Hesitation or Surging CR140

HRC-E.B.

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT
Has anyone experienced hesitation/surging issue with their CR 2.0 TDI (140).

I didn't notice that with mine initially, but it seems to occur somewhat often now, if I happen to drive at more or less constant speed in 3rd gear at anywhere between 1700-2200 rpm or accelerate smoothly at part throttle from those revs, the car would either respond erratically to throttle input or there is a sort of hesitation or a bit of surging when I keep the throttle steady at part throttle.

Is this normal or a symptom of any problems? The car is still fairly new (2012) with about 4000 miles on it, manual transmission.

jimsiders

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I have a 2012 MKVI also, and I've also noticed some surging at certain throttle positions in third gear.

I've been chalking it up to the engine computer trying to figure out whether I'm about to accelerate (based on RPM, throttle position, and speed) and starting to spin up the turbo in advance based on its prediction.

I also have a hunch that the gear ratio chosen by the designers for third gear in our cars can contribute to this: I find myself solidly in the max torque RPM range pretty much all the time when I'm using Third, so it's easy for a tiny movement of the throttle to get the turbo involved.

Maybe I'm just trying to pretend there isn't an issue with my turbo? :-/

jim