Help Needed, First Time with VCDS

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
VCDS PDF

Here’s my first run with Ross-Tech VCDS. I did this with the car turned off and ignition on. Should I test again with engine running?

1. I know I have a bad fan, or at least I thought it was a bad fan. It says movement restricted I’ll take another look tonight as it says intermittent is there a chance it kicks on and off?

Ignore the EGR and Particulate filter.

2. ABS, RPM, TPMS faults. This is one I want to clear soon as my dash looks like a Christmas tree. Any help on what steps I should take on fixing?

Any help will be beneficial. Let me know what I may need to do. Rather run test again with engine running or what not.

Cars been sitting a while and I just replaced timing belt using DG kit, installed Sigma6, aluminum skid, new tires, etc. I would like to get this car running like as good as I can. I’ve been driving it and it’s doing great just tired of the fault codes.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
Well you can test the rad fan through vcds. Did you get it second hand?
Yes, I bought the car 2nd hand. It only had about 36k miles on it when I purchased last year.
So I can manually make the fan spin up in VCDS?

Just checking, did the .pdf link work for you?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No I was talking the cable. Lol. I can make a quick video about the fan. Maybe the fuse was pulled. But the code would tell you.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
No I was talking the cable. Lol. I can make a quick video about the fan. Maybe the fuse was pulled. But the code would tell you.
Oh, the cable was purchased new.

Also click the link in the original post. It has the code and everything the cars doing when test was ran with ignition in.

I’d appreciate a video. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos while I can at work.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
My experience here is to get a good initial scan and save to a log (for future reference), then clear all the historic fault codes and see what you get on your next drive.

I'm curious about "01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502)" under Address 03 - ABS, since our cars don't have J502.
I wonder if a previous owner fiddled with some coding here; see this post for an idea: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/tp...sic-setting-adaptation.9422783/post-114592125

BTW, no need to have the engine running, unless you need to look at measurement values (e.g., A/C operating pressures, exhaust gas temperatures, idle speeds, etc.) for diagnosing various run-time conditions. --g

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The TPMS thing somebody messed with the settings and change something. I'll have to go through coding to figure out what they messed up. Your DPF needs to be replaced as well as your egr. It probably be easier just to delete if you can.

Also it seems like your radiator fan motor itself is bad cuz it says it's jammed.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I think your TPMS problem might be related to the ABS issue. I can’t remember which models/ years detect soft tire by different speed registered by ABS on that wheel. I’m happy to not have TPMS.
It’s easy to damage the wiring to a wheel sensor when changing struts, I’d start there.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Having read through part of your VCDS file I suspect you may have bogus codes. Is your battery ok? Alternator ok? Did you post something about losing your serpentine belt? Can’t remember if that was you. If so I think that might cause low voltage and all sorts of nonexistent codes to pop up. I’d do as Gertol suggested and save codes then clear them. See what comes back.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I think your TPMS problem might be related to the ABS issue. I can’t remember which models/ years detect soft tire by different speed registered by ABS on that wheel. I’m happy to not have TPMS.
It’s easy to damage the wiring to a wheel sensor when changing struts, I’d start there.
The jsw's over here I believe all used the speed sensor

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
My experience here is to get a good initial scan and save to a log (for future reference), then clear all the historic fault codes and see what you get on your next drive.

I'm curious about "01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502)" under Address 03 - ABS, since our cars don't have J502.
I wonder if a previous owner fiddled with some coding here; see this post for an idea: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/tp...sic-setting-adaptation.9422783/post-114592125

BTW, no need to have the engine running, unless you need to look at measurement values (e.g., A/C operating pressures, exhaust gas temperatures, idle speeds, etc.) for diagnosing various run-time conditions. --g
The TPMS thing somebody messed with the settings and change something. I'll have to go through coding to figure out what they messed up. Your DPF needs to be replaced as well as your egr. It probably be easier just to delete if you can.

Also it seems like your radiator fan motor itself is bad cuz it says it's jammed.
Having read through part of your VCDS file I suspect you may have bogus codes. Is your battery ok? Alternator ok? Did you post something about losing your serpentine belt? Can’t remember if that was you. If so I think that might cause low voltage and all sorts of nonexistent codes to pop up. I’d do as Gertol suggested and save codes then clear them. See what comes back.
I did clear all codes and they all immediately came back tonight.

I tried a new battery, but didn’t have VCDS at the time to clear codes to see if they came back. I just installed new battery ran a 5 mile loop came back and changed battery back out to the prior one.

I’d imagine most of this is related to the actual ABS sensor. I’m assuming that’s also what it’s referring to as an RPM sensor?!? and yes this car doesn’t have an actual TPMS in the wheel, it goes by the speed the wheels rotate and determines if there’s an issue.

I can try a new battery again and clear the codes this time. Just hope they don’t question me if I take 2 batteries back to Costco haha.

Also the car will be getting deleted and tuned. I already have the pipes and flashvilla just need to make time for install. I will say I can smell diesel fuel outside the car near front passenger side the most. I’m wondering if the egr has something to do with this.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
@tanner : It could be that someone added Address 65 (TMPS) to the CAN Gateway J533 (Address 19), defined by Byte 3 bit 0:

But, wait -- your VCDS scan shows only 3 bytes for Address 19; ours has 11 byes. That doesn't sound right. --g

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
@tanner : It could be that someone added Address 65 (TMPS) to the CAN Gateway J533 (Address 19), defined by Byte 3 bit 0:

But, wait -- your VCDS scan shows only 3 bytes for Address 19; ours has 11 byes. That doesn't sound right. --g
Speaking in riddles for me unfortunately, it probably doesn't help that the program I used looked nothing like the one you just shared a photo of.
I did see Address 19 CAN GATEWAY (J533) and I'm assuming Byte 3 is it's Fault Priority.
However maybe I overlooked it, I didn't see Address 65 (TPMS) I saw TPMS without an Address assigned to it, but it did look like this picture attached.

TPMS Picture

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
@tanner : The screenshot is from the Long Coding Helper (or something like that) from VCDS. You'll want to take a look at this next time you have VCDS connected to your car. Open Address 19 - CAN Gateway, and look for "long coding". The J533 tells the CANBUS what devices/modules to expect. In this case, your car doesn't have module J502 for Tire Pressure Monitoring, so it shouldn't be coded for J533 in Address 19. --g

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
Another question, I’m currently waiting on some wheel speed sensors and do not know if this is related, but sometimes when I first start car and 10 mins of driving the gear on mfi is incorrect and the speed is wrong. I can be in 1st or 2nd and mfi shows 1st. 3rd can say 2nd. 4th - 6th can say 3rd. All the file can be doing 70 on the interstate and speed and cruise say I’m going somewhere around mid 30s.

then the car corrects itself and reflashes the warnings. Strange