hemp oil as bio-fuel

foxco

TDI
jetta
I have seen a few posts on how soy 'corn and other food items being used as bio-fuel would raise the cost of food.There is another great crop that produces very good oil and thats industrial hemp.Industrial hemp is a great crop for farmers you can get a tramendous yield per acre.it can be grown in drought ridden soil (i.e mild desert type areas),and it is very good as a fourth rotation crop which makes the farm soil richer instead of sucking all the nutrients out by planting the same crops over and over.Industrial hemp also yields more textile firbrict per plant than cotton 4x more fiber per plant actually,and cotton accounts for 35-50% of all pesticides used in the u.s each year.Another thing is paper instead of cutting down forests which suck up co2 just use hemp hurd to make paper.
I know theres the it will add to the pot in u.s. but that is a myth industrial hemp only contains .003% thc in it which is about equal to the amount of opium in the poppy seed on your breadyou would have to smoke a state forest worth to get high.
During world war 2 the government gave out 400,000 tons of hemp seeds to farmers to produce better fibers for ropes and cloths durabilty and lubrication oil for guns and machinery.Most of the first combustion engines ever made ran on hemp oil. industrial hemp wasn't made illegal till 1937 after oil and paper companies (ran by william randolf hurst ) used hersts newspaper publishers to campaign that hemp was a bad drug.
sorry bought long post but there are alternatives for every thing legalize hemp its good for the country

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The world's oil-based economy relies on you NOT being able to use cheap and easy to produce hemp products.

Look how many people would be unemployed if everyone and their dog could produce what they need in their own back yard.

If we stop using petroleum products, then we instead have to guard them so nobody else (China) uses them either. Do you expect the military to guard the oil indefinitely using missiles and guns made from hemp?

The hemp thing ain't gonna happen until all the oil is gone. Someone is going to use that oil, so it might as well be the USA (and Canada, but we just do whatever the USA tells us to so we don't count).

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
I want to run my TDI on Whale oil. Whales are big animals and contain lots of oils. Also, they are renewable. The skins make nice shoes, the baleen can be used for ropes and such, and the blow hole makes for a passable prosthetic anus.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
lupin..the..3rd said:
I want to run my TDI on Whale oil. Whales are big animals and contain lots of oils. Also, they are renewable. The skins make nice shoes, the baleen can be used for ropes and such, and the blow hole makes for a passable prosthetic anus.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Hilarious!

NaughtyVWGirl

TDI
'82 Jetta AAZ TD, '79 Rabbit AAZ TD, 2001 Jetta TDI
Industrial hemp & HR 1009

Hemp is Canada's most profitable crop, yet US farmers still can't grow it.

Here's a handy video clip on industrial hemp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDLiHJFPWsM

It was presidential candidate Congressman Ron Paul who reintroduced HR 1009 in 2007.
"Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2007 - Amends the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of "marihuana." Defines "industrial hemp" to mean the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant with a delta-nine tetrahydrocannabinol concentration that does not exceed .3 percent on a dry weight basis. Grants a state regulating the growing and processing of industrial hemp exclusive authority, in any criminal or civil action or administrative proceeding, to determine whether any such plant meets that concentration limit."

Thanks, foxco, for the link (http://www.votehemp.com/write_congress.html) so people can write their Congress people in support of this bill.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
U.S. farmers still being prevented from farming hemp is not only absurd, but irresponsible social and energy policy.

The high-protein & oil seeds, fiber, and cellulose would just create too much competition for corn & the people who make money selling to farmers. Corn production uses vast quantities of natural-gas-derived fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides (none of which hemp requires).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
"Dude! Your car is smokin', can I have a toke?"

Anyway... I recall a thread a couple years back about a guy that had made "biodiesel" out of dead cats. So if they can make biodiesel out of cats, they could make it out of humans.

Have you ever wondered what the base stock is for Biodiesel Green?

stinkindiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Mike_04GolfTDI said:
The hemp thing ain't gonna happen until all the oil is gone. Someone is going to use that oil, so it might as well be the USA (and Canada, but we just do whatever the USA tells us to so we don't count).
Well, then... go make me a sandwich!!:D That'll count for something, at least at my house.

I mean, as long as you'se guys living in NORTH North America are in such a tractable mood.

