Hey, that smells like alcohol!!!

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Does anybody know why my windshield solvent smells like alcohol? Maybe it is.. I know, I know, but is it a mixture that the dealer put in before they delivered it to me??? I haven't added anything to it and it is all original fluid... I just would like to know if it is a "brand" name fluid, who makes it and where can I get some??? (It helps on long journeys if you're tired... the smell helps to keep you awake!) Later!

Mike in Michigan

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
the stuff I have been using is the 99 cent Meijer fluid or if i need some and don't want to fight the acre of funky people trying to buy stuff they don't need I get it at the Ithaca Amoco 1.19-1.59 depending if it is on sale or not.

methanol and glycerol I think is what is in it.

Works well, smells the same as the original stuff, distinctive.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
The stuff that came in my 2001 Jetta has a lemony fragrance added. Smells like dishwashing liquid.

So far, I'm not impressed with its ability to remove the remains of insects that didn't get out of the way in time.

------------------
GotDiesel? (Diesel... It does a body good.)

2001 Jetta GLS TDI Green/Black leather, 5-speed, the works.
1966 Cessna 150

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Mr. GotDiesel... My only smells like rubbing alcohol. And the smell is VERY strong! Lemony smells would be nice, but the alcohol reminds me of smelling salts... it's kind of a pick-me-up in the morning on the way to work...

S

SkyPup

Most windshield wiper solvents contain either methy, ethyl, propyl or isopropyl alcohols. The smell of each is rather distinctive.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
PowerHound...

I pretty much have deduced that the alcohol-ish liquids in the wiper solvent are for cleaning and antifreeze purposes. But what I need to know is if VW or the dealer added this to a solvent, of what brand I do not know, or is this a particular solvent that I can buy from either from a.) the dealer, or b.) some other parts-goodies store... thanks for the input, though.

-Mike

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I'm gonna stop by Williams today on the way home from work, I'll ask one of the guys if they can tell me about the "special" VW washer fluid. . . .

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The alcohols are in there for cleaning and antifreeze.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

think diesel

Veteran Member
There is a mystery smell associated with VW washer fluid. Some people say alcohol-- others think it smells like modeling glue. I can't figure it out, but I smelled it too, and too many other people do for it to be imagination.

Let us know if your wipers start streaking instead of wiping too. I think there is some kind of connection there but I'm not sure what it is.

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Try the VW "Rain Repellent" washer fluid. Comes in a 2-quart container that you dilute 2:1. Costs about the same as regular washer fluid.

It really works. Causes rain to bead up on the window and roll away. Makes the wipers have to do less work to get the window clean.

As for the regular stuff? Methanol is the chief ingredient besides water. There's some blue dye in there, a mild detergent, and maybe a bit of ethanol. The summer bug removal fluid (the red stuff) has a mild detergent and glycerin. It's 90% water. That's what you're buying.

Henry