HELP! Trans issue

Sambodean

TDI
2013 Jetta 6spd
Driving home in my newly acquired 2013 Jetta tdi manual, well kept with 79k on the clock, and new clutch etc under two years ago.

issue- driving home, 6th gear 55mph, coming to a light, pressed clutch, shift to neutral, but the shifter is sloppy. I press the gas and the engine revs, like it’s not in gear, and I continue to try to find a gear to no avail. Coast into a parking lot. Cars off, shifters sloppy up and down, can’t put it into reverse. I start the car, but now the car is in 6th gear? When I let out the clutch, it bogs down, so I guess I found a gear when I crept to a lower speed.

I removed the shifter boot, and some plastic bits look worn and broken for sure. I checked under the hood next to the battery where the other linkage is, but couldn’t get a good look. I’ll post pictures when I get home

Tomorrow I’ll pack some tools with you alls advice and work on it some, or tow it to a place here in central Florida.

Last edited:

Sambodean

TDI
2013 Jetta 6spd
How far from home are you? Maybe you can manually shift into 3rd or 4th under the hood, then turn the engine back on and slowly get back to speed.
Thanks! luckily, I havent started my journey "home" yet. I got a ride back to a family members house to stay the night, and Ill make it back to the car in the morning.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Google for a local independent VW repair shop. Better chance of finding someone who can fix instead of replace.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It likely broke one of the shifter cable end bushings which are inside the shifter box under the car, and not easily accessed.

Sambodean

TDI
2013 Jetta 6spd
It likely broke one of the shifter cable end bushings which are inside the shifter box under the car, and not easily accessed.
Thats what I'm assuming at this point. Diesel geek offers a solution without removing the exhaust and heat shield, its still a giant pain in the ass. c'est la vie

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah I just fix them from the bottom.... I'm not cutting holes in people's cars. But the bushings work fine.