Help with Jetta Wagon Purchase

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I haven't gotten into the car yet but will be doing that tonight. I thought I could tear down to timing belt removal and then that would get rid of an hour of labor that the mechanic has to do if I opted to take it to a shop. If I see a loose/broken timing belt I'm gonna remove the valve cover and look for low slung lifters. If there is indication of valve damages I'm going to scratch working on it myself either totally or have it trailered back home perhaps. I may give the seller a persuasive chance to refund my payment. I from asking lots of questions online and have a video and photos of transaction,car and pertaining materials including an affidavit from a car detailing service center I have an already won case essentially, with proof that the seller knowingly defrauded me. Still I don't know that I'll do that but is an option.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Thanks to a guy at the Motel I'm at I learned that Autozone has rental tools and found they have all timing belt tools other than the spanning wrench specifically advertised for VW TDI though this tool may be common to other vehicles timing belts or other uses. Please advise if the usual spanner wrench is known in common ise with other vehicles or what search terms, item number to search with and/or where I would find one easily at a brick and morter store near me.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I haven't gotten into the car yet but will be doing that tonight. I thought I could tear down to timing belt removal and then that would get rid of an hour of labor that the mechanic has to do if I opted to take it to a shop. If I see a loose/broken timing belt I'm gonna remove the valve cover and look for low slung lifters. If there is indication of valve damages I'm going to scratch working on it myself either totally or have it trailered back home perhaps. I may give the seller a persuasive chance to refund my payment. I from asking lots of questions online and have a video and photos of transaction,car and pertaining materials including an affidavit from a car detailing service center I have an already won case essentially, with proof that the seller knowingly defrauded me. Still I don't know that I'll do that but is an option.
HI,

I feel badly about your car situation , and I don't want to be the bearer of bad news , but I'm not sure if it'll be very likely to be able to get your $$ back from the seller ..... (short of being a very intimidating guy making the seller "an offer he can't refuse" :-O )

I'm not a lawyer, but generally speaking, it's buyer beware on a used item sale .

However, IF you can prove there was an oral contract between you all where the seller specifically warranted the vehicles usability for a certain time period or condition etc etc you may have potentially a case BUT short of video / audio and / or written evidence to that effect that may be a tough path to go forward with ...... because IF the seller was truely unloading (or even if not) the vehicle why whould he / she want it back now that it IS broken (from there perspective , if they truly believed the car was good when they sold it to you , they could think you could went racing with it and blew it up or maybe tinkered with it mechanically and screwed it up etc...).

Of course if they did unload it intentionally , their moral character would probably not allow them to take back something that it has now blown up .... after all it is WAY harder to sell a blown / broken car for good $$ than a running one.

It's a bad situation and would not hurt to try to get a refund BUT , you should be prepared to work with the vehicle you now have.

Wishing you the best in this situation ....

Andrew

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
hskrdu what would a tow like that cost? I appreciate the recommendation but also need to be practical with time and Logistics. I'm needing to return north monday I have to do everything today and tomorrow by mid afternoon.
I was suggesting the tow because in post #24 you said you signed up for AAA. Otherwise tow rates vary by location, distance, and type of tow, etc., and I won't pretend that my google skills are stronger than yours. I was also suggesting the tow since it saves you from having to diagnose and fix the car from a motel parking lot. Further, from your previous posts, it sounds like you're not exactly sure of how to handle the situation mechanically. Finally, I was suggesting it because Brandon is honest and great with TDIs.

In terms of being practical with time and logistics, I'd politely suggest that the situation no longer allows many options.

Do us a favor and post some current photos of the car in SoCal.

Last edited:

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
As far as uneducated or rushed repair or being uncertain I am uncertain what the matter is though I am confident in my ability to diagnose and repair if I have adequate tools and resources such as work book/auto repair manual, YouTube contributions etc. Working in a Motel parking lot yeah I don't mind seeming ghetto maybe I am. I actually do have a bunch of messages, audio, video and an affidavit from a car detailing service that states he found glass in a the seatbelt pocket and this would not be usually apparent in a pre buy inspection. Yet the seller said when questioned if there was a break in to the car he responded "not that I know of, language that is evasive and obviously a lie, an attempt to conceal rather than disclose information about the cars history...

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Then there's him saying that Kelly Blue Book value is 4,000 that's why he's asking that price. That's an attempt to defraud with mis-information.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
As far as uneducated or rushed repair or being uncertain I am uncertain what the matter is though I am confident in my ability to diagnose and repair if I have adequate tools and resources such as work book/auto repair manual, YouTube contributions etc. Working in a Motel parking lot yeah I don't mind seeming ghetto maybe I am. I actually do have a bunch of messages, audio, video and an affidavit from a car detailing service that states he found glass in a the seatbelt pocket and this would not be usually apparent in a pre buy inspection. Yet the seller said when questioned if there was a break in to the car he responded "not that I know of, language that is evasive and obviously a lie, an attempt to conceal rather than disclose information about the cars history...
Broken glass can be the result of an accident. Since this car did have body work that is a good possibility, If you would have gotten a carfax and/or autocheck report, it may have shown an insurance claim for vandalism/theft or body repair. Since you didn't do any kind of pre-purchase inspection or investigation into the history of this car, you have no idea. It doesn't matter anyway as you purchased it "As is where is".

Then there's him saying that Kelly Blue Book value is 4,000 that's why he's asking that price. That's an attempt to defraud with mis-information.
It's not an attempt to defraud. Nice TDIs, especially a well cared for ALH will typically sell for far more than what it's worth according to KBB or NADA. Market value is subjective, and manipulated to an extent. Look at what dealerships charge for used cars, its nuts! THE CAR IS WORTH WHATEVER SOMEONE WILL PAY FOR IT. In this case, the wagon was actually worth $4000 as you bought it anyway ignoring all the flaws and red flags.

By reading your posts, it makes me think you're 18 years old and have no common sense. Maybe you're very naive and never bought a used car before, I don't know. Sometimes you just need to call these events learning experiences. Unless you have the money to fix this thing, which will likely be far more than it's worth, I think it's time to move on. Maybe you can get $500 for it as a mechanics special on craigslist.

Last edited:

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Hopeful,
You have followed the advice of absolutely no one since you first posted. Each step you have made has been an epic fail. Making excuses and stating you know better than everybody else. I remember acting in the same way when I was young. I did it my way! Painful lessons. If I only knew then, what I know now.
Good luck,
Rational

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Just read through this thread... Do you have anyone with vag-com nearby? You mention it tried to start a couple of times? Do the check engine light and glow plugs lights come on when you turn the key on?
My biggest recommendation to you would be to consider the help from the guys here on this forum. A lot of these guys have seen it all. I've seen a lot, but not like oil hammer or some of these other guys. I definitely understand your predicament too. That can be pretty hard. I hope you get it resolved!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This thread is like (what I think) it would be like watching tooef court a girl. Very winceworthy.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Purchased a decent tool set and am going to start working. I checked with autozone for tool availability they have cam lock tools the long reach type as well as the wedges type cam lock tools. On the best tutorial I watched the mechanic used the cam lock tool that looks like a letter M. He did not use the wedge type tools. Can anyone explain if the wedge type and M type are different ways to achieve the same effect. Also can someone please offer the name of a private mechanic/guru/member that has VagCom and or the timing belt tools I could borrow/supervise my repair. I've got a timing belt kit and am about to start tearing the engine apart. I'm confident in my abilities but it would be nice for moral support at least...

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Was battery. Started but I hadn't reconnected a part correctly and started seeing smoke smelling parrafin wax smell and started running rough then died. Would start run for a couple seconds and shut down. Walked away from the car came back walked away again got on a train abandoning it in San Diego on the street for two days but had prepared for the best. Got it stored in a shop for the holidays. TDI 101 Died wont start scenario 7 leaning toward the intake director valve, antitheft system, solnoid, fuel issue or a combined scenario and/or associated codes from these. IDK if I much want to post here but I'll probably continue though I think it prudent to study a repair manual to familiarize myself with the correct terminology for various components and systems before posting further. Anyone have Manual(s) to offer for sale and/or links to software?

wildn

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon 5spd! 2011 Jetta JSW TDI DSG
Tow to Brandon at SMS European in Huntington Beach.
I second, Brandon at SMS is a TDI wizard and I value his opinion highly. He knows his stuff and is super cool, had him do my TB and reseal my injection pump.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Was battery. Started but I hadn't reconnected a part correctly and started seeing smoke smelling parrafin wax smell and started running rough then died. Would start run for a couple seconds and shut down. Walked away from the car came back walked away again got on a train abandoning it in San Diego on the street for two days but had prepared for the best. Got it stored in a shop for the holidays. TDI 101 Died wont start scenario 7 leaning toward the intake director valve, antitheft system, solnoid, fuel issue or a combined scenario and/or associated codes from these. IDK if I much want to post here but I'll probably continue though I think it prudent to study a repair manual to familiarize myself with the correct terminology for various components and systems before posting further. Anyone have Manual(s) to offer for sale and/or links to software?
The best manual would be a Bentley, you can get them online or maybe find someone who is selling one off for a good price. (Generally costs around $100 for the manual) Chilton or Haynes don't have the detail and if I remember correctly, don't have the diesel specific info. I have access to prodemand online which has oem info as well.
Does the check engine light and glow plugs light come on when you turn the key on?
An immobilizer issue will generally allow it to start every time, but it will die immediately and most times it will flash the immobilizer icon on the dash. I just had some fun with some cars with that issue. But if it doesn't start every time, I'd probably lean away from that.
Another possibility could be fuel issues. Most common of which would be air intrusion. (Note, the alh does not have a lift pump in the tank)
The hose from the fuel filter to the injection pump should be clear, check for air bubbles when cranking or running.
There should be 12 volts at the fuel cutoff switch at the end of the injection pump when the key is on. Those can fail, but it's not as common.
The intake director valve... I assume you're speaking of the anti shudder valve (asv). That one would be really easy to check. Pull the pipe off the end of the intake manifold and see if the valve is open. It should stay open, except for a little bit when you shut down. I would probably not suspect that, but it doesn't hurt to check.
I suppose you don't have vag-com? That would be the best tool to use in diagnosing your problem.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Mozambiquer thanks yeah I don't have VAG-COM. I'll order a Bently Manual tonight the VAG-COM or OEM Audi-VolksWagen diagnostics software too. I am leaning away from the immobilizer.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Bentley looks as if it is the more comprehensive manual. Perhaps the less expensive Hanes is a good start and I can purchase the Bentley later. Question: I see the Bentley seems to be available as one book or two. What is the significance of one volume as opposed to two volumes? I would imagine these are not two of the same but one is covering gas and the other diesel or one contains most of the picture references?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Late in publication the MKIV manual went from one book to two. Same content. Either version will be very helpful. I wouldn't bother with the Haynes, they really are too sort on info to be useful for any significant diagnosis or repair.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Ok I'll order the Bentley thanks. I would like to inquire into stiffer springs/suspension. Where on the forum is the best place for a discussion on that?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Mozambiquer thanks yeah I don't have VAG-COM. I'll order a Bently Manual tonight the VAG-COM or OEM Audi-VolksWagen diagnostics software too. I am leaning away from the immobilizer.
Vag-com will be one of the best things you can do to help diagnose your car.