Help with intercooler hose

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi folks -

I am cross-posting this, as I think maybe there will be more eyes and knowledge here than over in the MKIV TDI area.
Here's my post:

Basically, I have a GTD1752vrk installed, and the boost-to-intercooler hose blew off at around 20psi, and now won't stay on at all.
I believe the installer I hired didn't get it right, so I'm looking to replace this hose I have with a one-piece, 2" to 2 1/4" one.

The installer used a CF-style clamp, which isn't holding to the turbo outlet. Worse, when I attempted to ratchet it down more, it kept twisting (due to the torque) and would always come right off. I tried a standard hose clamp, and it too came right off under boost.

With all the custom fabbing going on in this forum, I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Jud.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Which side blew off? At the turbo, or at the intercooler?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Turbo side. I got it on and holding this way: started first with the rubber boot part on the turbo, and got it clamped down HARD, then worked my way slowly from my left towards the intercooler on the right. So, she's buttoned up and holding boost now. I doubt she'll blow off again - I used the CF clamp and my 20v Dewalt.

So, good for now. (Yeesh that was more work that expected - took all day to figure this much out.)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Sometimes boost hoses can be a butt. Does your turbo outlet have a sealing bead on it at least?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
As it turned out, yes. It sure didn't look that way, but when taking pictures I noticed something, then feeling it carefully I was able to identify a slight ridge. This was the key: the mechanic didn't get the hose all the way in and get the clamp *past* the ridge. (Well, here's to hoping. I haven't gone past 10psi of boost yet.)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I put marks on my boost pipes in my ALH with FMIC so I know how far the silicone elbow/connectors need to be on for the clamp to be past the bead. Should be pretty obvious on the turbo, but I've seen some really long looking modified outlets that combined with a short silicone elbow, could make it hard to get on far enough. This place has a good selection of silicone elbows for good prices.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Went for a long drive, with a number of WOT runs (on-ramps to highways). Holding 23psi of boost (probably 24 - gauge may be off a little) with no issues. No smoke too, which is really a very cool bonus.