High pitched whistle after blanking EGR

EG-MN

TDI
VW Polo 1.6TDI 6R
So I have a 2010 VW polo 1.6 tdi (75bhp) and I’ve recently Blanked the EGR pipe that connects to the throttle/intake with plates and from doing that it now has an insanely loud whistle when it builds boost at 1800rpm and upwards it will do it on deceleration aswell, it will only do it when the car is cold and then after about 30 seconds of driving it disappears? I’m positive it isn’t the plates themselves but if anyone has any ideas it will be much appreciated?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Did you forget to use a gasket?
100% with O.H.
Your blockoff job is leaking and probably done incorrectly. Maybe a bolt stripped out?
Why did you block it off?

EG-MN

TDI
VW Polo 1.6TDI 6R
Did you forget to use a gasket?
100% with O.H.
Your blockoff job is leaking and probably done incorrectly. Maybe a bolt stripped out?
Why did you block it off?
I’ve used gasket sealer and reason for blanking it is that Im going to clean my intake manifold this weekend and don’t want it to get filled with carbon again so blocked it off at the same time

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I’ve used gasket sealer and reason for blanking it is that Im going to clean my intake manifold this weekend and don’t want it to get filled with carbon again so blocked it off at the same time
2 things
How clogged is it?
Do NOT clean the intake unless you do both remove it from the head and spend the time to remove 99% of what is in the intake runners on the head. If you fail so do this. Your engine will have a high chance of epic fail when the new velocity of air takes a chunk of that coked up crud and wedges it into a valve and the piston and valve finally get to make love!
Its happend to enough owners that it's not worth the risk. Unless it's a massive clog like you cant even stick a few fingers I in the air way... it's fine. Your jot a stage 3+ so it wont matter. You will see 0 benefits for the time spent and materials.
If you do. Use a mirror and melted plastic spoons as picks and brushes. Make sure that the I take runner you are working on has its calve closed. Tjis means taking off the valve cover to confirm lobe orientation.suctions and air compressor and lots of solvents.
If its leaking past the valve... the valve is shot and your having more issues. If it does leak out then do an oil change.

2nd the low sulfer fuel we have now means you wknt have this issue. You will have much longer warmups and that means lower MPG.

Unless you used proper gaskets it's what is leaking. Use exhaust red rated gasket maker rtv with one time used crush gaskets or carbon graphite thick gaskets.

Imo egr and egc deletes are worthless harmful mods unless your going way beyond stage 4 like mods.

EG-MN

TDI
VW Polo 1.6TDI 6R
2 things
How clogged is it?
Do NOT clean the intake unless you do both remove it from the head and spend the time to remove 99% of what is in the intake runners on the head. If you fail so do this. Your engine will have a high chance of epic fail when the new velocity of air takes a chunk of that coked up crud and wedges it into a valve and the piston and valve finally get to make love!
Its happend to enough owners that it's not worth the risk. Unless it's a massive clog like you cant even stick a few fingers I in the air way... it's fine. Your jot a stage 3+ so it wont matter. You will see 0 benefits for the time spent and materials.
If you do. Use a mirror and melted plastic spoons as picks and brushes. Make sure that the I take runner you are working on has its calve closed. Tjis means taking off the valve cover to confirm lobe orientation.suctions and air compressor and lots of solvents.
If its leaking past the valve... the valve is shot and your having more issues. If it does leak out then do an oil change.

2nd the low sulfer fuel we have now means you wknt have this issue. You will have much longer warmups and that means lower MPG.

Unless you used proper gaskets it's what is leaking. Use exhaust red rated gasket maker rtv with one time used crush gaskets or carbon graphite thick gaskets.

Imo egr and egc deletes are worthless harmful mods unless your going way beyond stage 4 like mods.
I understand, is there anything u can do to these engines to make them better other than remap, exhaust, intake etc?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I understand, is there anything u can do to these engines to make them better other than remap, exhaust, intake etc?
IMO... learn to drive. Spend $30 to $40 bucks and go do autocross. (cones in a parking lot) you will learn your car has nothing to do with your slow time.
you will end up with getting better tires, then see what you need.
but to answer your question directly, yes. plenty to do. also exhaust mods are worthless until you put some serious money down on nozzles, turbo, clutch, and tune. if you do exhaust before that.. its a waste with out doing the rest. and for $3 grand (nearly the cost of the car... the mods i just listed make a car that has no business being a sports car, into a crappy sports car that is a blast to drive.
If you want a car that can do fun things, go spend 8 grand on just that... you could buy a used boxster that will outperform everything your TDI can do other than MPG for 10 grand... and seeing as it costs about 8 grand to get your car to that point (with the value of the car) its kinda pointless.
That being said... a souped up TDI with a nice performance suspension is 11/10 fun to autocross but even as a skilled driver, it still suckma hard at the job.

