Help w/ rear hatch trim panel removal

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
Hi - is there anyone in Halifax area who has removed the inner trim panel on the hatch door of a jetta wagon before?

I've got to access the locking switch mechanism and wiper motor to fix a couple of issues. I've read that it's a PITA to remove the trim; and I'm prone to breaking stuff - so if anyone has done this please let me know - I could meet you sometime to pop that off, then I'd be on my way to fixing the parts in behind there...

Mark.

ve9aa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GLS TDI 271,000kms
First, I am not in Halifax, nor have I removed the panel from a Jetta wagon...however, on my 02 Golf, it was a PITA to do and I ended up breaking it very slightly. If it's at all the same (and I have never even seen the inside of a Jetta Wagon door) there are 2 hidden screws in the "pocket handles" that you use to close the door. Also there are clips all the way around the circumference. I used a screwdriver and also a pry-driver (not sure of the correct name) to gently unclip it all the way around as I went.....and still I broke some plastic. If you can, do it in a heated garage after the plastic has warmed up a bit.
HTH

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Great idea about warming up the plastic first! I didn't think of that. My luck I would definitely break something if I tried it in cold weather. I will delay this until it's over +10C. Guess I'll have to deal with the lack of rear window washer & bum rear hatch lock switch for now. No big deal - I'd rather be occasionally annoyed by that as opposed to get really frustrated wrestling with cold plastic clips and then breaking something....

ve9aa

Veteran Member
TDI
My hatch lock on the Golf gave up the ghost too. Please read !

What I discovered was that the windshield washer unit was leaking. It's a weird setup on the Golf, and I'll PRESUME the Jetta wagon might be the same part. (of course, I am just geussing here, so "grain of salt; all that)

Was happens is VW sends the washer fluid through a small metal tube in the middle of the washer arm ! It of course, it's under stress, rusts, cracks and then leaks down inside your door every time you clean your rear window.

Solution (for me) was to 100% block off the w/w pipe until I can replace with a separate jet in the future. I pulled it off the leaky pipe, folded it over and zip tied it, so even if I do "squirt" fluid out to the rear hatch accidentally, the pump motor can't actually send it anywhere.

I am sorry to say, but it gets worse if this is your problem. If your wiring harness gets wet with w/w fluid and corrodes (which mine did ) , then you will have issues with all door locks, alarms, non-opening or locking of the rear hatch etc.

It can potentially be a real really bad PITA not being able to open your trunk/hatch and then needing to "break it if the problem gets real bad. (or not being able to lock your car, if you care about that sort of thing)

The computer really freaks out when that harness near the rear lock gets wet. I did a search on the forum and there are many threads on this.

The solution in my case was to get that pc of harness in the rear hatch area...going from the lock to ?? replaced. The lock itself was OK once it dried out.

Be ye warned !

HTH again

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
pain in the ass.
Right. but what does HTH stand for?

So nobody around HRM has taken this trim piece off before?

ve9aa - would you be willing to help me remove this next time I'm in F'ton? - if you're available and provided it's not too cold....

ve9aa

Veteran Member
TDI
HTH= hope this helps. Last time I did the inside of my Golf hatch was 4 yrs ago and I ended up breaking it slightly. I don't think I am the best guy to help you. I would definately not do it outside @ this time of year...cold plastic = brittle.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
I have a latch that I bought from texas with a lead of wire , If anyone ever has a bad one. I put it on kijiji awhile ago..

16vws

TDI
2003 Golf ALH
Removing hatch lower trim panel

I just completed an overhaul of the rear window washer on my '03 Golf TDI. 160k miles in Minnesota siezed the water tube and it broke off, of course, causing the fluid nozzle to rotate with the wiper and internal leaks. Caught it in time to prevent major damage.
Getting the lower trim panel off was easy following AllData instructions which show a VW tool for the job, a simple wedge. I improvised one that may be even better. It looks just like a carpenter's tapered shim but is made of hard wood. Taper the tip to about 1/8 in or a bit thinner.
Remove the two screws in the lift handles, then push the wedge between the trim and metal, starting on the bottom about 4 in. from a corner. Push it in and down until it contacts the panel inner surface. Give a rap on the tool to pop the first mount. Work across the bottom to pop all 4 evenly-spaced mounts, then up the sides for the middle mounts, and finally pull on the panel to pop the 4 top mounts. Detach the panel from the upper trim on each side by releasing the plastic latch and sliding it out of the channel.
My mounts are spring steel in metal slots, so I greased them for easy reassembly. Plastic mounts might benefit from grease, too.
See repairing wiper motor for other tips.

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta trendline 2.0 liter
i found that mine came off rather easily. there are two screws that hold it where the recesses are for your hands to open hatch. then just start at one corner and pull. it would be a good idea to do this when it is warm as we are working with plastic. other than the two screws. the panel is held in place by plastic retainers that just push in place when reinstalling panel. i had to remove mine three or four times from my 03 jetta wagon to replace wiper motor. did not break mine when removing.

good luck

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I removed mine on my golf to fit a 9'4" surfboard, my 9'0" fits with it installed, the 9'4" just fits with it removed!

It was easy for me, two screed and then start on the corners first (pop all four) and then slowly just pop them off evenly. I used the lug nut method of jumping across each time you release one, seemed to come off smooth for me. I haven't reinstalled mine for months...

Getting them warmed certainly will help.

Infanct, I'm in florida, I'm sure the day I removed it was hot and probably helped me out without me realizing it.

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Great tips - thanks guys! I actually have not gotten around to this job yet :eek:, i just don't use the rear washer... but the wiper is starting to get seized so will have to tackle this sooner or later...

Hankster

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 spd Manual 501,600 km = 311,680 miles
People keep saying that there are screws in the recessed handles. My 03 does not have these screws
and the liner is too tight to pull out.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
People keep saying that there are screws in the recessed handles. My 03 does not have these screws
and the liner is too tight to pull out.
Golf? Start here, with post #4: