Higher Coolant Temp After Fix?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I had the phase one fix done on Friday. I was on the highway tonight with cruise control set for 66, my Scanguage indicate the coolant temp was 215. The dash showed the temperature outside to be 38. Usually if there is a spike like that it is only momentary and the coolant temp drop back down to normal. Instead, it hovered between 213 and 215 for the next 15 minutes until I got off the highway. After getting off the highway the temp quickly dropped below 200 for the remainder of m drive home.

I do have both the upper and lower grill completely blocked off with a homemade winter front. It has been installed all winter and the coolant temp levels off no higher than 206 even when the temperature outside is in the upper 50s.

Has anyone else noticed higher coolant temperatures post fix? Other than the phase 1 fix nothing else has changed. Until tonight I have never seen sustained temps that high.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I don't have anything in the grill and my oil temp is normally above your 206. Granted, I don't look at it very much but it is usually above 206. I have no idea, if it means anything and I not worried about it. It has run just fine for 41k.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Those numbers are on par with our Passat after that 35N5 (or what ever it is) update. Constant 210+ read via torque.

Lets just hope you don't start getting heater core/coolant clogging issues like the Passat has. I know VW has said thats due to a bad batch of heater cores, but my personally belief is that coolant gets baked and sends it down hill fast.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
On my 30 minute commute this morning the coolant temp once again reached 215. So it not a one off event.

I am not sure what was typical for the coolant temp to be as mine is the only car I have info on. Below is a quick history of what I have seen as typical coolant temps since I got the car.

January 2016 to March - No scanguage / no info.
March to November - 195 F
November to January Fix - 206 F with grill covered.
Post Fix - 215 F

206 F never caused me any concern since it was only 10 degrees higher than what I was seeing before covering the grill. According to Sunnyb 206 might be normal. Anyone else wanna chime in on that? I always thought 195 F might be a bit low. If 195 F is normal I am a bit concerned that its now running 20 degrees hotter.

If its the new post fix operating temperature and the heater core goes because of it. Would that be covered under the new warranty? Im hoping this is no be deal and nothing to worry about.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Do the new engines have a software controlled thermostat? :confused: I guess they do have a cylinder head and block coolant loop...

-J

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Interesting. When the coolant is "hot", if you demand a lot of power from the engine does it cool off some? That's the strategy our V10 employs - it has a ~200*F thermostat, with a heating element in it so the computer can call for extra cooling. Put the engine under a heavy load and the coolant temp will drop to 180*F.

215*F really isn't that hot anyway, our 2012 will run that warm going down the highway. If you're driving up a mountain it's easy to get it to 225*F.

-J

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've seen 206-210 oil temps even during the winter on the interstate. As high as 221 during summer with A/C on. I don't think there's anything to worry about. If it were me, I'd unblock the upper grille as that is your main fresh air supply for the air filter and also gets air put onto the intercooler.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Thanks everyone. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be an issue. It is just so it if the ordinary I wanted to be sure.

I am willing to consider unlocking the your grill but to be honest there is no difference I can tell in performance, mpg, or operation between having the grill blocked or unlocked. That said the cover is not perfect so there is likely a good bit if airflow going on. I'm 100% open to pulling it off or modifying it if there is a potential problem.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I was discussing this with VeeDubTDI, he had an interesting thought: What if the EGR rate has increased enough that it's putting more load on the EGR cooler?

-J

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
What does the gauge cluster say? Probably just right at 200F which is hilarious when it could be way less or way more and still straight up and down at 200 on my car. Torque tells the truth. My car thermostat is definitely 200 or real close to it as I've watched it for 59k miles now.