High mileage Q7's

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Anyone have 100 or 200k on there Q7. Curious what issues you might have had if any.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
About 110k miles on mine - no issues in the last 18 months other than replacing worn tires. Previous owner said he had to replace the turbo about a year before that ($3k CAD at Audi dealer). I don't have a full maintenance record for it.

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
2013 Q7 w 145k on the clock, had it since 115k and got the Emissions modification at 125k.

Just had the engine trans out at the dealer (covered under the emissions warranty) to fix rear main seal and oil pan leaks http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=501371. The TSB on the leaks existed before the emissions modification, but the extended emissions warranty now covers this +$8k job.

Had leaky oil cooler and power steering pump replaced while engine was out. Got a good look over the timing chain/guides and nothing looked worn.

Anybody have 200k on one yet?

Last edited:

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
My wife’s 2014 Q7 TDI has 210k miles.

We love it (obviously).

Got the fix at about 140k.

Got the DPF replaced under warranty at about 180k (right before the second “fix” that prevented un-necessary DPF codes ;)

EGR started leaking coolant in the valley around the same time so it was replaced under the warranty.

Oil cooler started leaking coolant after they fixed the EGR coolant leak and the tech compromised the glow plug harness causing a code for it.

Had to have Audi approve the oil cooler fix under warranty.

Dealer fixed the compromised glow plug connector on their dime since the tech knew it was his bad.

The coolant running down the front for so long fried the alternator so I replaced that myself (needed it done as we were leaving for Christmas vacation within 24 hours and the dealer said it would be a miracle for Audi to approve that under warranty even though it was caused by the EGR coolant leak). Expensive part and not fun to install - took me 2 hours this time, next time would be 1 hour - had to remove the sway bar to get to it but easier than the alternator on my ‘09 Jetta TDI).

Dealer was great as was Audi.

Luckily those things all happened about the same time so we had loaners for about a month. They have us a ‘19 Q7 gasser for most of the time. Newer tech (it was loaded with the traffic sign camera even). Not a fan of all the extra “smarts” in the cockpit.

Was really glad to get our TDI back!

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
They gave us a ‘19 Q7 gasser for most of the time. Newer tech (it was loaded with the traffic sign camera even). Not a fan of all the extra “smarts” in the cockpit. tThey have us a ‘19 Q7 gasser for most of the time. Newer tech (it was loaded with the traffic sign camera even). Not a fan of all the extra “smarts” in the cockpit.
Was really glad to get our TDI back!
Ours was at the dealer for a total of 6 weeks, had SQ5 and A7 loaner and it was nice to experience the newer interiors and tech. Sometimes more a distraction though....

Have your serviced your trans at all?

DrobKGB

TDI
2012 Q7 TDI
285k miles on 2012 Q7 TDI

I live in a "no emissions" state, so when the DPF clogged at 170k, I did a Malone Stage 2 and delete. Have done the injector seals twice, once at 150k, again recently. Oil cooler shot at 270k, EGR is clogged now, going to be doing an EGR Blockoff, swirl flap delete and straight downpipe in a few weeks.
Contemplating replacing the turbo while I'm in there as I'd rather not take it apart twice.

With current EGR issues, I'm getting 24ish MPG lifetime ave and 28ish on 60mph roads, 25ish on 70mph roads.
Standard brakes, tires etc.. although I did discover that upgrading to Brake Performance's slotted/drilled rotors has GREATLY improved brake pad life.
Replaced the drivers door window switch and the blower motor, but that's it on interior other than floormats.

My biggest gripe is I can't seem to keep windshield wipers on it more than 6 months. :D

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
2013 Q7 w 145k on the clock, had it since 115k and got the Emissions modification at 125k.

Just had the engine trans out at the dealer

Got a good look over the timing chain/guides and nothing looked worn.
Does your timing chain make a brief, slight noise at certain startup conditions?

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
Does your timing chain make a brief, slight noise at certain startup conditions?
Rattles on nearly every startup now. Sounds terrible but no one here has reported that rattle preceded failure...... yet.

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
I just looked at a 2011 with 106k on the meter today (is $20k for a rust free example a good price in this market?), so I am very interested in dependability and durability of the Q7 as well. DrobKGB, craigldavis, have you owned since new? If not, how long/ how many miles have you owned?

Also, call me crazy, but I am considering one of these as my primary tow vehicle. Nothing huge, 16 foot boat is the limit for now. Eventually a small travel trailer. Other than prices for repair/ maintenance, I'm not seeing a down side here. Is there one? Someone talk me out of it, I was just curious, honestly, now I'm in love...

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I am very interested in dependability and durability of the Q7 as well. DrobKGB, craigldavis, have you owned since new? If not, how long/ how many miles have you owned?
I think ours had 130K miles when we. Ought it and am About 260K miles now.

Do all my own work after EPA warranty ended.

Parts are more expensive than my MK5 TDI but that’s OK. It’s worth it to me. Had a Suburban and an Escalade before the Q7. Q7 wins hands down. Worth it. Love it.

notworthy maintenance:
Coolant leak in the valley (the v) under the intake - warranty

Post warranty:
Alternator (from coolant dripping on it for too long).
Lower front control arm (ball joint noisy).
Injector leak (replaced seal).

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
160,000 miles, just did oil change, fuel filter, and waiting for fill adapter to do trans fluid. Noticed rear main seal is leaking and the timing chains are making noise. No trans issues noted so far, just the 2 engine issues pending time to fix.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Picking up a 2013 Q7 TDI with 75k miles this weekend.. $23k . Felt like that was a good price for the miles. Every option except cooled seats.

Already have an appt for the following weekend to get it deleted and Malone tuned.

TDItis

TDI
2016 Audi A6 TDI
I'm considering a 2015 Q7 TDI with 110K miles on it. One owner, regular service, changed fuel filters every 20k. Original purchase June 2015 so three years or 10K miles left on the 10/120K warranty. Has NOT had the emissions modification done yet. Am I crazy to buy an Audi with 110K miles on it? I'd probably put on 6-8K miles a year. Just looking for some confidence, don't want everything to start falling apart after I buy.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Before I bought my A6 I did extensive research into it, apparently they use the same drive train as the A6-A8, and the Q5/7's and most people at least over at Audizine said they were pushing almost 300k no major drive train issues. As long as the diffs and trans get their fluid changed too, you'll be mostly investing in tires and brakes.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Have 2 2015 Q5's. Wife's has 63K and mine just turned 100k last week. Have had both of them for 2 years. The only things have been tires and oil changes except for my wife's needed an EGR controller under warranty last spring..

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Rattles on nearly every startup now. Sounds terrible but no one here has reported that rattle preceded failure...... yet.
Look at the VW Touaregs threads all over the web... If its a pre 2008, I think, it was this is a sign of immanent failure...

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
We bought a used 2014 Q7 with 148K miles in Feb. and now have 153K. P.O. had the emissions fix done. It recently started leaking coolant due to the dreaded oil cooler seal leak under the intake manifold. I've torn it all down and about to put it all back together. Drove to the Daytona 500 from Richmond and averaged 28MPG at 75-80 MPH on the trip. Love this car.