Hevster1 Grand reopening RE-OPENING NEW LOCATION! Montague NJ!

galeyboy1

TDI
02 vw jetta tdi, 5 spd
what do you charge for a timing belt kit including water pump and check timing? my ride is 2002 jetta tdi. I'm getting roudh starts and white smoke until engine warms up, then runs great

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Thanks, Mike!!

We had transmission problems yesterday while in NY. I had the gut feeling that the tranny was pooched. Called Mike, told him the symptoms, and he confirmed my fears. I was able to limp the car to his shop, 100 miles away, stuck in 3rd gear. Mike arranged a rental car for us and we will have a new, VW rebuilt, transmission next week. Thank you, thank you!

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
As of today I have obtained access to numerous lines of accessories for all cars. I would need you to come up here and pick up any order but I urge you to give me a yell or better yet, e-mail me for pricing.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
4 Sets of Konis sold/installed in the past 2 weeks including a FSD/Eibach pro kit. I also sold 2 sets of KYB's for Toyota. I wish Koni made the STR-t for more vehicles.
I am also in the process of installing a Lift Kit in a 91 Cherokee for a longtime TDI customer. Lots of crazy things going on here!

VDubdiesel2000

TDI
2000 Jetta Tdi
Do you do timing belts. I am over due for a timing belt and dont want to do it myself due to the cost and time needed. Its a 2000 tdi 1.9t. can you give me a quote. if you dont do it, do you know a good shop in jersey to do a timing belt.

just saw previous post that said $775 --- is that still the going rate?

silverstick

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS (160K miles), and '05 Jetta GLS wagon (120K)
He has installed two for me so far -- one on each of our TDIs. (Your 2000 is essentially the same as our 2002.) I hope he installs several more on each car. My only concern is that he keeps the cars in such good running order that they may outlast me. And him.

If you know you're overdue for a TB, you probably also know what thin ice you're skating on.

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
Mike, what would it cost to do a head gasket change? I'm bringing my Beetle to the dealer to get a pressure test and see if something is wrong with the head gasket but I suspect that at full boost it's just lifting the head and I'm loosing coolant on full boost (that's almost 30 psi for me). I ordered some ARP head studs so if the gasket is fine I'll just change the studs but if the gasket is bad then I'll have to change both. When driving normally and not boosting high I don't lose any coolant at all but when I boost to near 30 it seems the coolant wants to leave the car.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Do you do timing belts. I am over due for a timing belt and dont want to do it myself due to the cost and time needed. Its a 2000 tdi 1.9t. can you give me a quote. if you dont do it, do you know a good shop in jersey to do a timing belt.

just saw previous post that said $775 --- is that still the going rate?
Yes, 775.00 + tax. best way to get me is by phone-973-293-8588 or e-mail-mmautcyc1@gmail.com. I don't get here as much as I used to because I am very busy.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Mike, what would it cost to do a head gasket change? I'm bringing my Beetle to the dealer to get a pressure test and see if something is wrong with the head gasket but I suspect that at full boost it's just lifting the head and I'm loosing coolant on full boost (that's almost 30 psi for me). I ordered some ARP head studs so if the gasket is fine I'll just change the studs but if the gasket is bad then I'll have to change both. When driving normally and not boosting high I don't lose any coolant at all but when I boost to near 30 it seems the coolant wants to leave the car.
You should do the gasket anyway. I don't agree with the "just replace the bolts with studs" approach. It might work for a little while but only for a little while. You also run the risk of warping the head. Pricing is about 750.00 complete including gaskets and seals. This also includes cleaning your ports and intake if necessary.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Just a reminder to my customers. If you drop off a car either via a tow or otherwise, please leave at least a note where you can be reached and what problems you are having. Do not just assume I will remember everything we talked about including your number. I currently have 2 vehicles here that were towed in after hours and I have no idea who they belong to. For one I do not even have a key.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
No Gary, not yours of course. The owner with no key finally showed up yesterday asking if we had found what was wrong. Turns out we were recommended by a customer and he brought it over. When I pointed out we had no key, he asked if we were still able to go over the car without it. Uh, no.

I also have been having a ton of batteries fail of late on all kinds of cars. It's time to check them out and make sure they are ok. I normally do this with an oil change or other service.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Time for an update. I am investing in some new equipment which MAY give me capability to clean a DPF in house. It looks quite interesting but it remains to be seen how effective it will be.
Even though we had some snow yesterday, spring is here. With that I am seeing the typical "get your A/C serviced or A/C tune up" ads popping up all over the place. Remember this; A/C systems are sealed. If it isn't performing properly, there is a problem which looking at it and maybe cleaning the condenser will not solve. We normally clean condensers in the spring with an oil change free of charge. We also clean your condenser if we repair the unit. In my opinion it it a waste of money but if you want to spend 100 bucks or so for nothing, be my guest.
There are currently at least 6 tire manufacturers running rebates including:
Bridgestone
Falken
Kumho
Goodyear
Michelin
Hankook
There may be more now and in the near future.

As many here know, Koni's are on sale. I will match or beat ANY advertised Koni Price including shipping for anyone who purchases from me, installed or not. In general, I can match or beat anyone's price on just about anything. Bear in mind you need to come here and pick the items up. I do not have time to ship things out.

Last edited:

DCdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Mike came through on a loooong Saturday for me yet again. Constantly puts everyone before himself. A truly selfless, honest to a fault type of guy. Glad to know ya buddy, Thanks again.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Thanks for the kind words Cody. Continental has a promo now for 4 tires over 499.00 you get 2 free hotel nights at a Marriot.

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
Mike, I left you a message on your shop phone regarding a condenser for a 97 Passat and hopefully my new TDI mechanic. I read all 471 posts here and I am very impressed with all the reviews and feedback. Please get back to me by PM or my cell number on your answering machine. Thanks, Rune

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Now that it's getting hot.... Should mention that mike has some tricks up his sleeve to make your AC system perform better than new

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

silverstick

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS (160K miles), and '05 Jetta GLS wagon (120K)
Mike, the '02 seems to have better boost after you changed out the vacuum hoses. My imagination?

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Michelin has a new tire, the premier. From what I understand it will eventually replace the Primacy.
I have been selling quite a few Conti Pure contacts lately. Nice tire which every one seems to love.