Hilarious story of my friend and his diesel Chevy Cruz

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have a coworker who owns a "unicorn", the diesel Chevy Cruz. I wanted to share with people who would understand.

So, he goes to Walmart, picks up a jug of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), and he pours it into the tank of his car in the parking lot. He finishes, puts the jug into the trunk and realizes he forgot to get milk.

He runs back into the store, gets milk and gets stopped by security as he is leaving the store. Security informs him that the police have been notified and are on their way.

Turns out, a woman reported that a man was pouring explosives into his trunk at Walmart and reported him and they caught him on video surveillance.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's pretty funny. I bet the police appreciated that call. I hope he got an apology.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
How does he like his diesel Chevy Cruise? I have been eyeing them depending on how the "fix" or buy back program goes.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Was he the Mathematician, who was reported on an airplane and detained because a woman on the plane did not understand the math symbols he was using to solve a mathematical problem!

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I can believe both tales. Heck, the news these days is full of hysteria about bathrooms, of all things. All there is to say is that stupidity is the only resource the human race has in truly unlimited abundance.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
There was a recent case where a briefcase had been left on the hood of a car. Police were called, full out bomb squad action ensued ending with them blowing the thing up in place. Shortly afterward the owner of both the car and briefcase came out to see what all the fuss was about. He was just a bit miffed. Welcome to the 21st century.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Since it happened in America, he should sue her for filing a false police report, causing him to be detained, and mental anguish. Maybe he could also claim that exposure to her stupidity has cause him to lose several IQ points and he had to quit his job as a result.

In fact, maybe I can sue her because I feel a little dumber now.

Scobi-wan

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi 5 spd , slightly modified.
The majestic people of walmart never cease to amaze me. i saw a cruz diesel on my way back from louisiana the other week , the owner seemed to love it. He was on the way to Florida from Texas , says he was getting about 48-50 mpg on Highway. Asked if there were any warranty issues he was dealing with , said he had a CEL for something exhaust? related, but it didnt affect his driving at all. That was the first Cruze Diesel ive seen in action . Seemed like a nice option .

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Moral of the story, Don't shop Walmart. I've been Walmart free for some time now.

That's really not the issue, I know.

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
How does he like his diesel Chevy Cruise? I have been eyeing them depending on how the "fix" or buy back program goes.
If you are a height that is even close to being considered "tall," you better forget about it. The Cruze is one of the most cramped modern cars I've ever been in. I occasionally have to ride shotgun in one and I hate it every time. I'm 6'2".

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I rarely go to Walmart anymore, it's a zoo in there anyway, almost not worth it IMO.

The DHS started that "See something say something" a few years back. Was nothing but an excuse for idiots playing hall monitor and reporting anything they say just to get the attention.

I never realized that DEF was explosive...

Steve

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I rarely go to Walmart anymore, it's a zoo in there anyway, almost not worth it IMO.

The DHS started that "See something say something" a few years back. Was nothing but an excuse for idiots playing hall monitor and reporting anything they say just to get the attention.

I never realized that DEF was explosive...

Steve
We have 7 Super Walmart's in a 15 mile radius of our house. Scary!:eek: They are pretty full most of the day!

DEF is 67% dionized water and 33% urea (nitrogen). It's essentially fertilizer.:D

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
We have 7 Super Walmart's in a 15 mile radius of our house. Scary!:eek: They are pretty full most of the day!
that's just plain disgusting....

DEF is 67% dionized water and 33% urea (nitrogen). It's essentially fertilizer.:D
Be that as it may there are lots of other fertilizers out there too. IMO the person who reported the "issue" might have been a little too paranoid for her own good...who knows. I can think of at least a dozen things that people in the US ought to be paying attention to and someone adding DEF to their car in a Walmart parking lot aint one of them.

Steve

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I walked out of a store, realized I had forgotten to put my valve stem caps back on after checking tire pressure that day. Went to install them in the parking lot, and a lady starts yelling out of her mini van, "Hey what are you doing!!! Stop!" I said "What?" she proceeded to yell at me for letting the air out of someones tires.

Hey look, I even have the keys to this said car, and ohh wait, I am going to drive away with it!

That was at a Petco... Walmart, I just try to avoid.

gliitch

TDI
MKVI Golf
I would have told security to pound sand and went about my day

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
but then we complain if something bad does happen in a public place and nobody bothers to stop and report it.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Was he the Mathematician, who was reported on an airplane and detained because a woman on the plane did not understand the math symbols he was using to solve a mathematical problem!
Yup. This was the first story that popped into my head when I read the original post. The math equation, coupled with the fact that he wasn't pale skinned led the woman to the conclusion that he must be an Arab terrorist. The guy is actually Italian, lol.

Ivy League economist ethnically profiled, interrogated for doing math on American Airlines flight
'Murica.:rolleyes: That's where we're at as a nation...mathematics mistaken for Arabic writing, lol. It's cases like this that back up my position that 'Idiocracy' is in fact a documentary about the U.S...not a work of fiction.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-for-doing-math-on-american-airlines-flight/

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I walked out of a store, realized I had forgotten to put my valve stem caps back on after checking tire pressure that day. Went to install them in the parking lot, and a lady starts yelling out of her mini van, "Hey what are you doing!!! Stop!" I said "What?" she proceeded to yell at me for letting the air out of someones tires.

Hey look, I even have the keys to this said car, and ohh wait, I am going to drive away with it!

That was at a Petco... Walmart, I just try to avoid.
After reading this thread, I've gotta say my reaction is similar to the lady's, except I would simply have observed you putting the caps on. I might have asked you if you had a problem that needed assistance.
We're all a little jumpy about security issues, mostly unjustified, IMHO.

(Note to self: don't mess with the car in a commercial parking lot, unless it's VERY clear what you're doing...or...find the security camera, smile and wave!)

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Generalization forthcoming:

People are Ignorant, scared, and generally so connected into "social networks/media" and thusly avoid being social.

Myself included.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Had a rental Cruze a couple years ago. I'm 6'3", and my wife is 5'4" and we agreed: Most uncomfortable seats we've ever been afflicted with.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Had a rental Cruze a couple years ago. I'm 6'3", and my wife is 5'4" and we agreed: Most uncomfortable seats we've ever been afflicted with.
/\ THIS too!

They feel very firm.

VW's seats often feel just right or maybe a little soft or a little firm depending on the car.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
I have a coworker who owns a "unicorn", the diesel Chevy Cruz. I wanted to share with people who would understand.

So, he goes to Walmart, picks up a jug of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), and he pours it into the tank of his car in the parking lot. He finishes, puts the jug into the trunk and realizes he forgot to get milk.

He runs back into the store, gets milk and gets stopped by security as he is leaving the store. Security informs him that the police have been notified and are on their way.

Turns out, a woman reported that a man was pouring explosives into his trunk at Walmart and reported him and they caught him on video surveillance.
And as a result our armed forces went to DEFCON 5!

Sorry, I can't help it, it's a Friday.