Hey, another tires thread!

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
So I'm still kinda going through tires right now because 300-325 ft*lbs of torque is addictive :D. With that said, I'd like to hear others' opinions on street tires used in normal daily driving and spirited driving.

The last three tires I've had are:
  • Yokohama Avid Envigor
  • Goodyear Eagle Sport
  • Continental TrueContact

With the latter being what is currently on the car. I took advantage of Tire Rack's live chat and posed the question to them and they suggested the General Altimax RT43. Thanks for chiming in!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What sort of tread life are you hoping for?

We can recommend tires all day long that will hold the corners and plant the torque, but they will be a soft tire and will wear out in 15k miles.

Or we can recommend a harder compound tire for longer life, but you wont have as much grip in the twisties and hard starts.

Oh, and what size?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I currently run a 15" and though I've settled on a 195/60-15, I'm open to adjusting.

I think it's best described as moderate cornering performance at worst. The TrueContact tires are a really good all around. Unlike the previous two, when these tires break free in a straight line, you don't really notice it and you don't know when slip stops. In the corners the tire is noisy even in a low speed <15 turn.

Straight line while moving is where my torque application usually is. The noisiest tire I had that lasted a long while but can't test again were Kuhmo Ecsta (LX?) Platinums and I abused the cornering out of those.

If possible, if I can avoid breaking free in 3rd on asphalt, that'd be nice, but I know I'm asking a lot. Don't know where the balance is.

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
i run Hankooks i got on sale at walmat like $60 each. they corner decently. 70k mile tread rating and pretty good speed rating. in the triple digits car rides smoother than my buddy's 350z :p 195/65/r15 though

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
on the jetta i run 195-70-15 snows and love the profile. They raise the car and fill out the wheel well nicely.

I've been tickled pink with nokian nTyre 2.0 on the Passat not sure if they are a performance tire but more of a grand touring tire that was priced right well worth a look at.

garreth5

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
I'm a proponent for having summer tires to enjoy spirited driving and a set of winter dedicated tires if you live in the snow/ice belt. This will cost you more but will be worth it in the long run. All-season tires can be good in dry, wet and snow but not the best.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
It's never really winter and hardly ever rains where I live so I run UHP Summer tires year round on all my cars.

I am currently running GTRadial UHP1's on my MK6 Jetta and am super happy with them at less than $300 for the whole set! I run Dunlop Star Specs on my weekend car. The GTRadials are almost as good and 1/3 the cost.

I have Dunlop DZ101's on my wifes Jetta... they are just meh. I wouldn't buy them again. They aren't bad, but there are better tires out there.

Sumitomo ZIII's are another very good inexpensive summer tire. They do get greasy if you drive really hard on them but they are quite good on the street.

The Hankook Ventus tires have a huge following in the high performance all season category, I know a lot of guys who really like them.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
If you're putting that much torque to the wheels, you should probably look at wider tires. Maybe try 215/60-R15.

That said, I traded up to 17x7" wheels with 215/45-R17 tires, and the performance improvement was noticeable. Not only did I get stiffer sidewalls and wider tread, but I went from all-season tires to UHP summer tires.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
It's never really winter and hardly ever rains where I live so I run UHP Summer tires year round on all my cars.

I am currently running GTRadial UHP1's on my MK6 Jetta and am super happy with them at less than $300 for the whole set! I run Dunlop Star Specs on my weekend car. The GTRadials are almost as good and 1/3 the cost.

I have Dunlop DZ101's on my wifes Jetta... they are just meh. I wouldn't buy them again. They aren't bad, but there are better tires out there.

Sumitomo ZIII's are another very good inexpensive summer tire. They do get greasy if you drive really hard on them but they are quite good on the street.

The Hankook Ventus tires have a huge following in the high performance all season category, I know a lot of guys who really like them.

Indeed good sir. The Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 is what I run. I routinely take corners at high speeds (60-80 mph) and have yet to make them squeal in a straight line. Good tire. But only 50k mile warranty. What can you expect from a performance tire though. 50k ain't bad.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, early on I determined that 15" wheel gave me the best band-for-buck tire selection. The front end is up in the air and I know other B4 owners have played with wider tires so I guess it's time to look at the market to see what things look at again.

If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. I have 6 months anyhow before I need to replace these guys, hopefully.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Michelin pilot sport, or if you want a bit more comfort, the michelin primacy. But you will need 16 inch wheels for both.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I just finished culling Tire Rack for their selection of tire sizes looking to see if wider tires are available for what might fit the B4. Also bumped from that Miata tire size calculator to this guy. My B4 has been running 195/60-15's most of its life and I & others have never rubbed with this size.

Code:
Tire Size	Selection Count
205/55-15	1
205/60-15	37
215/50-16	1
225/50-16	60
215/45-17	96
Methinks going to a 17" would harshen the ride too much and the 225/50 might rub, thouh the selection of tires is fairly good. The difference between my current tire and the 225/50-16 is as follows:

Thoughts?

jprine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 GLS Golf TDI, 04 R32, 05 Passat Wagon TDI
Not sure on your B4 - Curious what 17in wheels you would use on it? something oem i hope :)
Just went though similar thing with my A4 deciding on tires. Was looking for more width, and a little more height (Chicago has really tall curbs) - Would have liked 16s, 17s are bit too big to me with all the potholes around me, plus i drive crazy. Ended up with 225/60r15 (stock 195/65r15) and I am happy. When I turn almost full lock it does rub slightly on inner wheel liner. I was spinning the tires way too much and I can barely break them loose now, small increase in height was nice also. I have 38/42psi in them and still slightly bouncy though.

