highest oil temperature ?

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
On a recent trip while towing a 1500kg trailer, I saw 252 degrees briefly while driving up a grade with an outside temperature of 80F

I was in 5th gear at about 2200 rpm, maybe half throttle, but not sure about that. More power was available, but I didn't want to push it to the limit.

Just wondering what you guys may have seen as the highest oil temperature.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I don't tow and I don't recall my peak temps last summer, but this winter, my typical temperature once up to full operation has been 203F oil and 193F water (ScanGaugeII readout). During regen, 208F oil and 195F water.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
5th gear may have been the wrong gear for that load on that grade. The egt and oil temps would probably have been lower in 4th gear. 1500 kg is quite a lot of tow load for a 3000 lb passenger car.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
5th gear may have been the wrong gear for that load on that grade. The egt and oil temps would probably have been lower in 4th gear. 1500 kg is quite a lot of tow load for a 3000 lb passenger car.
I did you use 4th for the steeper grades, sometimes even third mostly based on how the car felt. whenever the car slowed down on the grade in whatever gear it was in, at my arbitrary partial throttle, I geared down.
Kept the rpm's mostly between 2200-2400 except for really steep grades, or when passing. My mind was on the transmission and axles, not to push them any harder than necessary.

One time I had to pass two double trailers, the rear one was tailgating the front one, it looked like a quarter mile from one end to the other.
Then I floored it in third !

The motor actually had quite a bit of engine braking power on downhills , I was surprised and hardly used the brakes.

Yes, a lot of weight, but the car did an amazing job, fantastic little motor !

I averaged about 28mpg at 60-65 mph, very happy

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Highest I recall seeing on mine was 115C (240F, I think) - that was in the summer (25C outside), going about 125km/h on a 9% grade (3km long or so).
2015 GSW / DSG.

Babyspider

TDI
2009 Jetta DSG Turned in, 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG, 2015 A3
I tow a 1400 lb travel trailer through the mountains of North Carolina and see 250 degrees f in my Golf. I averaged 20 mpg and was averaging 65-70 mph going up and down the mountain. Plenty of power and the car handles very well.

Pulling 1500kg? The car weighs 1350kg. You have mucho grande nuts.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I tow a 1400 lb travel trailer through the mountains of North Carolina and see 250 degrees f in my Golf. I averaged 20 mpg and was averaging 65-70 mph going up and down the mountain. Plenty of power and the car handles very well.

Pulling 1500kg? The car weighs 1350kg. You have mucho grande nuts.
Actually, it was closer to 1670kg, or 3740 lbs based on the total weight of 6740 lbs according to the scale at the waste collection station. Yes, I know, more than the "allowed" towing rating.

1800 mile trip.

Gotta love the pulling power and efficiency of these EA288 TDI's and the excellent chassis and brakes.

Going in for the first oil change tomorrow at the dealer with only 6000 miles.
(Car sat for maybe a year before I bought it )

This was a one time tow, but based on how well it did, I might buy a small motorcycle trailer to tow my Honda Transalp motorcycle.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That's cute. I've seen my oil temp nearly peg my 300 F gauge in the air cooled stuff while pulling a steep grade in the summer while loaded down. :p

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I can't seem to find it on the MFD. Does it have to be turned on with VCDS?
I don't believe so. Should be able to cycle to it with up or down arrow on your steering wheel when you're on the speedometer, mpg, etc screen.

If you bought yours used, perhaps the previous owner deselected it as an option in the center console display. Just go back in and select it.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Nice! So then Blue Hen is right you have to select it on the MFD menu which I i think is on the radio screen. I deselected it on my wife's GSW since she won't use it.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Looked into this a bit deeper today, wasn't in the Multifunction Display menu as shown above. Had to activate it with VCDS, all good now.

For anyone who runs into this issue in the future:
Instruments-17 > long coding > byte 10 > activate bit 1

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That is very strange. You know that photo above is in the radio display and that you have to scroll down to it right?

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
That is very strange. You know that photo above is in the radio display and that you have to scroll down to it right?

Yes, I know that. I scrolled through the menu and the option was not available until I activated it through VCDS.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok sorry. I have a lot of blond moments even though I am bald so I always try to look for the obvious over sights. :eek: