Help Request! Have your Bentley handy??

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
I need to finish installing my clutch tonight. It seems I have the wrong (not to mention cheesy) manual. Can anyone let me know the following for my '98 Jetta TDI (AHU motor):
1) what are the torque specifications for the Flywheel to Crankshaft bolts?
2) also, what are the torque specifications for the Clutch Cover to Flywheel bolts
3) And of course, any easy way to tell which end is which for the trowout bearing mount (ie...I can't tell which end just pivots and which end the slave cylinder pushes on)

Are these stretch bolts...must they be replaced?...Thanks in advance for any help or info. --Chris

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
OK..I got answers per Steve Carol (sp?). In case anyone searches on this topic...

Stage I:
44ft Lb on the Flywheel to Crank Bolts... Then angle tighten 90 degrees

15ftLb on the clutch cover to flywheel bolts

The actuator lever: Pivot end has a hole and is slightly more pointy.

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
Bentley also says the flywheel to crankshaft bolts are strech bolts that must be replaced.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
The additional 90* is tough without an impact gun or the flywheel locking tool. You can mark the flywheel and bolt heads with a sharpie then hit them with the impact to get the 90* without the flywheel locking tool.

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
So it's ok to use an impact? Thanks a lot...That's a huge help!! I took an initial stab at doing it the hard way...Yikes...that'd take some serious torque.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
"44ft Lb on the Flywheel to Crank Bolts... Then angle tighten 90 degrees"

Hmmm same as the rod bolts on the 350 series Deere engines. I use my half inch breaker bar for the final 90.

Want tight? How about 270+ 60? And do that 320 times.

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
Help me understand... 270ft lbs + 60 degree ... 320 times? Does not compute...what the hell is that for? Then again, you are a rocket builder for reputable brand.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Help me understand... 270ft lbs + 60 degree ... 320 times? Does not compute...what the hell is that for? Then again, you are a rocket builder for reputable brand.
270ft lbs + 60 degree repeat 320 times?

Track pad bolts for big excavators. Fun times.