Help with Pela 650 needed!

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
I just bought a Pela 650 (the big tall cylindrical job), and I looked at the smaller extractor tube to try and remove a bit of the stiffening rod that's in there,

I've read other threads about cutting down the "spring" in the extractor tube, to get it all the way down into the pan of the '06 Jetta V TDI. My Pela tubes don't have "springs" - they have a stiff wire rod in the tube. The rod is formed into a coil in the coupler end, that's attached to the tube.

I've tried lightly twisting and pulling on the coupler to remove it and the rod from the tube, but it doesn't seem to budge. I didn't want to ruin it, so I didn't try too hard without asking here first.

Anyone know how to remove this thing, so I can cut the rod back a bit??
:confused:
Note: the tube is stiff plastic, and can't be "peeled back" to expose the end of the rod either.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Maybe you can use a mini pipe cutter used for copper piping to cut it down to size? You can buy it in the plumbing section of Lowe's or Home Depot.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
On mine, I went to the other end and removed it all the way and cut about 1/2" off and then reinstalled the wire. Works good. Needle noswe pliers work good to remove it from the other end, snip, reinstall.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Mach1 said:
On mine, I went to the other end and removed it all the way and cut about 1/2" off and then reinstalled the wire. Works good. Needle noswe pliers work good to remove it from the other end, snip, reinstall.
Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a try.
To be honest, I've been so busy, I haven't had a chance to look at it after taking it out of the box initially. I've been wondering if a needle-nose would reach - that was going to be my first try. Time for the 5K change this weekend.

Do you happen to know how far the extracting tube extends down into the dipstick tube? I thought someone previously gave a rough dimension - to give an idea that the tube is far enough to reach the bottom of the pan, without going too far and poking up out of the oil?

Mach1

TDI
Yea, I pulled the wire out from the other side and cut it off then reinserted the wire back in the tube. As far as the depth, I dont have the dimension, But I will pass along that you can hear the Pela hissing if it isn't picking up oil, So I went in there and played with different depths. I tried the first depth, when it hits and wants to stop, Get all out at this depth then insert a little further and see if it picks up. And just keep trying different depths. Its sounds difficult, but once you get the majority out then the Pela will make a sucking air sound and you can try various depths to try to get more out. Use the Pela to remove the oil from the oil filter cavity as well. Good Luck.

Mach1

TDI
I was only getting out 3.5 lts. or about 4 qts. Now I have the longer dipstick and i know I will get out more next time. Have you checked your dipstick to see if you have one of the TSB'ed ones. Look for the 'M'.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Longer dipstick, get more out?

The wire that is in question, is it needed?
My Pela has no stiffening wire, and I have no problem getting 4.5/5 quarts out of the oil pan.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
esoteric0001 said:
It worked very well but I still was only able to get 4 qts out. Has anyone done better with the Pela?
I was able to extract 4.5q on my first change...