Help!!!

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
Turbodieseldyke I'd like to say yes but John Jackson found me one out of an A3 Jetta TDI. Unfortunately it is not interchangeable.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Jetta Mk3 and B4 are not interchangeable. The cooler you need can only come from a B4 (or maybe late B3 TD) but that's it.

Should be something out there though, lots of rotted B4's end up being conversion fodder. Often the cooler isn't used in the project as people like to go FMC instead.

Steve

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
All the b4 intercoolers are 20+ years old... The seals on the end tanks are shot on many of them.

I went through 3 of them an none of them held up to increased boost levels until I gave up and rigged a FMIC. Typically 3 months or less before the end tanks would separate and it would bleed boost.

I'd say to switch to a FMIC or have aluminum end tanks welded onto a good b4 intercooler core if you insist on stock location.

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
I would like to stay stock as this is my DD I don't have time or resources to make it a project car.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
Is bypassing the intercooler an option until you are able to locate a good one? It would hurt performance, but it would at least get you back on the road. Simply replace the intercooler with some tubing...

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
none of mine were in great shape and id bet they have been recycled by now. i left them at my dads shop after removal.

you could remove the intercooler and put a section of hose/pipe in its place until a replacement is found or fabricated. thinking about it now, hindsight being 20/20 and all, i bet a good radiator shop could do a good job of replacing the seals and re-crimping the end tanks on a leaking one.

if you typically drive it for fuel economy rather than for performance, deleting the intercooler may not have a huge negative effect for you anyway. you can delete the intercooler permanently by routing the turbo right into the intake manifold through your choice of piping.