high rev protection ? yes or no

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
I've always been a VW fan (my 8th diesel). Although I did try something else in the last 3 years but came back to VW 1 month ago with the purchase of a 2006 Jetta TDI.

I have one simple question, in the manual they mention not to rev the engine past the red zone ( 4500 rpm). Here's my question, does this car model have a protection just in case I forget, don't look etc..... and go past that limit ?

thanks again

Luc
Montreal, Canada

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is supposed to be protected. I believe I read it stops injecting fuel at 5100 rpm and should cause no harm to your engine to hols it to the floor. I haven't done this, just read it here. Please search the forums to make sure yourself that you are satisfied with the answer given.

TerribleTDI

TDI
06 VW Jetta TDi, DSG, PKG 1, North Sea Green
I know that in manual mode (DSG) it will just barely spin into the red (accidents happen). Gotta be carefull about when to shift! Though I didnt get near 5100 so I dont know...
Why dont you spin it to 7000 for us and find out?

*ME

TDI
2012 Jetta
Congrats on your tdi purchase.
Don't worry, the engine will cutoff, via fuel as Lightflyer1 stated, if you overrev it. Just try not to overrev it during the break in period.

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
The reason that I asked was that I did get it up there in the red zone ( approx 4800) and nothing happened where my 2003 does cut off sooner.

Thanks to all for info and also thanks TerribleTDI for great answer. I will rev it up to 7000 and keep you inform.

I've been looking at this site for many many years and all the info and answers are great. Though, if I had to make one comment it would be that I did notice that sometimes, answers are very sarcastic compared to my '' ex-car's '' forum. We must admit that we all don't have the same ''mechanical '' knowledge so if someone asks for a question it's to get a good answer even if it sounds stupid for some. Maybe that this person is a doctor or a lawyer. Try asking that person a medical or legal question !!!

Thanks all for your help

Luc
Montreal, Canada

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I concur vwluca, many people here tend to voice their frustration on the threads and that's not very good netiquette.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
vwluca said:
The reason that I asked was that I did get it up there in the red zone ( approx 4800) and nothing happened where my 2003 does cut off sooner.

Thanks to all for info and also thanks TerribleTDI for great answer. I will rev it up to 7000 and keep you inform.

I've been looking at this site for many many years and all the info and answers are great. Though, if I had to make one comment it would be that I did notice that sometimes, answers are very sarcastic compared to my '' ex-car's '' forum. We must admit that we all don't have the same ''mechanical '' knowledge so if someone asks for a question it's to get a good answer even if it sounds stupid for some. Maybe that this person is a doctor or a lawyer. Try asking that person a medical or legal question !!!

Thanks all for your help

Luc
Montreal, Canada
Your 2003 should cut off at 5100 RPM. The only reason it won't reach that RPM is the lack of power to accelerate/maintain the speed (stock setup).

I can reach 5100 in neutral (very very very little load) and in 1st (little load), but not 2nd or 3rd (and I'm assuming not 4th or 5th).

To test it...with a nice and warm engine, take it outta gear and floor it. It'll go to 5100 and stop.

matthewgb

TDI
2006 A5 . TDI . 5sp . Pk1. Platinum Grey (ON ORDER)
Yeah, i can confirm it cuts fuel injection in the 5100rpm neighborhood. I was having a little fun the otherday on the interstate and flew right past the redline and there was a well distinguised power reduction. This isn't something I would do on a regular basis.

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
One thing to keep in mind is that diesel fuel burns fairly slowly in the combustion chamber. That means the maximum RPM the engine will ever be able to turn (in neutral) is a limitation of the fuel. Therefore, there is no way to exceed the mechanical and structrual strength of the engine during some sort of malfunction. An improper downshift into 1st gear at 100MPH is another thing!

Chris

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
You guys are hitting the governor, warm engine-floor it in neutral and it will bump off the governor. no biggie.

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I clearly understand these engines are governed. What I meant to say was that in the event of a malfunction of the governing system. The engnne would not rev too high.

Chris

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Its done in the PCM, by fuel management..The PCM would just about have to have a meltdown...

Mach1 said:
You guys are hitting the governor, warm engine-floor it in neutral and it will bump off the governor. no biggie.

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
cujet said:
One thing to keep in mind is that diesel fuel burns fairly slowly in the combustion chamber. That means the maximum RPM the engine will ever be able to turn (in neutral) is a limitation of the fuel. Therefore, there is no way to exceed the mechanical and structrual strength of the engine during some sort of malfunction.
Chris
I have to disagree with this. Diesel may burn slowly, but 5100 is not the maxiumum rpm at which diesel can be burned. Beyond 5100 you start to see incomplete combustion and smoke, but there's still plenty of oomf left to take the engine past 5100 rpms. There's just little way you can fool the injectors and fuel pump to provide fuel past 5100 rpm.

This makes diesel fueled engine runaways very very very rare. I know I haven't heard of any before. Oil fueled runaways are another thing altogether.

For those who don't know: Oil fueled runaways can happen when a turbo or turbo seal gives out. This usually dumps considerable abounts of oil into the intake, which gets carried with the intake air into the cylinders, and burned through the normal dieseling process. This happens in an uncontrolled manner (nothing the EEC can do cause the fuel system isn't in control) so the engine will quickly race beyond 5100 rpms destroying the engine. The only way to stop a run away while in progress is to dump the clutch, ride the brake, and stall out the motor. I'm not sure what you do with in a automatic (anti-shutter valve maybe?).

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
My plan is to turn the key off and hope for the best if I have a run away with the auto...not much a of a plan but there isn't much else to do aside from throw my toolbox out the back for an anchor :)

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Now that I though about it, as long as you havn't removed your EGR and antishutter valve, turning off the ignition should cut-off all air to the engine, and stop the runaway. You'll go thru fewer toolboxes that way.