery & chips/crackers) in case you forgot mike :):)
McGink - Burgers and buns

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
The pulled-pork sliders seemed to be liked this past weekend. I'll make some more of those. and bring a couple suitcases of soda.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
The fryer is here...would need oil and fryables...the use of a 'guest' propane tank would be appreciated since we're running the propane for the grill too...

hapnan1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon Returned
The pulled-pork sliders seemed to be liked this past weekend. I'll make some more of those. and bring a couple suitcases of soda.
SKIP the soda !!! Bring a couple of suitcases of your pulled pork sandwiches!!!!!
They were OUTSTANDING!!!:D

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I'll bring a full propane bottle,
Julie, just need to know if the connection on your grill has male or female thread on the collar?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I'll bring some beer, and either dogs or sausage of some sort along with the proper bread accessories.

Other than a trigger wire for my rear fog, I have no big project planned so I'll volunteer for a shift at the grill.

Bonjonbart

TDI
2000 Golf GL
Lug_Nut's donation

No, not blood, but I'm writing this for him because he doesn't know what I'm sending to Ho5G in the brown wagon. :p

He's bringing chocolate covered peanut butter bars. He will not eat them on the way to NH.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I could bring a watermelon or two, and figured since I am on Cape I could bring up some fresh seafood any requests? I was thinking maybe some scallops and or stuffed quahogs but am open to other suggestions.

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have 1 food from sea request, NO SHELLFISH, we have a member who is very allergic and cannot be around it. Please and Thank you :)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Okay, please bare with me. I am not a foodie per se, but I've been around the block a few times. Funny I've never bumped into a quahog. What is one, and do they taste like chicken? ;)

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
A quahog does not taste like chicken, it's more like.... a quahog amazingly enough. In some markets they are known as littlenecks. Biologically similiar to a clam (or steamer to some) they have a different shell shape; rounder and thicker, deeper in section, and much thicker shell.
Big ones are commonly shucked, chopped up, mixed with a stuffing and baked in the shell as...stuffed quahogs. Also eaten on the half shell; tougher then clams, brinyish iodine flavor, best washed down with copious amounts of Narragansett.
Once you get below Race Point, quahogs can be found fairly close to the innertidal edge; they are tonged, dredged/dragged, or dived. Up here in Maine, quahogs are also found offshore in deep water, mud bottom, they are usually the smaller ones known as mahogany quahogs.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Thanks, Mech! Sounds like something I would enjoy, just not at the Ho5G!

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I have 1 food from sea request, NO SHELLFISH, we have a member who is very allergic and cannot be around it. Please and Thank you :)
I take your statement to mean that just being in the precense of shellfish will cause an allergic reaction. If so then shellfish still in the shell would pose greatest risk.
What if the creature in question was already removed from it's shell and cooked beforehand? ie; baked scallops wrapped in bacon, crab cakes, etc.

BTW I'm bringing beer and propane. My clamming, scallop shucking, quahog picking, and trap gear handling days are behind me.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I take your statement to mean that just being in the precense of shellfish will cause an allergic reaction. If so then shellfish still in the shell would pose greatest risk.
What if the creature in question was already removed from it's shell and cooked beforehand? ie; baked scallops wrapped in bacon, crab cakes, etc.

BTW I'm bringing beer and propane. My clamming, scallop shucking, quahog picking, and trap gear handling days are behind me.

I was going to bring prepared stuffed quahogs but have decided not to since I don't want to upset anybody. I don't know any of you personally so I would rather not rock the boat. I eat plenty of seafood at home.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Actially the Hamster will seclude her self with said shelled creatures in the back garages
for gorging of said crustations.

BRING ICE PLease I am trying to get the freezer to work making ice.