Help please, 2003 VW Jetta TDI Fuel Line Replacement

TSturtledove

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Trying to be a good car owner I have recently changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter on my 2003 VW Jetta TDI. I want to change the fuel filter as well but looking at the condition of the fuel lines I feel they might just desintagrate in my hand when I try to remove them. I got six feet of regular fuel line to replace the line on the opposite side of the filter from the engine (it looks like regular line should work, just has a few fancy bends in it), but the side that runs from the engine to the filter has a section of clear tubing with a bend molded into it, so I don't think regular fuel line will cut it there. Am I wrong, and I can actually use regular line for that section as well? Or, does anyone know of a place I can get a good replacement part for the line from the filter to the engine?

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
The clear section is required by law to allow a visual inspection for off road diesel fuel which has red dye in it, but it's also useful for checking for air bubbles in the lines after changing the filter. Whether or not to use regular line in place of it is your choice, but it will work just fine. Make sure that you allow enough slack in that and the return line to account for engine vibration if you go that route!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There is no such requirement. Automatic transmission cars were equipped with fuel lines that did not have a clear section in it.
Yes you can use fuel line that can handle diesel fuel.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
That said, the clear section is in fact very handy for troubleshooting things like the all-too-common "the thermal T is letting air into the system". :)

I'd not delete it, personally.

TSturtledove

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
That said, the clear section is in fact very handy for troubleshooting things like the all-too-common "the thermal T is letting air into the system". :)

I'd not delete it, personally.
Any ideas on where I can find a replacement with the clear section for less than $130?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Search with your favorite search engine for 1J0130307R.

If the only bad parts are the hose ends, cut the old band clamps and clamp on new hose ends with new clamps.

Corvairer

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 360k miles and climbing
Search with your favorite search engine for 1J0130307R.

If the only bad parts are the hose ends, cut the old band clamps and clamp on new hose ends with new clamps.
Thank you for that idea. My hose ends are intact, but dry-rotted. What size (I.D.) hose would I need for that? Also, would regular low pressure fuel line work, or would it need to be specifically diesel resistant? Thanks.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Measure the nipple on a fuel filter and you've got the ID. It's not a high pressure fuel system (through the hoses) so the hose just needs to be able to handle diesel/bio-diesel fuel. Your local auto parts store should be able to figure it out.