HIgh cost of Malone tune

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI with a standard transmission and want to increase power for towing my motorcycles and ATV. I'm not a mechanic so I've been reading on this forum and other forums to find out what methods would be best for increasing the power and torque of my vehicle.

Malone seems to be popular and I've read some good reviews on it, so I called the Malone dealer closest to me (in Berkley). What he told me is that the Malone 2.0 would richen the fuel mixture too much for my engine and instead he would recommend the Malone 1.5 tune. He quoted me a price of $524 for the Malone 1.5, but then added $120 for shipping and $150 for labor and $8 tax, bringing the total to $802. He also mentioned that it was a 4 day job.

This really seems excessive to me, so I'm just wondering if this is the going rate or if he's going a bit overboard. Also, I'm looking for any alternative suggestions for tunes in the Northern California area. I'm not hooked on Malone so would consider other tested tunes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stan

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
What you could do is to contact Matt-98ahu and Frankencar and see what they would charge.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
The problem is that with the new TDIs the ECU has to be removed and to do the upgrade, where in older TDIs it could be done with a simple interface connected to the OBD port. Hence the extra costs involved. Another thing you might consider is seeing if there's a dealer within driving distance and maybe make a road trip out of it. Or even better, take a few days, drive up to Vancouver, BC, and get the Man himself to do your tune! ;)

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem is that with the new TDIs the ECU has to be removed and to do the upgrade, where in older TDIs it could be done with a simple interface connected to the OBD port. Hence the extra costs involved. Another thing you might consider is seeing if there's a dealer within driving distance and maybe make a road trip out of it. Or even better, take a few days, drive up to Vancouver, BC, and get the Man himself to do your tune! ;)

Actually I'm going to be in Vancouver next week, but will be flying up there, so won't have the vehicle with me. Where in Vancouver is he located? I might at least be able to go by and talk with him.

Stan

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Actually I'm going to be in Vancouver next week, but will be flying up there, so won't have the vehicle with me. Where in Vancouver is he located? I might at least be able to go by and talk with him.

Stan

contact Jose at JSP, he is a Malone dealer. You can't find a more knowledgeable person in the fraser valley (IMHO). He is also a great guy to talk to

http://www.jsperformance.ca/

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From the description of the charges the OP posted, it sounds like the Malone dealer he spoke with is sending the ECU to someone else to be flashed, likely because he isn't capable of doing newer cars. As I posted earlier, the newest TDIs cannot be flashed through the OBD port.

Mark Malone doesn't actually have a shop. As bluesmoker posted, if you get in touch with Jose at JS Performance, he and Mark have worked together on numerous projects. Mark has a full-time job and a family with 2 children so to say he has his hands full is an understatement, but he still goes above and beyond as far as customer service. If you email him directly he may be able to answer your questions a bit better than the rest of us. :D

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
From the description of the charges the OP posted, it sounds like the Malone dealer he spoke with is sending the ECU to someone else to be flashed, likely because he isn't capable of doing newer cars. As I posted earlier, the newest TDIs cannot be flashed through the OBD port.

Mark Malone doesn't actually have a shop. As bluesmoker posted, if you get in touch with Jose at JS Performance, he and Mark have worked together on numerous projects. Mark has a full-time job and a family with 2 children so to say he has his hands full is an understatement, but he still goes above and beyond as far as customer service. If you email him directly he may be able to answer your questions a bit better than the rest of us. :D
Yup. The $120 they quoted for shipping is likely including $30+ for them to overnight the ECU to the person that's actually going to do the work, another $30+ for that person to ship it back to them, and then $30+ for them to ship it back to the OP.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealer said it would be a 4 day job if I brought the car in because he would overnight the ECU to get it flashed and have it overnighted back, so you're correct on that. But $30 shipping each way doesn't equate to $120 for shipping.

But I would still like to talk with someone about the difference between the Malone 1.5 and the 2.0. So far I've gotten conflicting information. I'll have to try calling Jose.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
The dealer said it would be a 4 day job if I brought the car in because he would overnight the ECU to get it flashed and have it overnighted back, so you're correct on that. But $30 shipping each way doesn't equate to $120 for shipping.

But I would still like to talk with someone about the difference between the Malone 1.5 and the 2.0. So far I've gotten conflicting information. I'll have to try calling Jose.

Mark wants to phase out the Stage 1.5 tune, enough time, tunes and experience have shown the Stage 2 tune is optimal.

scooter0067

TDI
I talked to that dealer to....same story. I also just bought a 2014 JSW DSG. I can take the ecu out and mail it myself and reinstall it. I guess the benefit of time and money is if thrtr is a problem during the install (codes ect..) they can fix it right there.

They also would only do a stage 1.5.....anything above that is not legal for road use.

