Help - Wet seats - What to do?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
So after working a 15+ hour day, I got off the train last night and cruised home with windows and sunroof open. Got home, rolled up the windows and went to bed.

Woke up in the middle of the night to a torrential downpour. The wife was woken up too and says something to the effect of "I hope I closed my sunroof." I didn't even give mine a second thought - in fact I took comfort in the fact that mine was closed and drifted off to sleep for another hour or two. When I walked out to leave for work today I discovered that her's was closed and mine wasn't.

My front seats were soaked. Like soaked through, made a wet noise when you touched them. I grabbed a couple of the best bath towels we have, got as much out as I could quickly and then headed off to work sitting on a towel.

Didn't have a chance to get to it until about an hour ago. The seats have dried considerably, however they are still wet to the touch. I tried using my wet/dry vac to extract some of the water. It may have worked, but I think it just brought some more to the surface.

I went to the local quick detail shop and they had closed for the day. I would have paid for whatever type of extraction they use to clean seats.

TL;DR - Seats soaked from rain after stupidly leaving sunroof open. So I'm wondering what my best options are here to get the long term damage sorted out. Seats are SEL Leather / microfiber. Thanks!

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I'm assuming you don't have anywhere to get the car inside(garage). If you do a big fan with all the windows down might speed up the drying process.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If they are as wet as you say removing them and the carpet and pad and cleaning/drying them outside the car would be my guess.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
A fan blowing on the seats would be the best option. If the carpet got wet I'd consider taking the seats out (4 triple square bolts) so you can dry the carpet under them.

J

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
All of the above...lots of air movement...and time. If you're methodical, and don't allow the wet seats to sit in a closed car, I don't think you'll have a problem with mold/mildew.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^or...if you have access to 120v, AND own a household dehumidifier, I'd put it into the closed up car (sitting level on a board) and let it run. It would dry it out in a day or two...
czeetah's solution is easier, but probably takes longer. The dehumidifier would raise the temp a bit as it dehumidifies.

Do you have any vacation time available? Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a long road trip to Arizona!!!

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Oh Boy, I hope the electronic's in the seats are okay too. Try sucking out with a wet/dry vac as much as possible. Contact a detail shop and ask what they recommend. I would also be concerned if it rained that hard, was there any wind that could have sprayed the dash and other components? I would make a habit of when exiting the car, with the door open, just pull up and hold the drivers door window button and all windows and sunroof will close. Sometimes I like to leave my sunroof popped up during the day at work, but then we'll get an unexpected downpour that only last a few minutes. I wish there was an option to close everything with the key fob so I don't have to run out outside and do it.

MikeTV

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-TDI 3.6 SE
I agree with the fan, lots of air too. Maybe a small portable dehumidifier running inside, with a drain hose outside of the car? Might have to put a seat down to make sure it's level. My dehumidifier from Costco can pull a lot of water out of the air in no time.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Just turn on the seat heaters! Just kidding, but I would assume that they are insulated enough that they wouldn't short when something was spilled. I'd probably unbolt the seats and set them out in the sun.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The earlier Passats had the VCDS option of auto close windows and sunroof/auto wipers when it sensed rain. I believe this was lost though in the 2014's but they gained remote close windows/sunroof in its place. This has saved me a few times in my 2013 year car.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
close the windows and turn on the a/c and set the heat to high. after running for a few minutes open sun roof. run for a few more minutes then turn off. open all windows and let air dry. repeat as necessary.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^this would work with a superficial amount of moisture. It sounds like the OP got more than a superficial amount.
I'd wager that the electronics/seat heater will be just fine, as long as you get it dry ASAP.
Yes, lightflyer1, the 2014s saw the return of keyfob window/roof open/close. You need to activate it, though.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Came out this morning and the seats were drier, even though the car sat closed.

I stole the Eva-Dry out of my fermentation chamber and it's sitting in the car now hopefully absorbing any moisture that it can. So far, so good. All the dash electronics were not wet at all, nor the carpet. Just the cupholders, small storage area in front of the console and the seats.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don: I'd strongly recommend NOT closing the car up, period, for several more days. Just the slightest amount of mildew/mold can really mess up a car.