High Pitch Sound

alpine4

TDI
2012 Audi A3
I own a 2012 A3 TDI which has developed a high pitch frequency under the motor on the driver side. Thought for sure it was fuel pump. Not so sure anymore. Anyone had this issue or know the cause?

Last edited:

WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Welcome to tdiclub Alpine. The folks here will take good care of you. If you don’t get a response here, might want to try to revive one of the old threads. The VW specific model sub-forums probably get more traffic and your issue probably isn’t Audi specific anyway.

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Welcome to the site. When does this happen? With engine running? Increase with engine rpm? While rolling? In park only or in R or D?

alpine4

TDI
2012 Audi A3
Welcome to the site. When does this happen? With engine running? Increase with engine rpm? While rolling? In park only or in R or D?
According to a thread I read on this forum the high pitch frequency is normal. Has something to do with ECU. Here what I found out. Need to worry less and drive more, is what one member said.

8. Q: Every time I turn off the engine I hear a soft, high-pitched whining sound from under the hood; it stops after about 30 seconds. Is this normal?
A: Yes. Opinions still differ regarding what's going on (the ECU is adjusting something in the engine), but we know that every '09 does it. My personal opinion is that this is your engine's way of saying "Weeeeeeeee! That was fun!" Its that kinda car. Update: a recent VW TSB ascribes this noise to the EGR valves: "After switching ignition off, the EGR system must go through an adaption of the valves to maintain calibration. These noises are considered normal...."