Can you upgrade to stage 2 and otherwise keep the engine stock?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can someone explain to me what a DBF is ?
DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter

This is part of the newer "clean diesel" engine system that enables the CRD engine to emit nearly zero black smoke compared to the older diesel motors. Some of the tunes available on the market require the removal of the DPF (physically) as they remove it from the ECU's software. It is considered tampering with the car's emission equipment which is illegal and therefor not "street legal"

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Ed. Are they difficult to remove? If I have a Malone 2.0 tune can I remove the DPF (I am not a mechanic, but do minor work on my motorcycles, so I understand which end of a wrench to use).

Stan

whiteTDIpowa

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI (sold)
Been runing a malone stage 2 tune for 50,000kms now on my 2011 mk6 tdi, it was expensive but completly worth it, and the mod has paid for itself over and over now.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Ed. Are they difficult to remove? If I have a Malone 2.0 tune can I remove the DPF (I am not a mechanic, but do minor work on my motorcycles, so I understand which end of a wrench to use).

Stan
I'm not too familiar with the newer TDIs and their emissions and exhaust setups. My understanding is that it's part of the exhaust/muffler setup but I could be wrong. I think you're going to have to replace the stock muffler system with either a straight pipe or an aftermarket setup (a few companies make them, I'm sure you can search the Forums for names) but I can't say whether you'd be able to perform that yourself or not.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Been runing a malone stage 2 tune for 50,000kms now on my 2011 mk6 tdi, it was expensive but completly worth it, and the mod has paid for itself over and over now.
How exactly is this? Even at 20 mpg increase it has not even paid for itself yet in parts over 31,000 miles

Last edited:

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Ed, I'll continue to research through the forums and will eventually figure this out.

Stan

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Come on up to Portland, we have customers drive 500+ miles all the time for tunes. Best thing is to give us a ring and we can set things up from there. Stage 1, 1.5 or 2, no problem - and we can do it while you wait!
Happy face while driving home :)
Cheers,
-BB

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
Mark wants to phase out the Stage 1.5 tune, enough time, tunes and experience have shown the Stage 2 tune is optimal.

What about people who have / want to keep dpf and live in hot climates, but want more than stage 1? Phasing out 1.5 doesn't make sense....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
I have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI with a standard transmission and want to increase power for towing my motorcycles and ATV. I'm not a mechanic so I've been reading on this forum and other forums to find out what methods would be best for increasing the power and torque of my vehicle.
Malone seems to be popular and I've read some good reviews on it, so I called the Malone dealer closest to me (in Berkley). What he told me is that the Malone 2.0 would richen the fuel mixture too much for my engine and instead he would recommend the Malone 1.5 tune. He quoted me a price of $524 for the Malone 1.5, but then added $120 for shipping and $150 for labor and $8 tax, bringing the total to $802. He also mentioned that it was a 4 day job.
This really seems excessive to me, so I'm just wondering if this is the going rate or if he's going a bit overboard. Also, I'm looking for any alternative suggestions for tunes in the Northern California area. I'm not hooked on Malone so would consider other tested tunes.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Stan
Hi Stan,
We are a Malone dealer as well as Kerma TDI. You do need to pull the ECU and send it to Malone or Kerma (whomever you choose) for them to program the computer. We would just charge you an hour labor to pull the ECU and reinstall ($110), retail on the tune you want (Malone has different choices ranging from $499-549 and Kerma is $699 stating 30hp and 58lbs torque) and shipping. If we overnight the ECU it would be about $45 through USPS (priority express), and then whatever Malone or Kerma charge for return shipping. And there wouldn't be any tax...There is only labor no parts.
If you have any questions feel free to give us a call.
Thanks!

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
What about people who have / want to keep dpf and live in hot climates, but want more than stage 1? Phasing out 1.5 doesn't make sense....

No longer a concern, tune has been refined and there's been enough data/time/testing, your normal driving conditions are a much bigger factor.

Kevinski4

TDI
I talked to that dealer to....same story. I also just bought a 2014 JSW DSG. I can take the ecu out and mail it myself and reinstall it. I guess the benefit of time and money is if thrtr is a problem during the install (codes ect..) they can fix it right there.

They also would only do a stage 1.5.....anything above that is not legal for road use.

Can you upgrade to stage 2 and otherwise keep the engine stock?
Sounds like someone would be better served as a WalMart greeter than a Malone dealer....

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
No longer a concern, tune has been refined and there's been enough data/time/testing, your normal driving conditions are a much bigger factor.

This disclaimer is still on the site for stage 2

"* DPF removal is recommended to reduce EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) in warmer climates. Only for use in areas where emissions laws are not applicable. Modified emission control systems are illegal on most public roads."

That's why I was asking.

BuzzKen

TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
How exactly is this? Even at 20 mpg increase it has not even paid for itself yet in parts over 31,000 miles

You're not factoring in the price of replacement blown turbos and emissions parts. (Not that it ever happens.....:rolleyes:)