HID power issue reset

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I just had added a digital HID kit. Soon after when i start the car it resets the trip meter and the clock. Its not every time i start the car. It seems to me that if i let it warm up the glow plugs first it gives it enough time to start up the HID lights and then i start the car that it dose not reset. It also seems to me that the draw on the battery, which is in perfect shape and fairly new, from the starter and HID starting up that its enough to drain the system for just a second and reset the clock and trip meter. As if i had pulled the fuse for the instrument cluster.
98 jetta MK3 TDI.

has anyone had issues like this, Is there a way to fix the issue?
I was thinking that if this was the issue that i might just integrate a timer into the start up of the lights so that lets say 10 seconds after key is turned then the lights would come on.
Thoughts?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I just had added a digital HID kit. Soon after when i start the car it resets the trip meter and the clock. Its not every time i start the car. It seems to me that if i let it warm up the glow plugs first it gives it enough time to start up the HID lights and then i start the car that it dose not reset. It also seems to me that the draw on the battery, which is in perfect shape and fairly new, from the starter and HID starting up that its enough to drain the system for just a second and reset the clock and trip meter. As if i had pulled the fuse for the instrument cluster.
98 jetta MK3 TDI.

has anyone had issues like this, Is there a way to fix the issue?
I was thinking that if this was the issue that i might just integrate a timer into the start up of the lights so that lets say 10 seconds after key is turned then the lights would come on.
Thoughts?
Did you run the setup using a relay or did you just plug them in?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=163

The wiring harness connects to the battery and it has a connection for the headlight to plug into for it to switch on. Its all plug and play. aside from this issue its a great setup. So no relay was added, unless there is one in that harness, i don't think there is.

I also have figured it out. It only dose this when the lights are cold started. When they draw enough amps from the battery.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=163

The wiring harness connects to the battery and it has a connection for the headlight to plug into for it to switch on. Its all plug and play. aside from this issue its a great setup. So no relay was added, unless there is one in that harness, i don't think there is.

I also have figured it out. It only dose this when the lights are cold started. When they draw enough amps from the battery.
You should use a relay harness. It eliminates voltage spikes. You can buy them on ebay for your application (very cheap and simple to add). I added a relay to run my HID kit in my 1998 Jetta and can walk you through it if you desire......

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm looking at these harnesses and they look identical to the one that came with the lights. Fairly sure that the harness i have includes a relay.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Yes please. help me know how to do this.
Simple relay kit on the right from ebay and a standard HID kit on the left. Cost for the relay kit is less then $15 shipped on ebay.

The above relay kit has two compression fittings for your HID ballast.

On the below picture is the connection of the relay to your existing light harness plug (it only has one such connection as that is all that is needed):

Here is how the compression plug fits from the relay harness to your ballast (again, the relay harness has 2 of these plugs for each ballast). The relay harness has a connection for a battery terminal and an inline fuse. You also have a negative ground to the metal bolt of your choice. The whole setup is simple.

I installed the relay itself with a simple bolt and connected the positive connection as shown in the below picture:

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes Now i am 100% sure that i do have a relay. The kit i got included that.

I think i figured it out that if i keep the hand brake up that the lights can not fire up until the engine is running. this seems to have eliminated the problem for now. Still testing it.
Not a permanent solution but for now it will work until i can correct the problem.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I had the same issue with my BMW motorcycle when I put an HID headlight on it.

In my case, the problem was NOT caused by too much current draw. It was caused by radio-frequency interference that is released when the bulb is cold-started.

When an HID bulb is cold, the ballast gives a 20,000 volt blast of A/C current to start an electric arc in the bulb. This also releases a lot of RF interference, which can mess up other nearby electronics. This is only done if the bulb is cold, otherwise they usually run at around 85 volts, and not as much RF is generated. You've probably heard the term "electromagnetic pulse." That's what this is.

In my case, I had the output wires from the ballast routed very close to the rider information display on my motorcycle. Turning on the light would nuke the electronics in the display. I'd lose my temperature, fuel, and clock. They would go blank, or sometimes display garbled information, and wouldn't work again until I pulled the fuse for a few seconds.

Moving the wires about six inches away from the information display solved the problem. Hasn't happened since. This is a well documented problem with HID lights on BMW motorcycles. You should be able to find it on any number of motorcycle forums.

So, I believe what you'll need to do is either re-route the wiring that goes from the ballast to the bulb, possibly the power supply wiring going to the ballast, or maybe shield it with foil. Or maybe some other RF noise suppression thing. I'm not an electronics expert, but I think that can be done with "ferrite bead" installed on the wires. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

It might also be possible to suppress RF noise with a capacitor on the 12V wires supplying power to the ballast...but I wouldn't know what type, size, or exactly how to install it (in series? paralell? who knows?)... Maybe someone else can help you there.

In any event, I believe your problem is RF noise, not current draw.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I'll be, i would have never thought of that but it makes total sense.
Its more likely seeing as this problem is almost at random. I will have to wait for a cool morning to test this better but i will take a look and see what i can do.