Help: Too much torque when installing the glow Plug: Am I screwed?

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS A/T, 2001, Silver
Hello,

I'm a newbie and live in Mississauga area. I drive a 2001 TDI GLS Auto.

I was installing a glow plug myself last night and it seems that I put too much torque because it snapped and became really loose when I was tightening it (I did it by hand in the beginning). Now I can't take the glow plug in nor take it out.

I was using a new torque wrench that I just bought from Princess Auto, I set it to 11 ft lbs but unfortunately the torque wrench didn't seem to work :(

Could someone please advise what I need to do now? I found on another thread that taking the engine head and helicoil is the only thing to solve it but I don't really know how to do it.

Also, is it safe to drive the car around (not sure if there is high compression behind the glow plug) ?
I didnot dare to try starting the engine and was thinking to have the car towed to Techmax Auto tomorrow.

Sorry for asking too many questions. I guess I am just really nervous. :confused:

Thank you!

Toto

dttech

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Black
It would depend on whether you stripped the threads or broke the plug. If you broke the plug, you might be able to get it out but if you stripped the hole which is less likely then you do have a bit of a problem.
If you broke the plug, you might be able to remove the top and get a left hand thread easy out in there somehow to remove the rest.

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks so much for the response.
Is there an easy way to find out if I broke the threads or the plug?
Also, how do I remove the top of the plug?

Thanks again.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It could be either a broken plug or stripped threads. Would need to take a look to see for sure. Either way, head removal is not necessary. The hole can be tapped & helicoiled without removing the head. Just apply lots of grease to the tap to catch the shavings. Where in Mississauga are you? I may be able to take a look at it during the day tomorrow if you are available.

LMK.

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
I live in Mississauga West (Britannia and 9th Line).

Do you think it is safe to start the engine and drive the car? If so, I can meet you somewhere to take a look at it.

Thanks.
Toto

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It should be safe. But you will get a CEL, but I can clear that for you. I work near the 427 & QEW, so I can meet you near there. But I won't be able to fix it, but I can at least take a look at it and point you in the right direction. If you don't mind a drive to Whitby after dinnertime, I can probably fix it at my house if its just a broken plug. But if its a stripped thread, I don't have any heli coils that are the right size for the glow plug (M10 I think???) I only have M8 heli coils. Is there any way you can take a picture of the plug? That might save us both a trip?

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
I work in downtown but I pick up my son at Queensway and Kipling (near the volkswagen dealership) on my way back so I can meet you somewhere in that area around late afternoon (if that works for you). I also don't mind to drive to Whitby after dinner time. Let me know whichever one works best for you.

Thanks a lot.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I work just up the street from Queensway & Kipling. But I finish at 3pm. It can probably wait till tomorrow morning if you want to leave for work a bit early, I can meet you anytime after 7am? Or, feel free to drive out to Whitby. I have spare plugs available.

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
You probably work not far from my wife's work. She works at the OPG complex on Kipling just north of Queensway.
Perhaps it is better if I drive out to Whitby after dinner time (if that's ok with you). Which day and time would be best for you?
You can PM me with the address or send me an e-mail to toto.surya@rogers.com

Thanks so much again!
Toto

dttech

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Black
I may have an M10 Helicoil at work. Will check tomorrow, if you need it LMK and we can arrange something if i have one.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Threads were fine. It was the plug that broke. It was just spinning in the hole. So I snapped off the head so I could extract the rest:

I then took a torx bit and used it as an extractor. I hammered it into the hole and spun it out with a ratchet:

It took a few tries as I had to get it in deep enough to grip. It was stuck prety good. Here is a close-up of the torx bit in the broken plug:

And here is the broken plug:

All in all it took less than 1 hour including clearing the code and a test drive to check the MAF.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Wingnut said:
Threads were fine. It was the plug that broke. It was just spinning in the hole. So I snapped off the head so I could extract the rest:

I then took a torx bit and used it as an extractor. I hammered it into the hole and spun it out with a ratchet:

It took a few tries as I had to get it in deep enough to grip. It was stuck prety good. Here is a close-up of the torx bit in the broken plug:

And here is the broken plug:

All in all it took less than 1 hour including clearing the code and a test drive to check the MAF.
Nice one Nigel!;)

toto

Veteran Member
TDI
I can't describe in words how relieved and happy I am today. :)
Nigel is a very nice guy and a pro. We also had my EGR code modified.
BIG THANKS, Nigel! I really appreciate you spending the time for this out of your family hours.

Toto

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
There he goes again!!!! Rescuing people... Trying to put VW dealerships out of business... :D

Nigel... were you a lifeguard in your previous incarnation ???

Way to go !!!!!!!!

Yuri.

BTW: what size Torx bit did you use ???

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Nigel's my hero ;)
Great job, although we don't expect anything different! Glad it worked out and that the threads weren't stripped!
Cheers,
-BB

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I was surprised at how fragile the glow plug was. It was overtorqued when installed and the head just sheared. But the core was still attached, so I had to twist it off & break it so I could extract the base that was stuck.

A torque wrench is overkill on glow plugs. They do not need to be very tight at all. Just spin them till they bottom out in the head and then just snug them up a bit. There is no need to apply excessive force. They way I torque them down is to place the head of the ratchet in my palm and tighten the plug. That way I do not use any leverage from the handle of the ratchet.

mystic.bertie

TDI
VW GOLF (AJM) 1.9TDI 115BHP
I was surprised at how fragile the glow plug was. It was overtorqued when installed and the head just sheared. But the core was still attached, so I had to twist it off & break it so I could extract the base that was stuck.

A torque wrench is overkill on glow plugs. They do not need to be very tight at all. Just spin them till they bottom out in the head and then just snug them up a bit. There is no need to apply excessive force. They way I torque them down is to place the head of the ratchet in my palm and tighten the plug. That way I do not use any leverage from the handle of the ratchet.

Hi mate can you tell me what size of Torx bit you used to remove the glowplug???? ;););)

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
did the same thing 2 years ago on my jetta, stripped thread inside the block... Went the heile kit route that diddn't work out, loss of compression, hard starts, eventually sold the car for 500 bucks...

damn princess auto.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Has to be at least a #35 torx, possibly a 40.

Edit: After looking at it again, at least a 45 I figure. If you have any 10mm bolt laying around, that's the gp thread size, just use that to compare to a torx and drop it a size.

Last edited:

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Maybe 'we' on the Ontario forum should think of something nice to do for Mrs. Wingnut (given the patience she has shown as Nigel has helped most of us out over the past 10 years)?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Maybe 'we' on the Ontario forum should think of something nice to do for Mrs. Wingnut (given the patience she has shown as Nigel has helped most of us out over the past 10 years)?
Ban Nigel for a few weeks so she can have some 'alone' time..

:) :)

mystic.bertie

TDI
VW GOLF (AJM) 1.9TDI 115BHP
the problem im having is broken glow plugs on my 2.2 Tid saab. I tried a t40, it just spun, i got a t45 in nicely, it snapped, so i now have ordered a dremel multi tool so i can remove the broken torx bit. The t50 was taking a bit much force to hammer in so i stopped with it.
Im thinking the glow plug thread may be rusted to the cylinder head, it wont budge. I did leave it overnight sprayed with penetrative oil (home mix 50/50 acetone and atf). Tried with engine warm. So it looks like im gonna have to drill the thread out to just under 9mm and pick out the thread, then tap the body of the glow plug m6 and use an extractor to get it out.