Here's your stripped car test case folks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The language in the lawsuit is pretty clear, if there were stipulations they would have had to have stated all of the conditions in writing, I doubt they would have any legal grounds to reject his buyback
Issues of "legal grounds" are ultimately decided by judges in courtrooms. You think the class action guys will go to bat for this guy if he is rejected? I doubt it.

Bad facts make bad law. This guy, in addition to screwing up his own buyback, presents facts so outlandish that the precedent he creates could adversely affect others who may do far less.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This thread is a good example of how far things have degenerated since the glory days of Threadzilla........

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
OMG he's giving them the washer fluid, reservoir and pump, thats good money right there!

love it.

Just curious if the local junkyards would do the same and give me $1000-1500 for their troubles.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
This car if I read it right, was a 2015 model..... So chances are if there ever is a fix, this car would be one of the ones to get it. Not to mention the low miles.

So right or wrong, and not that it makes it less right or more wrong, but stripping a low miles 2015 model verses stripping a high miles 09 model ( that IS very likely to get crushed ) is surely more wrong as far as hurting VW goes.

Myself I could care less. If he gets to turn in his car today and gets his money today, awesome.

I will say that there is a chance he doesn't get his money. And I will also say there is a chance that no matter if he gets the money or not, a car this stripped out may cause issues for those who attempt to do the buyback at a later date and are missing some parts. We will just have to see..... Yet another reason I personally wanted to get my buybacks done ASAP, just to get them done before any changes could be made to the terms.

I don't bet often, but if I were to bet, I would bet VW DOES take this car back and gives him his full BB money. And I say that because we ALL know it is wrong to try to turn in a stripped car.... And it is just as wrong to have gone out after 6-28-16, after we knew all the details of the court case and the FTC tables were published, and purchase up cars on the cheap to turn in for profits... Which several of us did, myself included, and are getting full BB money paid on these cars. In alot of those cases we ( the people who ran out after 6-28 to snatch up TDI's ) not only took advantage of VW, we also took advantage of uninformed sellers that probably would not have sold the cars so cheap if they knew that in 6 months they would have gotten another 5-10 grand more for their car.

So yeah, it will be interesting to hear whether his BB goes smoothly. And if it does, great, might be alot more people to do the same.

I just know I asked the BB guy at my dealer when I turned in my first TDI, about taking parts off the car before I turn in the 2nd one, and he told me flat out NO.... Told me he was not going to put himself on the hook for accepting a car like that. He said he would have to take pictures and send to his supervisors and let them make the decision. That alone could cause a delay and result in having to reschedule your appointment, and could end up being rejected all together resulting in you having to fight your fight... which would not be a easy task in my opinion.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The language in the lawsuit is pretty clear, if there were stipulations they would have had to have stated all of the conditions in writing, I doubt they would have any legal grounds to reject his buyback
Many, many lengthy legal battles have been fought over the meaning of a single word in a contract.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Has it been confirmed that they actually accepted this car....(other than what we read on the internet)?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Seriously have you ever been laid in your lifetime? Why would anyone hope this car gets rejected? :rolleyes:
Because it would be funny. He would be searching for his parts trying to put it back together. To me it is vandalism. He isn't doing it for the parts. When you rip out the headliner and trunk padding you are just trying to destroy the car.

The first part of your statement is a non sequitur.

Anyway if someones car is destroyed badly in a crash I hope they get their money when someone purposely destroys a vehicle just to post photos of it I hope they don't.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
it's your own car until it's sold back. The court defined what you have to sell back in order to qualify. No laws are being broken, there are no ethical problems, it's just people doing what they feel like is worth it to them in order to accept the buyback offer.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
If you step back and look at this with a wider lens....he's actually doing work VW would eventually have to do before the car gets crushed, so in fact....he's SAVING VW money in the long run.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
If you step back and look at this with a wider lens....he's actually doing work VW would eventually have to do before the car gets crushed, so in fact....he's SAVING VW money in the long run.
Haha....so...people who are pissed at VW shouldnt strip cars...they should put more parts on it. :D:D:D

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
This may be the case that defines what can be considered an operable car.
What is considered an operable car is already defined in the settlement, no need for a case to decide it.
Issues of "legal grounds" are ultimately decided by judges in courtrooms. You think the class action guys will go to bat for this guy if he is rejected? I doubt it.
They won't have much choice if the judge calls a new session for clarification, will they?;)

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
i'll say it again: FJ Cruiser. the guy clearly needs help.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
What is considered an operable car is already defined in the settlement, no need for a case to decide it.
They won't have much choice if the judge calls a new session for clarification, will they?;)
Judges dont' just call new sessions because of something posted on reddit.

85YotaMan

TDI
2011 JSW Manual - 99 Cummins! - 98 Beetle 5 speed (sold)
This dude went all out! I'm impressed!
Mine goes back today at 6:00pm. I've already removed all my Whiteline suspension components, car now has no sway-bars haha. I mounted up bald mis-matched tires because mine were brand new. Also removed stereo, all weather floor mats, trunk mat and trunk cover.
I'm getting off work early to remove the entire custom Golf-R front-end... I can't let this sexy hard work go to the junkyard... Should be able to sell it to someone or buy a wrecked car to fix.
This is how she sit's right now.
IMG_8877 by Mr. Smith, on Flickr

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Mine goes back today at 6:00pm. I've already removed all my Whiteline suspension components, car now has no sway-bars haha. I mounted up bald mis-matched tires because mine were brand new. Also removed stereo, all weather floor mats, trunk mat and trunk cover.
I'm getting off work early to remove the entire custom Golf-R front-end... I can't let this sexy hard work go to the junkyard... Should be able to sell it to someone or buy a wrecked car to fix.
Was it an aftermarket stereo? Because if not, that was an item listed in the settlement as affecting the value of the buyback, but maybe only the premium sound system. If so, you'd need to hope to sell it for more than the allowance for it.

TDI2017

Banned
TDI
2014 Golf
Yet another confused anti-stripper.

Was it an aftermarket stereo? Because if not, that was an item listed in the settlement as affecting the value of the buyback, but maybe only the premium sound system. If so, you'd need to hope to sell it for more than the allowance for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.