Help!!!! New to VW

Jyounger

TDI
2002 beetle
Hey there. I have a 2002 beetle tdi and it has a coolant leak. It come out on the drivers side and I can hear a sizzle by the firewall but my heater works fine . What could this be. I have never had a Vw before let alone a diesel. I just need the cheapest fix possible so it stops getting hot. The red temp light flashes and has not stayed a solid red so I think I might be ok but I am not knowledgeable on Volkswagen or diesel motors. Please help me. Thanks from a mother with too muc

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The flashing temp light means your coolant is low. On the drivers side there is a flange mounted on the end of the head, that is the most likely place for a leak. Those flanges are plastic/composite on the auto transmission models.

Or it could be just the temperature sensor which is leaking that is mounted in the back of that same flange with an O ring and held in place by a clip. Someone may have replaced the sensor in the past and not fished the old O ring out of the mounting hole and now there are two of them in there causing the leak.

I’m assuming you have an automatic transmission. If yours is the highly reliable and desirable manual transmission then it’s more likely to be the temp sensor leaking.

It could also be one of the hoses leading to the coolant flange. You’re going to have to do some looking and identify where the coolant is actually coming from.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
In addition to the above, avoid driving with the coolant below the "MIN" marking on your coolant expansion tank. The correct way to top it off is a 50/50 mix (depending on season and location, and "Paradise" doesn't help us) of VW G12 coolant (or current equivalent) and deionized water.

If you use a strong flashlight to follow the large black rubber tubing from the radiator to the engine and back, you might be able to spot the leak or a buildup of dried coolant at the point of the leak. If it's on the underside, it's tougher to see.

There are several posts with a layout of your engine and how-to's for coolant leaks, so a search will also help. Little of this will be specific to VWs or diesels, other than "where are things" and "what do they look like."