Hep Rear brakes 2015 Golf TDI

sakonnet_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I am in the process of changing my rear brakes on my SEL and was wondering if VCDS is required. Unfortunately the computer that it was loaded on has crapped out. I was trying to change them but the caliper would not budge in. I am using one of the cheap autozone cubes that you hook to a ratchet. If anuohas done their rear brakes please share your advice.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I tried that cube on one of my VWs, I could not push hard enough and turn the cube to get the caliper in. I ended up purchasing the kit with the backing plate that lets you put pressure on the caliper while turning. Instead of buying, you can check with the FLAPs, they may rent the kit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
harbor frieght has a like "78 piece brake tool kit", well worth digging through the trash for that 20% coupon you just tossed away.

sakonnet_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I will be heading to Harbor Freight this afternoon and thank you everyone. I was concerned because some of the videos said electronic braking needed VCDS. I have no idea if I have this braking but hey we will find out tonight. I will let you know if it is required and maybe it will help someone down the road. Thanks again to the best forum yet.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
harbor frieght has a like "78 piece brake tool kit", well worth digging through the trash for that 20% coupon you just tossed away.
That was the kit that I purchased from HF. Be careful with their posted prices, they now have a customer club that has a membership fee, so the low price posted for some products is for those members.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
If you're not planning on using the brake kit more than a handful of times, the other option is to rent a disk brake tool kit from Autozone, or Advanced Auto Parts. The rental is free, but you do pay a deposit that gets refunded when you return the kit. I've rented the kit from Advanced quite a few times and never had any issues with it.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
wow, had to look this up... so the piston screws in/out on our vehicles? i'm used to working on old school calipers.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I was concerned because some of the videos said electronic braking needed VCDS. I have no idea if I have this braking but hey we will find out tonight...
If you have a lever between the front seats, you do not have an electric parking brake. That system uses a switch on the console.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
as an fyi they use Mk4 rear brake pads, and youll note the Mk7 doesnt use the stainless sliders so keep the pads lubed.

Ooga

TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
So from the sound of it, a C-clamp and piece of wood isn't going to do the trick? Also, is it just me or are the breaks on these things the noisiest ever?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My brakes didn't make any noise for 20,000+ miles. I have aftermarket brakes up front now, and they make a little noise. But nothing when stock... Golf TDI for me too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Just rolled over 90k miles with original pads, calipers, and rotors. I cant remember the last time I noticed any brake noise unless the car sat for a few days. In those cases any brake noise disappears by the time I reach the end of my street.

sakonnet_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Just changed the front and back. Had almost 100k on it and the harbor freight tool for the rear was a life saver over my generic cube. The fronts I could have used a c-clamp and wood but it would have been tight. Just a FYI check your rear springs. My driver side was snapped at the bottom and this was not on a wagon. Fortunately I had a brand new set so that saved me. I checked with VW and my vin did not come up but it was a new recall. Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Jason