Here's a new one...Wonder if VW will actually fix it.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Was checking the tire pressure this afternoon and something caught my eye....One of the brake pad clips on the back left side was missing along with a set of nice grooves in the rotor that match the width of them exactly. The rotor is what actually caught my eye initially, but dont know why I have never noticed before. Obviously looks like it was either never there to begin with since new, and maybe caused the clip at the other end of the pad to be mal adjusted and dug into the rotor at times, or else improperly installed from the factory and was the one digging into the rotor then somehow completely broke off somewhere along the way. At either rate, looks like it has been that way for awhile. Those groves match the width of the other clip exactly, and obviously has been that way for a significant amount of time being corroded in like that.

Quick through the rim shot. Not the best angle to show where the clip goes, but there wasnt a good spot to get that and the grooves without the wheel blocking the view. Also note the 'purple haze' at the bottom being complained about with the iPhone 5. Yep, it's certainly real! lol.

It's time for 20k service anyways this week, so that will def be shown to them. Hopefully they can install the clip and put on a new rotor under warranty since it obviously was a defective install from the factory. I just have this feeling that as soon as they hear "brakes" they are going to automaticly say wear item your paying. :(

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
In the grand scheme of things, I don't see this as a huge deal... you can get rear replacement rotors pretty cheap and is an easy swap.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Not exactly the same problem, but earlier this year my right rear caliper seized and was dragging. I noticed immediately with the fuel consumption and when I got out of the car, a burning smell. VW stepped up to the plate and replaced the caliper, pads and rotor, no questions asked.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
In the grand scheme of things, I don't see this as a huge deal... you can get rear replacement rotors pretty cheap and is an easy swap.
Yes, it is very easy work. Also low mile enough to just replace the one rotor vs the pair, especially being the back. I dont want some dirt cheap $30 chinese rotor, so I expect an average quality one would be around $50+....but even so, $50 is still $50 I'd rather not spend for something that should be warranty. If for some reason they wont take care of it, I'll prob replace that clip and just let that rotor ride for now, then just replace the pair if the grooves are too deep to come out smooth with em turned when it's time for new pads.

Kenn JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
A VW rear rotor lists for $50. From an online search:
Rear brakes, Rotor
Jetta Wagon, 272X10MM
List Price : $50.00
Your Price : $39.65

However, if the original poster is still within warranty, VW should cover the repair.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
do you have a pic of a properly installed clip?

I'd be impressed if they cover this, looks like a good wear item from their perspective (even though I don't agree with it)

aeronca

TDI
2011 JSW TDI manual
hot wheel, burning smell right rear brake - intermittant

Not exactly the same problem, but earlier this year my right rear caliper seized and was dragging. I noticed immediately with the fuel consumption and when I got out of the car, a burning smell. VW stepped up to the plate and replaced the caliper, pads and rotor, no questions asked.
Mine had the same issue last week, however the dealer was not able duplicate the issue after the car sat overnight. So no fix for me. They would not replace parts if no issue was present at the time. Now I am driving, wondering what is next? Anyone else have the burning rear brake issue? (15,000 miles on the car)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This seems more like an assembly issue, and I would think would be warrantable. Your rotor is probably fine, I'd just replace the missing clip.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Just take it to the dealer.They should at least replace the clip. The grooves won't affect your braking.

Donald

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
i wonder if the op has an update.

Mine had the same issue last week, however the dealer was not able duplicate the issue after the car sat overnight. So no fix for me. They would not replace parts if no issue was present at the time. Now I am driving, wondering what is next? Anyone else have the burning rear brake issue? (15,000 miles on the car)
did you try a different dealership?

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Anyone else have the burning rear brake issue? (15,000 miles on the car)
THIS appears to be a far more common MKV problem. I've replaced left rear twice in 64k miles and I lubricated sliding parts while I'm there. My E-brake does not feel like it's always pulling as sometimes the issue.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
i wonder if the op has an update.
They did pretty much a full brake job on the back. New pads both sides and new rotor on affected side.

Didnt know what to expect out of them given some of the stories on here on things that clearly should be warrantied but dealers fought on, especially since brakes are a legit wear item even though this clearly wasnt normal wear. I had no problem at all. I showed it to them, and they quickly agreed to take care of it, with no beating around the bush.