EG-MN

TDI
VW Polo 1.6TDI 6R
IMO... learn to drive. Spend $30 to $40 bucks and go do autocross. (cones in a parking lot) you will learn your car has nothing to do with your slow time.
you will end up with getting better tires, then see what you need.
but to answer your question directly, yes. plenty to do. also exhaust mods are worthless until you put some serious money down on nozzles, turbo, clutch, and tune. if you do exhaust before that.. its a waste with out doing the rest. and for $3 grand (nearly the cost of the car... the mods i just listed make a car that has no business being a sports car, into a crappy sports car that is a blast to drive.
If you want a car that can do fun things, go spend 8 grand on just that... you could buy a used boxster that will outperform everything your TDI can do other than MPG for 10 grand... and seeing as it costs about 8 grand to get your car to that point (with the value of the car) its kinda pointless.
That being said... a souped up TDI with a nice performance suspension is 11/10 fun to autocross but even as a skilled driver, it still suckma hard at the job.
Only reason I asked is because I’m already going to do a stage 1 with intake and exhaust I know the intake and exhaust won’t change anything as the stock airbox is good for 200bhp and the exhaust like u said don’t really do much except for sound nice unless your at stage 3 I’ve done more research than u think I have I’m just seeing if there’s anything else I haven’t found out. Only reason I’m not getting something quicker is because not everyone is earning close to £2000 or more so gotta make do with what u have

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only reason I asked is because I’m already going to do a stage 1 with intake and exhaust I know the intake and exhaust won’t change anything as the stock airbox is good for 200bhp and the exhaust like u said don’t really do much except for sound nice unless your at stage 3 I’ve done more research than u think I have I’m just seeing if there’s anything else I haven’t found out. Only reason I’m not getting something quicker is because not everyone is earning close to £2000 or more so gotta make do with what u have
fair enough. i would keep it sock and upgrade what goes bad. lots of people chose to upgrade an exhaust because the cost to do so is cheap vs a hard to find non existent OEM stuff.
If your on a budget... stick with "stage 2" so you can keep the stock turbo and clutch. those are the next 2 things that must be done for the next stage so to say.
forget the intake (assuming is a cold air cone filter or something) they do more harm than anything. If you are referring to the pd130/150 intake to get rid of the EGR... i understand and did the same.
i just had a CAT clogged up on my escape and it blew apart the EGR valve. and trust me when i say.. IT WAS A LOT OF PRESSURE.
but seriously consider this spring and summer doing some autocross like events. they aare cheap and you can do AS IS. you will stay in 2nd gear and its nearly no wear and tear on your car. its cheap and by far the best bang for your buck.

Once you start doing things like that you wont want to do them on the back roads anymore...

EG-MN

TDI
VW Polo 1.6TDI 6R
fair enough. i would keep it sock and upgrade what goes bad. lots of people chose to upgrade an exhaust because the cost to do so is cheap vs a hard to find non existent OEM stuff.
If your on a budget... stick with "stage 2" so you can keep the stock turbo and clutch. those are the next 2 things that must be done for the next stage so to say.
forget the intake (assuming is a cold air cone filter or something) they do more harm than anything. If you are referring to the pd130/150 intake to get rid of the EGR... i understand and did the same.
i just had a CAT clogged up on my escape and it blew apart the EGR valve. and trust me when i say.. IT WAS A LOT OF PRESSURE.
but seriously consider this spring and summer doing some autocross like events. they aare cheap and you can do AS IS. you will stay in 2nd gear and its nearly no wear and tear on your car. its cheap and by far the best bang for your buck.

Once you start doing things like that you wont want to do them on the back roads anymore...
Not 100% sure as to what intake manifold I have so to speak but I have a K and N cone filter that my mate bought for his BMW but never ended up fitting it so I was gonna use that and attempt to make a custom Pipe that leads to the front of the car instead of the back so it’s not sucking in the hot air from the engine was only really doing it for turbo sounds (same reason with the exhaust) I’m going to keep the stock exhaust in one piece so I can fit it when I come to sell it or do an MOT. I use my car on the road and will soon be getting a work van so the car will be used for fun and not much else, I didn’t have any intentions of using it in any sport events but could be an idea in the future

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not 100% sure as to what intake manifold I have so to speak but I have a K and N cone filter that my mate bought for his BMW but never ended up fitting it so I was gonna use that and attempt to make a custom Pipe that leads to the front of the car instead of the back so it’s not sucking in the hot air from the engine was only really doing it for turbo sounds (same reason with the exhaust) I’m going to keep the stock exhaust in one piece so I can fit it when I come to sell it or do an MOT. I use my car on the road and will soon be getting a work van so the car will be used for fun and not much else, I didn’t have any intentions of using it in any sport events but could be an idea in the future
The one that came on the car from the factory is a cold air intake. Do not install what you have. That filter will kill your MAF.
Autocross is not a sporting event. At least checknot out. It will make you a better driver.