Hi , fuel pump disabled — reprogram key?

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
A disreputable shop, after holding my 97 Passat for a very long time lost the key and Banjo fob programmed to the 98 VW auto door lock system I had installed. It is now my problem for their incompetence. I just want my car back and running.From what I can tell, the fuel pump is disabled and the car won’t start.

what can I do? I removed the auto door lock and jumped the system, with no luck.

Thanks for the help!

volksguy

Veteran Member
Check if the fuel cut off clicks when you put the key in to the start position. If not
Take a jumper wire from + plus battery side to the fuel cut off on the end of the pump should click open so it will start when cracked.
It could be working too and pump could have lost its prime look for air bubbles in the Return line
As far as i know there is no immobilizer in this year if its from north America.
If its European key on its possible jump the shut off valve and starter could start it. Ju

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
The door lock system was factory, not available as standard on our B4s. It was plug and play with two banjo remotes. I tried filling the fuel filter with Diesel Purge, but it is not getting to the engine. “Fuel cut off at the end of the pump”? Not sure what that means.
The glow plug indicator light is coming on for a couple seconds, then going off, indicating that it is not a bad N95 relay?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have the A3 remote door lock setup as well. You can have an ignition switch cut from your door handle lock pretty easily. You can also reprogram new fobs to match your existing remote door lock.

There is only one fuel shutoff on the pump but there is a check valve that’s caused issues for me before. It’s at the end of the fuel return, where the hose attaches to the pump again.

My recommendation is to hang a fuel can by gravity to the pump, jumper the fuel shutoff, and try to start it.

But I’m unsure exactly what you’re asking. Can you clarify?

The car cranks but does not start?
Do you have a VCDS? Codes?
It could be the ignition switch, it could be the crank position sensor, or it could not be getting fuel if the system is dry.

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Thanks abacus.

The engine cranks normally but does not start. I thought if the fuel filter was full, it would start even if there was air in the line. I won’t worry about key coding.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That car's ECU doesn't care about the key. The fact that you upgraded to the '98/99 Jetta unit with the fobs has nothing to do with your "cranks-won't-start" problem.

Check the engine data to see that the ECU sees cranking RPMs. If it does, then the next thing would be you have a loss of fuel prime.

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Thanks, question if the key is on position, would the fuel pump have voltage at the pump? Working? What wires do I check?

volksguy

Veteran Member
The Fuel Cut Solenoid is at the end of the Injection Pump Right above the hard lines out of the pump.
Run a Jumper from Battery + to it you should hear it click open when power is applyed.
Jump the starter Solenoid to crank it .
Same time see if it starts.
This would by pass any alarm system
Keeping it from starting if thats the problem.