High Wear Items Life

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey all,

I have recently acquired a very nice 2003 Jetta Wagon. This is my first TDI, but have done a ton of research beforehand, so I am very aware of all the temperaments that these cars can have. This car had the whole shabang done (water pump/ timing belt, etc) done at 75k miles back in 2009 with a Gates kit. It is currently 2021 with 142k miles on the clock, putting it at 67k miles since it was last done, but also 11 years. The guy who owned it before drove it intermittently and a longer trip here and there, so it never just sat for a long period of time. Question is, I know its pretty well under the 80-100k mile interval between changes. Should I be concerned about the age? Peeking through the cover, it appears that the belt is still in great condition, no visible wear marks or frays. Water pump works fine, holds at a steady 190. I plan on addressing it all FOR SURE by 80-85k miles, just wondering if I can get that extra 15k miles or so out of the current stuff in there, or if I need to play it safe and tackle it right away.

Thanks!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your wagon purchase. There will be 2 answers depending on who will chime in: 1. Drive till you get to 80k miles and then replace it. 2. Change it right away because the belt life from the manufacturer is X number of years (I cannot recall how many). You did a visual inspection and no visible marks or frays; I would be confident that an additional 15k miles will be just fine.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Another question is: do you care if the TB fails and destroys the head? If you don't (say you got the car for free, or some other), then just drive. If you do, and you are mechanically inclined, then just buy a TB kit and change it yourself for the cost of parts.

I fall in the 2nd category. Actually, you just reminded me I need to get changing my Passat's TB, which is sitting at around 95k, but it is the original one from back in 2015...8 years is what most people say for all things timing belt: rollers, water pump, tensioner, belt. Belt service interval for my 2015 CVCA is 130k.

Last edited:

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
My 03 has 70k miles but 8 yrs on the TB system. Belt looks great but one of the bearings is making noise. It is the top idler btw the cam and injection pump. If I push the belt down the bearing has play side to side and makes noise. Checked my 01 (with 40k on TB) and its super smooth. I stopped driving it and ordered parts. I'm not sure why it is failing premature but I suspect it is age related. All other TB changes had made it 100k without issues but there was only 3-4 yrs btw intervals not 8.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Another anecdote (a favorite!) My factory-mounted belt went to 82k when I decided to have it changed by a Trusted Mechanic.
The belt (and the rest) was 11 years old.
That was before I "knew better". Now, I'm 30k mi away from 100k on my current belt, but it's 7 years old.
I'm thinking I'll go another 10k or 1 more year. A bit nervous? yes.
But I'm going to look it over really well here soonish.
Gotta 'peek' at every inch, watch it run, watch the rollers.

When you get yours done, stick with trusted vendors, because less-than-OEM-level parts are a tragedy waiting to happen.
If you DIY, read this a few times and then read some TB change threads too for even finer points.
The TB on these is unlike most.

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the consensus is if I am feeling particularly ballsy, I have the chance of being able to get a few more miles out of it, but to be on the safe side, should probably just pull the trigger and get er done. Which leads me to my next question to get a fresh set of opinions. In terms of kits, it seems that Contitech and Gates are some of the highest quality. Is this still the case? Are there any that are better or worse? I don't plan on cheaping out, I will go for something that I can comfortably run 80-100k miles myself.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Conti and Gates are good belts, but there is much more than belts in the whole deal. Just go to one of the multiple vendors that support this site and they do make sure all parts in the kit are quality, and they stand by what they sell.

Metalmanparts, Cascadegerman, tunemyeuro, IDparts, probably others I can't remember. All of the former I have used, and they are all really good people.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
As indicated by others, age is the indicator at this point.
I've seen numerous Timing Belts go way beyond 100k miles (one OE at 149k) without giving up, but all were over a short period of time.

Not exactly the same, but quite similar. An "old" MK1 Jetta Diesel of mine had the TB to break while the engine was idling .......... 20 year old belt with very low miles!

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I've purchase 3 Conti Kits from IDParts over the years. They have performed great each time (2 made it 100k, 1 currently in use). I just recently purchased the Gates/INA Kit from IDParts for my 03 JW, because I read that Gates might be better quality and INA bearings are better quality. I will have to look back through my JW records to see what kit the PO put in there since the bearings are wearing prematurely. but I'm sure its a Conti belt. Make sure the water pump has a metal impeller.

And get the proper TB tools. no mark n' pray

dvancura2

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Alright, I went ahead with the kit from MetalMan. Seems to sound like a very good option. Now for the tools. Hopefully I don't plan on doing this more than 2 or 3 more times after this, which would make it a little foolish to outright buy a 200 dollar tool set. Has anyone used the rental services from places as metalman or tunemyeuro? Seems like a good way to go. Not sure if one is better than the other or what the best option is to go on that.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI