Help needed 2013 Jetta SW TDI starter issues-not cranking

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
Hi, My 2013 JSW with the push to start button will not turn over, Called for a jump thinking battery, some smoke from under the battery, no crank, had to get it towed. I've removed the battery trying to get to the starter to check on the solenoid and ground but can't get the airbox out or the battery tray. Has anybody been in here, I can't find any posts for direction and anything would be appreciated.

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
I guess it's remoed from ther bottom not the top. Does anybody have the R & r from the repair manual?
Cheers,Vic

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Is the starter clicking? Check the intercooler icing issue and stop trying to start until you verify its not hydrolocked.

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
No Clicking, nothing, just dead, it's happened once before but started, I cleaned the Battery terminals but I guess that wasn't it. I'm looking for the relay now. Anybody know where it is and how accessed, it might be more of the smoke and sparks reason?? Thank you!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
No Clicking, nothing, just dead, it's happened once before but started, I cleaned the Battery terminals but I guess that wasn't it. I'm looking for the relay now. Anybody know where it is and how accessed, it might be more of the smoke and sparks reason?? Thank you!
The starter relay is under the dash the middle relay in the row of 5 relays.
If there is smoke coming from the starter area though, likely either the engine is locked up or the starter is failed. I would first try to use a ratchet and socket to turn the engine over by hand.

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
Thank you, I;m on it, or it looks like under it...
Where abouts under the dash, fuse box is on the side of the dash, I see a black cover under the instrument panel on drivers side>.

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
Hi all,
I did find my issue was the starter. I purchased a new one on E Bay, best for the $$$ and New!
Replacing the starter was not that hard and is done from the top.
Remove the cover on the battery
Remove
Remove the air cleaner cover
On the front part of the air cleaner,
Removed large snap ring from the intake
Use a little WD-40 or oil on the rubber mounts holding the air cleaner and battery box together it will help separating them. Remove the bolts from the battery tray remove the ground from the starter or not the start of the job Audi to the party grounds remove the plug, holding this, has the cable on to the solenoid .
The two bolts are 16 mm and or 8 mm hex lift the hoses on the top one wiggle and get the right size socket for the lower one. Don’t forget to remove the wire deposit wire. Remove the starter. I’ve been to check mine got nothing.
The front part of the air cleaner on snaps the top, and then the box below it that has the round portion in it.
Good luck, I did this a while ago and the description may be a little rough but it should be a good over view.
Vic