HELP!!! What did I do electrically???

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1990 Corrado G60 (AHU soon)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sure you got the right wire? Sounds like you've hit something for the ccm.

Or, I think the ccm takes power from the same place, would a bad earth on the stereo cause issues at the ccm?

If you unplug the stereo does it all go back to normal?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh I'd start there and work backwards, you could also maybe hook up vagcom, it might have a fault stored in the ccm and with that and the pin outs you might get a better idea of what's happening.

So much easier over here, our cars come with a standardised European plug fitting so no chopping required.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
About to do this job myself and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put an inline fuse on the line between 75X and the stereo.

The guy on the link doesn't do it.. but I'm pretty sure terminal 75X is only fused with one of the big-ass fuses on top of the battery... and for my own piece of mind I want a fault on the stereo to melt a 10A fuse before it melts the wiring while it waits for the big fuse to blow. :)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Your car will burn before the big fuse ever blows.

OP: sounds like you messed with the can-bus wires. They are usually a twisted pair of wires that run to the radio. You need to isolate these as many modules communicate over that bus. Its like USB for your car.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
I assume that is the blue block of wires in the main connector. They are not actually connected to anything now as there is no provision for them in the universal harness adapter.
So what do I do with them?
Or do I have to relegate myself to manually turning off radio every time I get out of the car?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Done right.. wiring switched power from 75x should do what you want... stereo goes on and off with the key.

The question is... what went sideways? :) :)

Always hard to troubleshoot wiring issues without standing in front of it or looking at pictures. If you unplug everything that you did does the car start to behave?

Odds are something in the "universal harness" is making incorrect assumptions about your car's wiring... unplugging it would be one way to narrow it down.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I assume that is the blue block of wires in the main connector. They are not actually connected to anything now as there is no provision for them in the universal harness adapter.
So what do I do with them?
Or do I have to relegate myself to manually turning off radio every time I get out of the car?
Nope, the can wires are with the power/ground wires IIRC. The plug you are talking about is for an external CD changer.

SkyRyder55

Veteran Member
TDI
OK so radio disconnected and all is back to normal. So that's good.
Solved the problem.
Was a stupid assumption on my part. There are 3 brown wires in adapter harness all labelled mute. On the deck there is a brown for phone mute. I twisted and soldered all together. Obv not the right idea.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK so radio disconnected and all is back to normal. So that's good.
Solved the problem.
Was a stupid assumption on my part. There are 3 brown wires in adapter harness all labelled mute. On the deck there is a brown for phone mute. I twisted and soldered all together. Obv not the right idea.

I feel a face palm moment has just passed :D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Needs the illumination wire from the car hooked up to the dimming wire on the stereo, not all have it but a number do.