Those RT43 are supposed to be nice, I almost ended up with them - comes in odd sizes too.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
DC,

How long have you had the TrueContact tires? Don't think you had them more than 18 months - How many miles have you run them? And 6 more months of driving will get you to how many miles?

It would also be good to know how many miles you get out of the last 3 tires you mentioned near the first post?

I run Kumho Solus tires on my Comanche - they offer 80K mile rating. But, they do not deliver. Still, they are a semi decent cheap tire.

For the B4, I like the Michelin 15 inch tires. But I do not drive as hard as you. They worked well on my last trip on up Mt. Wilson. I did not hold up any of the sports cars!

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
I'm running a 205/50 r15 on my car and it's lowered on neuspeed springs with no rub, I have a Kuhio ecsta pa31 and they were not bad they were noisy but pretty good all around tires. My next set will be a Kuhmo v720 I'm interested in there grip vs. Life span

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DC,

How long have you had the TrueContact tires? Don't think you had them more than 18 months - How many miles have you run them? And 6 more months of driving will get you to how many miles?

It would also be good to know how many miles you get out of the last 3 tires you mentioned near the first post?

I run Kumho Solus tires on my Comanche - they offer 80K mile rating. But, they do not deliver. Still, they are a semi decent cheap tire.

For the B4, I like the Michelin 15 inch tires. But I do not drive as hard as you. They worked well on my last trip on up Mt. Wilson. I did not hold up any of the sports cars!
TrueContact, yes. I always have to double check because there is also the PureContact and there is one letter difference between the two ;). I have almost 35K miles on them, though I'll have to check the receipt for when they were installed to verify. Depending on how aggressive I am with them, 6 months is about the minimum time I have on them. Once everything comes together with the current work I'm doing, I will be pulling logs and tests and 3rd gear pulls use the asphalt as sandpaper to the tires.

My jets are cooling down after a couple of years, but I'd feel more comfortable with the tires staying on the round if the power is used. I guess I can try another round of 15" before committing to another wheel change?
I'm running a 205/50 r15 on my car and it's lowered on neuspeed springs with no rub, I have a Kuhio ecsta pa31 and they were not bad they were noisy but pretty good all around tires. My next set will be a Kuhmo v720 I'm interested in there grip vs. Life span
205/50-15 shouldn't be an issue with I'm on 195/60-15. That and 5 mm width increase isn't much of a concern from what I measured. How are teh PA31's? Those came up as an option.

jprine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 GLS Golf TDI, 04 R32, 05 Passat Wagon TDI
The taller the curb the more sidewall you want.
I was looking for lift more than anything, around the loop they are so tall you can't open the passenger door on non-lowered cars. Try telling your wife/gf she has to climb over the center console or quick get out in traffic before you pull in. Its one reason everyone has a SUV here.

A few streets everybody has to park half up the curb because the streets are too narrow, they have posted signs. I do it all the time thats why I was saying 17s would be out of the question for me.

Last edited:

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
The pa31s have been good in all weather so far I drive my car pretty spiritedly and they are not lasting as long as I'd liked, I have about 30-35k on them and they are down to 4-5/32 left on them but no signs of dry rot even after the heavy dosing of tire shine it gets. However like I said they are quite noisy, I figured if I was only going to get a season out of my tires I may as well get a sticky set to try next.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm bumping my thread here. I was under the assumption that the stated tread width was more or a rule than a guideline. I went through 32 different size combinations and though I only polled TireRack, I was surprised to find that there can be quite a deviation from the specified tread width and the actual tread width. Well, between the start of this thread and now, I compiled 63 tires and have it whittled down to 9 tires, 7 models, and 4 sizes.

My current tire is 24.2" in diameter when new and 8" wide with a 6" tread width on a 6"-wide rim. Because I'm running a 7"-wide rim, my cornering capabilities were compromised and tire wear corroborates this. For the least expense, I'm going to stay with a 15" rim which gives me either of the following to choose from:
Dunlop Direzza DX102, 460AA, 205/55R15
Kumho Ecsta PS31, 400 AA, 205/55R15

They both are designed for a 6.5" rim so they will give me an estimated 7.4-7.6" tread width. Both are relatively new and similar in the results, but our roads and traffic mean I need to be careful when it rains so I'm going to try out the PS31s first it seems.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I like my Nokian entyre with 700 tread wear rating a lot. They last 70k miles and have great traction.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
215/55/17 and I drive a lot of highway and city and back road spirited driving. They are a great tire. I'm on my second set and will continue to stick with them. They are great in the rain too.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stock Golf? I never would've considered the tire since they don't list thread width. Doesn't mean that they aren't good tires, just harder to compare empirically.

Mike_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
It is an apples to oranges comparison but I ran the General Altimax that you mentioned in an 195/70/14 on a '85 300D for about 30k miles before I sold it. For the money I thought that they were good tires. I didn't notice much tread wear at that point.

I have toyo proxes tires on my jetta in a 225/45/17 that hold 320ft/lbs quite well. They do fairly well in the rain and have gotten me through that last few snow storms ok. Tread wear looks reasonable at about 35k miles so far. That being said I will likely look at a different all-season "performance" tire when these wear out.