Help with 09 Jetta Auxiliary Input!

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 JSW
Hi Folks,

I just purchased a pre-owned 2009 Jetta TDI. It has the "Premium Sound System", with an Auxiliary input in the console. The manual says holding the CD button down should switch to the Aux. input, but my radio just shows NO CD for a bit, then flips back to the radio.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I have a problem of some kind?

(My wife has an 2008 Passat with pretty much the same system and this works, FWIW).

Thanks!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If you can't get the aux. to come up at all, you will need to have someone go in there with VCDS to recode the radio. That will get aux. to work.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is VCDS? Is that the same as the VAGCOM software?
Yep, VCDS is the new designation. If you know someone that has it, they can get the aux. input working.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
When you find someone with VCDS (Vag-Com), the fix is easy. Go to the radio controller (Address 56) and look at the coding. It will probably be 0040400. Change it to 0040401, and click "Do it". Then like magic, you AUX input will be back. I have done this for several people. Why the controller turns off this bit when the battery is disconnected is a mystery to me, but at least the fix is easy.

Have Fun!

Don

bshapperd

TDI
2009 JSW CR 2.0 w/DSG. Formerly 1992 1.6TD Jetta
Yes, our 2009 had the DSG Mechatronics unit replaced, CPU ref lashed with updated software and oil change. When we got it back the Aux jack did not work. Still have not had this checked but the dealer says they'll do the diagnostic and fix the issue.

Would my battery have been disconnected for the above procedure by the dealer?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would my battery have been disconnected for the above procedure by the dealer?
I'm not sure, but there might be other things that will cause it too. I know disconnecting the battery can do it. Who knows if anything else does it also. If the dealer wants to charge you, find someone with VCDS. One of the people who I fixed it for said that their dealer wanted $150.00 to fix it.:confused:

Have Fun!

Don

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure, but there might be other things that will cause it too. I know disconnecting the battery can do it. Who knows if anything else does it also. If the dealer wants to charge you, find someone with VCDS. One of the people who I fixed it for said that their dealer wanted $150.00 to fix it.:confused:

Have Fun!

Don
I've been told the radio needs to be reset with VCDS. Fortunately, my brother has it, so if the dealer won't do it, I'll ask him. Hopefully that sorts it out.

TDI_Lee

Veteran Member
TDI
b
Not sure if this will help, but on my 2009 you have to press the "SAT" button twice, not the "CD" button in order to switch to the AUX input.

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure if this will help, but on my 2009 you have to press the "SAT" button twice, not the "CD" button in order to switch to the AUX input.
Hey TDI_Lee, thanks. I did try that buy no go. It's off to the dealer tomorrow.

How many miles do you have on your 2009? Any HPFP issues?

Thanks,
Lee

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Very interesting. We must have different radios. You made me go out to my car and check. I have an '09 JSW with a "Premium 7" radio with built-in 6 CD changer. When I press the CD button twice, I get "AUX IN". When I press the SAT button multiple times it cycles between "SR 1", "SR 2", and "SR 3". This makes me wonder if the '09 sedans and the '09 Sportwagens came with different radios.

Have Fun!

Don

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
Very interesting. We must have different radios. You made me go out to my car and check. I have an '09 JSW with a "Premium 7" radio with built-in 6 CD changer. When I press the CD button twice, I get "AUX IN". When I press the SAT button multiple times it cycles between "SR 1", "SR 2", and "SR 3".
same here!

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
same here!

Well, had the car in the dealer for two recalls, and they recoded the radio for me as a courtesy, so Auxiliary is working again, yeah!

The service writer tried to tell me that "not all cars have the auxillary feature", even though it has the jack.

They also managed to bugger up the key I bought for them to cut and code. They told me it wasn't OEM, even though it looks OEM to me. They are ordering the Key part from VW for me using the VIN as a courtesy. (The salesman told me their machine was buggered, so I'm guessing they just gave it a shot and used the "non-OEM" thing to cover their butt). I wish folks would just tell the truth, it wouldn't have bothered me. The fact that they feel the need to tell me stories is what bugs me.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
When you find someone with VCDS (Vag-Com), the fix is easy. Go to the radio controller (Address 56) and look at the coding. It will probably be 0040400. Change it to 0040401, and click "Do it". Then like magic, you AUX input will be back. I have done this for several people. Why the controller turns off this bit when the battery is disconnected is a mystery to me, but at least the fix is easy.

Have Fun!

Don
Didn't even realize mine went missing but its back now (changed the last digit as instructed).
What i found odd was my coding was 0010400, the "1" referred to front and rear monitoring inactive". I saw no difference when i coded it to "4" front and rear monitoring active. I'm using coding 0010401 now.

rrs

TDI
2006 Jetta
I have this problem on my '06 jetta. There is an AUX jack in the glovebox, but it has not worked since I bought the car a few months ago. Unfortunately when I went to recode the radio with VCDS, the radio code was 0010022. I was expecting it to be 0040400 or 0010400 like in the other posts I have seen. I tried recoding to one of the suggested codes, but the radio would not accept either 0040401 or 0010401. Any advice on where to proceed from here?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It sounds like you probably do not have a "Premium 7" radio. I do not know what radio came with a 2006 Jetta. Therefore, I do not know what the correct coding should be. Perhaps someone else can add more information.

