Hengst oil filters

joecitizennn

TDI
jetta
Anyone here try them? I was at NAPA and saw that they had these for 8.50 and the computer listed them as OEM. I thought Mahle and Mann were the OEMs but from the limited research I have done, Hengst has been installed in the VW factory too. According to one online vendor,
Number of filter pleats:
Hengst 78
Mahle 65
Mann 50

Sounds like Hengst is really good stuff, but as always I an interested in what others have to say.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All three of those companies are OE suppliers to VW. Perhaps not for all products, and I don't know what vehicle you're talking about, but it's possible that Hengst was one of the OE suppliers. We think all three companies are comparable in terms of quality.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm not sure that the number of pleats is a critical metric. They could all use different filtration media for all we know.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
buy one, take it apart and measure how long the pleat sheet is and compare it with the sticky on oil filters and CAI's

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VAG has several filter suppliers. Mann, Mahle, Purflux, Hengst, UFI, etc.

It varies from engine to engine, and the same engine type may have several different ones. Most ALH engines use a Mahle or Mann+Hummel oil filter assembly.

You can find out which one by looking at the side of the aluminum casting. Mahle's symbol is a little square with a fat arrow with sguiggly lines in it. It will have the Mahle brand filter element number right next to that, OX143, along with the VAG element number.

The Mann+Hummel ones will say "MANN+HUMMEL" on them, in a similar location, and their symbol which almost looks like a heart in a square with a big block line through it (I think it is actually a stylized "M") with the Mann filter element number HU726/2x along with the VAG element number. Usually the Mann supplied units also have their name on the cap, too.

Most ALHs have a Mahle assembly. However, both elements will fit and work perfectly fine in either housing.

All the ALHs have a Mann air filter housing, and they have the appropriate numbers on them as well.

BRMs, on the other hand, use either Mann+Hummel oil filter assemblies or Purflux. They are also marked. They also always use a Mann air filter. BRMs also use Mann fuel filters. ALHs, BEWs, and BHWs all use Bosch fuel filters from the factory.

The only thing I know fro sure that Hengst supplies VAG is the 2.5L 5 cyl gasser valve covers, the EA888 2.0L gas turbo crankcase pressure regulator valves, and some other gasser items here and there.

Lots of times, the aftermarket retailers label ANY of a particular brand as "OEM" to a manufacturer, even if that particular part was not actually used as the original equipment. So you may look up a spark plug for a Toyota, and see Bosch listed as "OEM", when in fact, no Toyota anywhere ever used a Bosch spark plug from the factory... they are almost always Denso with a few NGKs, but never ever Bosch. But, since Bosch did supply Toyota with some ABS units in US-assembled cars (Camry), they get to where the "OEM" badge. So you really have to often read between the lines to know what you are getting.

But if you really want the "best" filter for your TDI, find out whose housing is on the engine. We use Mann oil filters almost exclusively here on all VAG applications, as well as BMW, MB, and others, and have never had any issues with them. They seem to work perfectly fine even in housings made by Mahle or Purflux.

Oh, and Purlfux' symbol is just a square with wavy lines in it, similar to Mahle's but no arrow. Again they usually have their name somewhere on the item as well.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The reality of the filters are that as long as they have metal internals, long pleat strip, and fit your engine, it's all the same as long as you change it when your supposed to.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
And, for years, other than a screen at the oil pick-up tube, VW engines never had a filter.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And, for years, other than a screen at the oil pick-up tube, VW engines never had a filter.

Well, yes, but technically these are all Audi engines anyway. ;) The last of the original Volkswagen died off shortly after Heinrich Nordhoff. The last hoorah being the 411, which, among many other firsts for Volkswagen, DID have a conventional spin on can oil filter on its all new engine.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yea, and what was the oil change interval, like 10000 miles or something?