It's going to take a lot of people doing a lot of stuff in their own backyards (personal biodiesel processors, ethanol stills, co-ops of all types, etc.) to put a big enough dent in the wallets of big oil to make them see they're missing out on the alt fuel $$. Face it: we Americans drove MORE in the last 3 months of 2007 than we did in the last 3 months of 2006. How can anyone take our threats seriously that we're going to boycott or drive less?
HOWEVER... if enough of us find our own way of not putting money in big oil's coffers, they will notice it. Maybe not on their bottom line, but maybe as a lost line of revenue. If they see that enough folks are looking into biofuels, etc., they'll jump into the fray with their own products. Not that it'll be any cheaper, but at least we'll have an alternative and we'll be on the road toward expanded biofuel use.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
NaughtyVWGirl said:
Hemp is Canada's most profitable crop, yet US farmers still can't grow it.
Go back to Evergreen you hippie! Wait I went there too!

whitedog said:
"Dude! Your car is smokin', can I have a toke?"
Doggie, you can't smoke industrial hemp, or so they told me at Evergreen. Isn't the Constitution and Declaration of Independence made from hemp parchment?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
StElmo said:
Doggie, you can't smoke industrial hemp, or so they told me at Evergreen. Isn't the Constitution and Declaration of Independence made from hemp parchment?
I know, but I had to throw in a stoner comment.:D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If it is good for me to grow, I will grow it.. Just as soon as it is LEGAL for me to do so.
Only a fool would risk losing the farm over growing the wrong (illegal) crop.

I'm all for it! (Just give a legal leg to stand on)

Bill

KeystoneBioFuels

TDI
06'Jetta TDI pk2/86' Golf 1.6na
we just made a small beaker batch of hemp oil bio at my work.
Got an 8oz. bottle of cold pressed hemp oil from the health food store for $10 on sale:eek: .
put 50ml in my car just to say i ran it. Also have a small sample jar in my car. 20*F and still didn't gel. (soy and WVO bio were both gelled) it was a little cloudy but I think it would be good down to around 15*F.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
StElmo said:
Go back to Evergreen you hippie! Wait I went there too!

They are, St. Elmo. The Gutenburg press was also designed to print on hemp parchment. It is amazing to me how we somehow lost this great plant fiber over the last century.

mk4gasm

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
foxco said:
I know theres the it will add to the pot in u.s. but that is a myth industrial hemp only contains .003% thc in it which is about equal to the amount of opium in the poppy seed on your breadyou would have to smoke a state forest worth to get high.
that poppyseed bagel you just ate for breakfast will make you fail a peetest. mythbusters ftw.

in plus, no one smokes pot anymore; jenkem is the new thing...i mean its free!

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Whatever happened to growing algae for biodiesel? It yields a lot per acre as well (and could potentially be grown from CO2 from coal plants). Whether it's hemp or algae i think they both benefit a lot over using soy.

LVTony

TDI
'04 NB TDi 5 speed
whitedog said:
... I recall a thread a couple years back about a guy that had made "biodiesel" out of dead cats. So if they can make biodiesel out of cats, they could make it out of humans.

Have you ever wondered what the base stock is for Biodiesel Green?
And here I thought Soy Biodiesel stood for Soybean Biodiesel. It's really been Soylent Biodiesel... :eek:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Mike_04GolfTDI said:

stinkindiesel said:
Well, then... go make me a sandwich!!:D That'll count for something, at least at my house.
I'll call Brian Mulroney and see if he'll make that sandwich for you.

talktob

TDI
Jetta V
mk4gasm said:
that poppyseed bagel you just ate for breakfast will make you fail a peetest. mythbusters ftw.

in plus, no one smokes pot anymore; jenkem is the new thing...i mean its free!
Had to look that one up.
enkem or jekem is an inhaled gas which can result in dissociation and hallucinations. It is made from fermented sewage. According to Fountain of Hope, a non-profit organization, Jenkem is used by street children in Lusaka, Zambia as a substitute for ordinary inhalants such as glue or petrol. The news reports give no information as to how or when the children first began manufacturing jenkem. According to BBC News it has been around since at least 1997.[1]
uuuggghhh :eek:

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Hash oil contains about 4 times the Btu content of hemp oil but of course the viscosity is closer to molassas than water.

I'd need to reconsider my license plate, too.....hmmm, BONGOJET? And maybe a bumper sticker....

Following too close may be hazardous to your sobriety.

Hopefully, Gubment $$ will be returning to algae in a big way in coming months....recent news blurb on verticle algae arrays

diesel up, errr on