Have Fun!

Don

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Change the code to 0010023 and see what happens.

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
Didn't even realize mine went missing but its back now (changed the last digit as instructed).
What i found odd was my coding was 0010400, the "1" referred to front and rear monitoring inactive". I saw no difference when i coded it to "4" front and rear monitoring active. I'm using coding 0010401 now.
I change the code to 0010401 and don't I get "AUX IN" and I do have the premium 6 CD changer radio. I also have the adapter under the arm rest. It is a 2009 Jetta sedan.

I did the same code change for another fellow Jetta owner 2 days ago and his worked like magic.

Any idea why it would not work on my Jetta?

dsiminiuk

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
I have a 2009 MKV Sedan and about a week ago I started the car like I have done every day sine I got the car, and the radio came on at very high volume and would not turn off. The volume would not adjust in any direction and it would not even switch off by pressing the volume button. The only thing that would turn the radio off was to turn the car off.

When I restarted again the radio seemed to be back to it's old self except that the AUX input is no longer selectable.

I know I have to code in VCDS to fix it.

Just sharing the experience.

And as it turns out my friend who has VCDS is out of the country until next year sometime.

Daniel
Plano, TX

weggman

Veteran Member
TDI
Had 74 to date 2006 Mk5 custom TDI
Hey anyone I have a 2010 jetta TDI with the touch screen radio. I tried to code the radio and it gave me 4 option checkmarks. #2 was to restrict aux which resulted in a 04 code nothing was checked before when I started and using the longcode helper it is 01000000. When I use the 3rd option which is AUX monitored active I get a 07 code. None of which allow me the option on the radio to use aux. The funny thing is when I brought it to the dealer when it was new they couldn't figure it out either. I when so far as to remove the aux plug from the center console and even removed the radio to verify the plugs were in correctly. We bought it used in 2012 with 36k miles on it and VW wouldn't help us on the radio. I have my own vagcom but don't really know how to recode well. Any advice?

philmcneal

TDI
None
my dealer charged .8 on the labor rate to fix the aux, did I get ripped off?

2009 tdi dsg highline (Canadian model)

i lost the aux option after disconnecting the 12 volt to do my DSG fluid

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my dealer charged .8 on the labor rate to fix the aux, did I get ripped off?
This is pretty much a matter of opinion. Did your dealer do the DSG service? If they disconnected the battery, they should have fixed it as part of the service. If they did not disconnect the battery, they have a right to charge a fair labor charge. As I understand it, this is MUCH easier to do with VCDS than it is with the dealer's clumsy scan tool procedure. Is it worth .8 hours? I do not know. All I know for sure is that anyone with VCDS would have probably done it for you for a beer, or a couple of dollars, or whatever you could afford.

Have Fun!

Don

philmcneal

TDI
None
thought so... yeah no they didn't do the dsg service, they were doing my wheel balancing though and i wanted them to fix that, but they wanted to "DIAG" it then fix it... even though I told them about the fix ahead of time.

go figure thanks for the reply

alan_f

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2005.5 Jetta
How hard would it be to put some non-volatile memory to hold settings so you don't lose your aux jack when you have to change your battery?

I just ran into this problem with my 2009 TDI Sportwagen -- anyone know if the mobile or lite version of VCSD can change this setting using a bluetooth OBD interface?

Thanks,
Alan

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just ran into this problem with my 2009 TDI Sportwagen -- anyone know if the mobile or lite version of VCSD can change this setting using a bluetooth OBD interface?
VCDS-Mobile requires a Ross-Tech HEX-NET wi-fi interface (it is actually built-in to the interface itself). It does not work with any bluetooth device.
VCDS-Lite does not support CAN bus cars and your car is CAN bus, so the answer here is also no.

You must find someone with a CAN compatible interface (MicroCAN, HEX+CAN, or HEX-NET). Sorry.

Have Fun!

Don

alan_f

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2005.5 Jetta
VCDS-Mobile requires a Ross-Tech HEX-NET wi-fi interface (it is actually built-in to the interface itself). It does not work with any bluetooth device.
VCDS-Lite does not support CAN bus cars and your car is CAN bus, so the answer here is also no.

You must find someone with a CAN compatible interface (MicroCAN, HEX+CAN, or HEX-NET). Sorry.

Have Fun!

Don
Don,

Thanks for the info, it was helpful so I could figure out who I needed to talk to or what tool I would need. I figured it would be too easy if I could use the OBDII tool I already had, but that it was worth asking just in case.

Turns out the shop I usually go to, Frey's Foreign Car Service in Boulder, Colorado, did the coding without charging me. They made money off of me anyway since I bought the battery from them and they just serviced the car, but I would have been willing to pay them for the 5 minutes it took of their time. I'm sure it helped that from this forum I was able to tell them exactly what needed to be done and they didn't have to do any troubleshooting.

My 2009 Jetta TDI had "0010400" in the radio controller section (address 56) which he changed to "0010401" and it worked immediately after the code was accepted.

Now I can listen to my tunes again instead of ads and DJs that talk too much.

Thanks,
Alan